Elle

LDR7 / White Hot Forever - Pre-Pre-Release Thread - OUT SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2020

Exactly it's not to say that I don't like NFR, or that I don't think it's a bad album, I just couldn't care less for Jack's production on this one. To me it just falls flat comparatively to all her others albums (even Lust for Life).

Even the songs that I absolutely love on this album there are things I hate about the production (cue to The greatest, Norman Fucking Rockwell and California). The piano on NFR sounds like it was recorded with the cheapest microphone ever it sounds so bad you guys and also the instrumentals on The greatest... like the entire instrumentals lack bass and when it sorta pop off after she sings "I guess I'm signing off after all" it sounds so distorted and cheap, and it's a shame because that's like the best song on the record for me and even there the production is super lackluster. Also California pretty much sounds like a demo.

I totally agree, i dont know why but every record that Jack produces sounds cheap and unfinished as fuck, listen to St Vincent - Smoking Section and you will understand

the only nice track he produced is the greatest and still there are so many things that could've been better about it but that's another story

Using him as a producer was so much wasted potential.

Imagine if Emile or Dan did it :defeated:

I understand that she wants to work with people that make her feel comfortable, but she should try to get out of that comfort zone and contact different producers 

I could name a few that I think would work amazingly with her: Blake Mills, John Congleton, Adrian Utley, Ben Chisholm, Oneohtrix Point Never, The Haxan Cloak (the latter 2 are experimental electronic musicians but their latest work are heavily based in classical music in a contemporary mood).....................even andrew watt did an amazing job with DT/FIIL

the album could've been her 2nd best album if it was produced the right way :creep: when I heard she was working with Jack I was exited but turns out he murdered all her ideas and turned them into something so flat and boring that literally the whole album sounds like a demo.... it could've been so much better with the tracks exploding into something fucking big and glorious considering the fact that it was recorded in like a fucking year but no she didn't even bother to write a different verse for happiness and all we hear is piano piano piano piano like fuck no...... at least if she's using piano on every track she could like add a few strings or nice beats or something... if it wasn't for the greatest/fuck it I love you this whole album would've made me want to die. are electric guitars and a finished sound too much to ask? :crying2:

:rip:  :rip:  :rip:

For real though, the album was recorded a year ago and this is what we ended up with in terms of sound AND sound quality, choices. All tea right there!

Everyone in here trashing Jack's production...

MAC

VB

NFR

TG

CG

and LS

are not going to be laughed at...

The might be the best songs on the record, but the production of these tracks is fucking atrocious. They all have that dry/flat tone about them and the vocal mixing is a mess (except maybe Love Song), it sounds like it was recorded with the cheapest microphone they could find. 

Honestly I was so sad when I heard the HQ leaks of this album (which were FLAC files I might add, in other words possibly the highest sound quality music files available to everyone out there) and thinking this is what this album was meant to sound like???

Another day of Lana ''fans'' getting together to pray she becomes a pop star again and trashing Jack's immaculate production because it isn't cheap, overblown and overproduced trash. A never ending circle jerk.

Hopefully after this new album they finally join Halsey's stan boards and leave us alone.

tenor.gif

the album could've been her 2nd best album if it was produced the right way :creep: when I heard she was working with Jack I was exited but turns out he murdered all her ideas and turned them into something so flat and boring that literally the whole album sounds like a demo.... it could've been so much better with the tracks exploding into something fucking big and glorious considering the fact that it was recorded in like a fucking year but no she didn't even bother to write a different verse for happiness and all we hear is piano piano piano piano like fuck no...... at least if she's using piano on every track she could like add a few strings or nice beats or something... if it wasn't for the greatest/fuck it I love you this whole album would've made me want to die. are electric guitars and a finished sound too much to ask? :crying2:

All the instrumentals of this album (except Cinnamon and also How To Disappear) they pretty much all lack that climax moment, like you keep waiting for it to happen but the song they never kinda take off? And also as much as I enjoy Happiness Is A Butterfly, to me it sounds like she mashed three different songs together, the transition between each verse is very non-sensical to me. Jack is a wannabe great producer, he likes to think that he's like the best at this game and like Lana seems to think so too, which is odd to me since she has worked with Emile Haynie, Dan Auerbach, Rick Nowels, Tim Larcombe and even Rick Rubin (even though it was just for one song, to me, from a production standpoint, Ride is literally her best track).

