Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

My first post although I have been a Lana fan since 2011. First I want to say, the fake lyrics this era are really good! Especially the lyrics of Hidden in the Hills, it really sounds like Lana's words but without being a parody of Lana-isms. It kind of has me hoping the lyrics aren't fake because there is something sinister about those lyrics and I would really love an album with a bite to it.

Anyway, I have been thinking about the title "Chemtrails Over the Country Club", and I thought I would share some interpretations and connotations that might reveal something about the sound or themes of the album. Maybe some of these are a stretch but here goes.

• Flight is a symbol of freedom, and we know that Lana was previously taking pilot lessons. In the opening verse of "Hope...", Lana sings about disliking the social pressures of being expected to behave in a certain upper class and feminine way. A country club is an embodiment of that culture that makes her feel suffocated, and she looks up in the sky to see chemtrails and wishes that she could fly away. Lana also just went through a breakup, metaphorically taking flight and leaving her relationship behind. Thematically this album will deal with concepts of freedom and liberation. For Lana, freedom may be closely related to romance. Lana suggests in many songs that she struggles with finding personal fulfillment or contentment when she is not in love. To be single is to be free, but in Lana's case, to be in love is also a form of freedom from her own void. I am expecting an album that at times conveys deep infatuation (al Love Song, Video Games), and also deep introspection as Lana discusses what "freedom" means to her at this stage of her life (ala Change, Hope is a Dangerous Thing).

• The name also seems satirical. It seems to mock social elites, people who are affluent enough to belong to a country club, and ignorant and paranoid enough to believe in chemtrails or other government conspiracy theories. We know that Lana has become progressively more political, and hates president Trump and his voters. This album title to me suggests that she may be trying to get inside the heads of these types of people. There is a sense of anxiety in the title, as if the subjects of Lana's satire feel that their white country club suburbia is being invaded by outsiders and threatened by a changing world and culture. This same type of discomfort with a rapidly changing world can be felt on The Greatest. Lana may be expanding on that theme by exploring the phyche of people who are mentally still living in 1950's suburbia but physically living in a world of social media and fear mongering politicians and government conspiracies, etc.

• Even if the above point is a misinterpretation, the word "country club" is strongly associated with the upper class. Lana's early music was fixated on the lifestyles and culture of the upper class. Satirically or not, she idolized the rich. Lana's relationship with money has changed a lot and like the more she gets the less she cares about it. I don't believe that this album will have the same perspective on the 1% as BTD or pre-BTD songs, but it is basically guaranteed that Lana will put the spotlight on them one more time on this album.

• Finally the word "chem" can be a slang term for drugs, specifically methamphetamines, which Lana has sung about in the past and even has a song titled after. The image of a pristine blue sky polluted by chemtrails reminds me of the way that Lana suggests that her body has been polluted when she sings "drugs are in my veins, I'm running out of time". Flight can also be an allusion to being high, like when Lana sings "I'm flying to the moon again, dreaming about Heroine". Also, one symptom of methamphetamine use is extreme paranoia and belief in Government conspiracy theories, such as believing in chemtrails. I am expecting this album to deal with drug use, either explicitly or implicitly, and have an overall more trippy sound than any of her past albums.

• I am expecting an album of strong juxtapositions. The production will be a tug-of-war between lush-beauty (the country club) and harsh psychedelia (the chemtrails). There will be gorgeous piano ballads, there will be psychadelic songs like Venice Bitch and West Coast or maybe a more electronic psychedelia like Heroine, and perhaps there will even be orchestral string arrangements that recall BTD.  The album will be extremely passionate and sensual, but there will be an underlying current of anxiety throughout the entire album that reflects both Lana's personal anxieties, and also larger social anxieties about class, race, coronavirus, president Trump, etc. In the same way that FIILY takes an abrupt turn, Chemtrails will be full of twists and turns lyrically and sonically. One second Lana is in love, the next she is contemplating death. One second Lana is enjoying being in the country club, the next she is staring at the chemtrails. 

Let me know if you agree or disagree with any of this, or if I am just putting way too much thought into this.

My first post although I have been a Lana fan since 2011. First I want to say, the fake lyrics this era are really good! Especially the lyrics of Hidden in the Hills, it really sounds like Lana's words but without being a parody of Lana-isms. It kind of has me hoping the lyrics aren't fake because there is something sinister about those lyrics and I would really love an album with a bite to it.

Anyway, I have been thinking about the title "Chemtrails Over the Country Club", and I thought I would share some interpretations and connotations that might reveal something about the sound or themes of the album. Maybe some of these are a stretch but here goes.

• Flight is a symbol of freedom, and we know that Lana was previously taking pilot lessons. In the opening verse of "Hope...", Lana sings about disliking the social pressures of being expected to behave in a certain upper class and feminine way. A country club is an embodiment of that culture that makes her feel suffocated, and she looks up in the sky to see chemtrails and wishes that she could fly away. Lana also just went through a breakup, metaphorically taking flight and leaving her relationship behind. Thematically this album will deal with concepts of freedom and liberation. For Lana, freedom may be closely related to romance. Lana suggests in many songs that she struggles with finding personal fulfillment or contentment when she is not in love. To be single is to be free, but in Lana's case, to be in love is also a form of freedom from her own void. I am expecting an album that at times conveys deep infatuation (al Love Song, Video Games), and also deep introspection as Lana discusses what "freedom" means to her at this stage of her life (ala Change, Hope is a Dangerous Thing).

