Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I have a simple question; why are imperfections a problem in NFR but not in UV? Because this album also has imperfections/flaws too (intentional or not, it doesn't matter, since even intentional flaws are a problem for you guys, so let's go that way), and it doesn't seem to bother anybody, whereas with NFR, imperfections are dramatic for y'all and that makes Jack a bad producer.

In West Coast, we can hear her say "mic check one two" between the verses.

Pretty When You Cry has a constant white noise.

Old Money has white noise too.

And mouth sounds are there too if you pay attention, for example around 0:24 in Black Beauty.

So why isn't that a problem? Why should it be a problem with NFR? I'm sure that if we pay attention, all her albums have little flaws. So why the fuck does it have to be a big deal with NFR??? Except the white noises (which are in tracks produced by Rick, not Jack), most of the flaws that you guys found are nearly impossible to notice, or don't bother. I never found the volume changes annoying. I think it brings more intensity to the songs. And it's not like it's going to break your ears.

I swear some of you are arguing for hours on how bad the production of NFR is without even looking around and realising that the album y'all praise (UV) has more flaws than the one you criticise.

P.S.: If flaws make Jack a bad producer, that means Dan is a bad producer too, no? Let's stop with the nonsense with Jack. Thanks.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

I do not find pleasure in the misery of others, but it's actually quite hilarious coming here and seeing you acting like Jack is the second coming over Christ and acting like NFR is Lana's only great album, just because the same sucky critics that overlooked Lana's entire discography up until now woke up from their long winter's nap and finally gave her some sort of recognition. Also, acting like this is literally her only interesting album. 

Jared you are the funniest, literally.

DistantShimmeringAmericantoad-max-1mb.gi

you and him have been feuding for like the last week holy hell. do you guys ever get tired?

let’s agree to disagree. it has flaws in some parts to some, it’s flawless to others. who gives a fuck

who wants to guess on the color of the vinyl?

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I have a simple question; why are imperfections a problem in NFR but not in UV? Because this album also has imperfections/flaws too (intentional or not, it doesn't matter, since even intentional flaws are a problem for you guys, so let's go that way), and it doesn't seem to bother anybody, whereas with NFR, imperfections are dramatic for y'all and that makes Jack a bad producer.

And mouth sounds are there too if you pay attention, for example around 0:24 in Black Beauty.

So why isn't that a problem? Why should it be a problem with NFR? I'm sure that if we pay attention, all her albums have little flaws. So why the fuck does it have to be a big deal with NFR??? Except the white noises (which are in tracks produced by Rick, not Jack), most of the flaws that you guys found are nearly impossible to notice, or don't bother. I never found the volume changes annoying. I think it brings more intensity to the songs. And it's not like it's going to break your ears.

I swear some of you are arguing for hours on how bad the production of NFR is without even looking around and realising that the album y'all praise (UV) has more flaws than the one you criticise.

P.S.: If flaws make Jack a bad producer, that means Dan is a bad producer too, no? Let's stop with the nonsense with Jack. Thanks.

Then I have a simple rebuttle - why are you bringing up Ultraviolence? Dan Auerbach is probably not going to produce the next album, so there is little point criticising and discussing his (yes, bad!) production. I would love to chat through Ultraviolence's annoying points (there are way more than the four you listed) in the Ultraviolence Post Release Thread! You didn't even mention the different mic and recording quality of the strings on Old Money . . . 

Considering their working relationship, it's reasonable to assume that Jack Antonoff is probably going to produce Lana's next album. Thus, we are keen to discuss the possibility of his sloppy (intentional or not) production. Also, as a side-note, I clearly pointed out that the ambient hiss is "Rick's trademark fuckup" and wasn't a huge attack on Jack, it was a comment that the album being sonically uneven.

Highlight my signature for more opinions!

Your opinion that these things don't matter are just as valid as our opinion that they do, so getting mad at us and demanding we ignore the flaws we can clearly hear is sort of pointless. Although I suppose it would be handy if I didn't hear music as intricately. Imagine how livid I was when I heard a performer grind their teeth on a cast recording recently.  :oic:

You are the Monica Geller of production, and I'm worried that I relate to you a lot!