Another day of Lana ''fans'' getting together to pray she becomes a pop star again and trashing Jack's immaculate production because it isn't cheap, overblown and overproduced trash. A never ending circle jerk.

Hopefully after this new album they finally join Halsey's stan boards and leave us alone.

tenor.gif

Another day of pretending like the production of this album is not all over the place and doesn't sound like the music equivalent of Chuck's photography and editing skills. It has literally the least immaculate sound of all her albums. I honestly suggest you to go back and revisit her discography. You might stumble across an album called Honeymoon, which has literally the most immaculate sound and is far from pop music!  

There's a difference between wanting good production values and wanting Lana to go down the pop road again, henny. 

giphy.gif

and also Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Billie Eyelash and all those little effers are trash.

I dont know about the other guys but all I would want from Lana is to experiment with other producers that would push her limits. Lets just not pretend that these piano tracks are immaculate because they are obviously not... they are the same thing we hear from pop artists when they wanna pretend that they're "vulnerable" or "emotional"

And when i talk about experimentation is not 5 minutes of Jack hitting that guitar like hes playing it for the first time over some cheap synth with Lana adlibbing "whoah whoah whoah whoah whoah  whoah  whatever...."

Jack and Lana won't repeat themselves. Remember when it was first announced that they were working together and everyone expected it to sound like Taylor Swift and Lorde albums? And it ended up sounding nothing like that. I bet this new album will sound nothing like NFR.  

I honestly suggest you to go back and revisit her discography. You might stumble across an album called Honeymoon, which has literally the most immaculate sound and is far from pop music!  

go off

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Jack and Lana won't repeat themselves. Remember when it was first announced that they were working together and everyone expected it to sound like Taylor Swift and Lorde albums? And it ended up sounding nothing like that. I bet this new album will sound nothing like NFR.  

Let's just hope you're right about that.

go off

There's no arguing there though, Honeymoon, from a production point of view, is her best album! It has the most lush, refined and cinematic sound of all her albums. I can't believe this masterpiece turns four years old tomorrow!

giphy.gif

I don't think NFR is very innovative but at the same time when I listen to it I get a very fresh and unique vibe, so there's that. Before release I really thought I wouldn't like the album but I really like it, it's not my favorite but it's a very good album. I don't 100% agree with the comments about Jack's production, he can get very bland sometimes but he also produced some really amazing songs like NFR, VB, FIILY, TG and HIAB. And even the more bland ones like MAC and LS are still amazing but I think thats more due to Lana's writing and melodies.

Anyways, if it were up to me she would ditch him and work with someone else. I don't think she and Jack will go that further away from that sound. Like, take Taylor for an example: reputation and Lover were both produced by him and they sound like two parts of the same album :rip: I hope they surprise us.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

i was promised hot surf tracks and rhcp influences yet I was given piano ballads and unpolished production.... I wanted to give her my money SO BAD but well :teehee: but that's okay tho........... I hope I'll be able to buy every single copies of WHF and all of her merch, i'm gonna start saving money today, and if it sucks I'll use that cash to buy crack, BUT anyways, i just feel in my guts that's it's gonna be a honeymoon-paradise type of record.

and beef stroganoff can go to hell

I've personally learned not to trust what Lana says when she describes the album's sound prior to its release. The way she described both Honeymoon and Lust for Life prior to their release turned out to be completely different, or somewhat very inaccurate (for better for worse).