:kiss2:

3lfQEhw.png

To me it really feels like ppl try to find excuses as why they do not click with the album as much as with her previous ones. You may not like the imperfections, but they are not mistakes. 

Elevating a "flawless" production as something universally better does not look better than the obsessive Jack stan endless trolling!

To me it really feels like ppl try to find excuses as why they do not click with the album as much as with her previous ones. You may not like the imperfections, but they are not mistakes. 

Elevating a "flawless" production as something universally better does not look better than the obsessive Jack stan endless trolling!

I love the album and listen to it everyday. I can still hear the mistakes. They are not mutually exclusive.

3lfQEhw.png

Then I have a simple rebuttle - why are you bringing up Ultraviolence? Dan Auerbach is probably not going to produce the next album, so there is little point criticising and discussing his (yes, bad!) production. I would love to chat through Ultraviolence's annoying points (there are way more than the four you listed) in the Ultraviolence Post Release Thread! You didn't even mention the different mic and recording quality of the strings on Old Money . . .

I can't believe I took time to read your entire post missing my whole point...

The reason why I'm talking about UV is because people who criticise NFR because of the flaws also praise UV even though it technically has many flaws too. And yeah Dan isn't going to produce her next album but he still produced UV and the album has flaws, so why doesn't that bother people? Why are the flaws in UV acceptable but not in NFR? That was my point.

~?~

I can't believe I took time to read your entire post missing my whole point...

The reason why I'm talking about UV is because people who criticise NFR because of the flaws also praise UV even though it technically has many flaws too. And yeah Dan isn't going to produce her next album but he still produced UV and the album has flaws, so why doesn't that bother people? Why are the flaws in UV acceptable but not in NFR? That was my point.

UV?? Flaws??? hunnnyyyyyy.... we must be listening to two different records.

ultraviolence, the 2014 criminally underrated, incredible, flawless album by ms Lana Del Rey? 

there is not a single track, or even a single moment on that album that is bad. zero production flaws. literally ... magnum opus ! 

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

ultraviolence, the 2014 criminally underrated, incredible, flawless album by ms Lana Del Rey?

there is not a single track, or even a single moment on that album that is bad. zero production flaws. literally ... magnum opus !

UV has many flaws/imperfections. Did you even read my first post about it?

~?~

UV has many flaws/imperfections. Did you even read my first post about it?

sadly I did just skim it and honestly? I want to pour bleach in my eyes. x 

no but for real yeah there are a bunch of production """flaws""" in UV but who actually cares? literally every album ever has production flaws if you listen *so* closely, and it depends on what you consider a production flaw. hearing breaths between vocals or hearing white noise doesn't make it an objective flaw. everything about music is subjective. but anyway my point still stands, UV is a flawless album and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to find god. AMEN!

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

UV?? Flaws??? hunnnyyyyyy.... we must be listening to the same record.

ultraviolence, the 2014 criminally overrated, unlistenable, garbage album by ms Lana Del Rey?

there is not a single track, or even a single moment on that album that is good. plenty of production flaws. literally ... worst album ever !

but for real, ultraviolence is a very flawed record. not only its shitty production, but also songs which are entirely cringy lyrics wise (fmuttt and mpg) and overall unlistenable garbage tracks (pwyc and guns n roses).

UV?? Flaws??? hunnnyyyyyy.... we must be listening to the same record.

ultraviolence, the 2014 criminally overrated, unlistenable, garbage album by ms Lana Del Rey?

there is not a single track, or even a single moment on that album that is good. plenty of production flaws. literally ... worst album ever !

but for real, ultraviolence is a very flawed record. not only its shitty production, but also songs which are entirely cringy lyrics wise (fmuttt and mpg) and overall unlistenable garbage tracks (pwyc and guns n roses).

Am I the only  one in this goddamn forum who likes  fmwuttt , mpg and pwyc??? I love those tracks and fuck my way and mpg are meant to be sarcastic.

But we all have different taste and yeah  you can find on most of the albums some flaws but they can be amazing albums  even if there are not 1000% perfect in terms of production.

By the way: This thread gets a litle bit out of control :tongue:  :scream:  :trisha:  :monica: 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

sadly I did just skim it and honestly? I want to pour bleach in my eyes. x

no but for real yeah there are a bunch of production """flaws""" in UV but who actually cares? literally every album ever has production flaws if you listen *so* closely, and it depends on what you consider a production flaw. hearing breaths between vocals or hearing white noise doesn't make it an objective flaw. everything about music is subjective. but anyway my point still stands, UV is a flawless album and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to find god. AMEN!

The thing is, if we don't care about the flaws in UV, why do we care about the flaws in NFR? Every album has flaws. UV has flaws but it's still incredible. So is NFR. And the flaws in NFR don't make Jack a bad producer. Just the same with Dan or Rick. My posts were more a call out to the people criticising NFR's flaws and making it the reason why it's not that good foe them, while praising other albums that have more flaws and calling them perfect

~?~

Omg babe. I forgot you couldn't like stuff without acknowledging flaws. Please! Speak your sage words at my funeral. I wouldn't want to leave this world without your insight x

don't understand the attitude but ok  :rip:

I knew NFR was gonna be Lana's magnum opus ever since I heard the first singles and I wasn't shy about saying it out loud. I didn't need the critics to tell me the obvious. I don't know why you always bring them up because all they did was to confirm the obvious.

And I don't think NFR is Lana's only good album. I think both Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are solid albums that have some great parts (especially the first half of Ultraviolence). 

And when you really think about it, all this anger about NFR is kinda pointless considering White Hot Forever is most likely going to surpass it and become the best album of all time. 

tenor.gif

I knew NFR was gonna be Lana's magnum opus ever since I heard the first singles and I wasn't shy about saying it out loud. I didn't need the critics to tell me the obvious. I don't know why you always bring them up because all they did was to confirm the obvious.

And I don't think NFR is Lana's only good album. I think both Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are solid albums that have some great parts (especially the first half of Ultraviolence).

tenor.gif

The way they get so triggered over your views :rip:

You don’t even need to quote them, they just go off :rip:

Anyway hope WHF will be good

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

Ahem. Guns and Roses says hi. Also FMWUTT. Literally two of her worst songs in her career. Coachella IS WAY BETTER THAN THESE 2 . PERIOD.

Am I the only one in this goddamn forum who likes fmwuttt , mpg and pwyc??? I love those tracks and fuck my way and mpg are meant to be sarcastic.

But we all have different taste and yeah you can find on most of the albums some flaws but they can be amazing albums even if there are not 1000% perfect in terms of production.

By the way: This thread gets a litle bit out of control :tongue: :scream: :trisha: :monica:

Are we going to ignore the fact that Pretty When You Cry was literally done in one take? Like of course it's going to have slight flaws. :rip:

Sorry but on NFR they definitely had a different approach, not so much live takes, hence why it's weird that all these mistakes still came through while mastering the record?

You can already tell from the first 30 seconds of the title track that the production and mastering of the record was sloppy, you can literally hear Lana smacking her lips and the piano sounding hella tinny and her vocals sounding really flat/compressed when she goes for the high note halfway through the song. :rip:

Reading everyone's different personal experiences with this record has been so inspiring and beautiful. We don't all agree on things, but that's what makes it special. We all see things differently and I think this thread has done a great job showcasing our individuality and the different wavelengths we all fall under. Luv u all and luv this record with my whole heart. Lana has done a lot for me this year, from me winning the signed UO vinyl, to her responding to my question in a livestream, to finally actually getting to see her live in concert for the first time. It has been a magical time for me, and I hope that for all of you, it has been just as magical if not more. If not, your time will come. I assure you. I've been a fan since 2014, and it took till now for things to really happen. It's been a blast. Luv u all once again.

giphy.gif