• The name also seems satirical. It seems to mock social elites, people who are affluent enough to belong to a country club, and ignorant and paranoid enough to believe in chemtrails or other government conspiracy theories. We know that Lana has become progressively more political, and hates president Trump and his voters. This album title to me suggests that she may be trying to get inside the heads of these types of people. There is a sense of anxiety in the title, as if the subjects of Lana's satire feel that their white country club suburbia is being invaded by outsiders and threatened by a changing world and culture. This same type of discomfort with a rapidly changing world can be felt on The Greatest. Lana may be expanding on that theme by exploring the phyche of people who are mentally still living in 1950's suburbia but physically living in a world of social media and fear mongering politicians and government conspiracies, etc.

• Even if the above point is a misinterpretation, the word "country club" is strongly associated with the upper class. Lana's early music was fixated on the lifestyles and culture of the upper class. Satirically or not, she idolized the rich. Lana's relationship with money has changed a lot and like the more she gets the less she cares about it. I don't believe that this album will have the same perspective on the 1% as BTD or pre-BTD songs, but it is basically guaranteed that Lana will put the spotlight on them one more time on this album.

• Finally the word "chem" can be a slang term for drugs, specifically methamphetamines, which Lana has sung about in the past and even has a song titled after. The image of a pristine blue sky polluted by chemtrails reminds me of the way that Lana suggests that her body has been polluted when she sings "drugs are in my veins, I'm running out of time". Flight can also be an allusion to being high, like when Lana sings "I'm flying to the moon again, dreaming about Heroine". Also, one symptom of methamphetamine use is extreme paranoia and belief in Government conspiracy theories, such as believing in chemtrails. I am expecting this album to deal with drug use, either explicitly or implicitly, and have an overall more trippy sound than any of her past albums.

• I am expecting an album of strong juxtapositions. The production will be a tug-of-war between lush-beauty (the country club) and harsh psychedelia (the chemtrails). There will be gorgeous piano ballads, there will be psychadelic songs like Venice Bitch and West Coast or maybe a more electronic psychedelia like Heroine, and perhaps there will even be orchestral string arrangements that recall BTD.  The album will be extremely passionate and sensual, but there will be an underlying current of anxiety throughout the entire album that reflects both Lana's personal anxieties, and also larger social anxieties about class, race, coronavirus, president Trump, etc. In the same way that FIILY takes an abrupt turn, Chemtrails will be full of twists and turns lyrically and sonically. One second Lana is in love, the next she is contemplating death. One second Lana is enjoying being in the country club, the next she is staring at the chemtrails. 

Let me know if you agree or disagree with any of this, or if I am just putting way too much thought into this.

I think you drive home some really interesting points about flight, freedom, and the chemtrails connotation with drug use. Hell, could also be some sort of meaning of “heroin tracks” which we know she’s sang about before. I think it could be a stretch, but it’s a point to think about. I also think you’re right about FIILY but with that song leading back to the title track where she’s saying he fucked her so good she almost told him she loved him, then turning about and saying well, fuck it, i DO love you, there’s a lyrical turn within the first few tracks. I also expect to hear some interwoven lyricisms like that as well again, maybe on one track she’s singing about missing her drugs or alcohol (which is sort of what some think the title track of UV was more so about rather than a person named Jim, but as in Jim Beam). Maybe it’ll talk a bit about sobriety but drinking at the country club whether in a metaphorical way or in a literal sense

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

u've definitely got some points there. I love thinking about the possible juxtapositions btwn the perceptions of class, awareness. freedom, and still somehow being sheltered by it. like how you're free, but if ur too reliant on it, is it really freedom, or just an escape? that sorta thing. or how there's security in freedom, but in turn that could be too wild, and ya just get hedonistic.

contrast w how refined the country club is, to the wildness of the outside. varying degrees. 

chemtrails, since no one's mentioned, can definitely also be a kind of allusion to her emotions, and her views. it's enveloping, and skies above the upper class. her emotions can be a way of retaining her essence, in a very tailored world, if even just the club. I'm definitely thinking she's gonna have like, some sort of reckoning for ______ track, and a kind of calm from it. I'd love for there to be a specific ecstatic type of track.

definitely think she's gonna have sharp commentary and play it off w satire. it's one of her favorite literary tools imo

admittedly, I'm still a bit reluctant to get excited for anything specifically too political on her part.. she does best when her work's more easily interpretable imo. she's got a knack for really being able to flesh out the world of her records, and how it ties to culture overall, so I hope she delivers that as she's always done before.

edit: tagging option might've cut my post.. but

​I'm getting some sort of degree of truth, tones. maybe drunk, maybe sober. that or like potential love goddess? can't really know for sure atm but just a guess. 

really wanting an aggressive HM, but strangely enough, I think we're getting a sort of BTD/ LFL. something Paradise-esque if we're lucky. just based off the title

UV/Honeymoon

its gonna be like nfr except even more boring i know this because i astrally projected into her brain and absorbed all of the information for cumtrails over the cuntry club. she should do something like btd except with less cringey gangsta attempts. "we wuz born 2 die"

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

its gonna be like nfr except even more boring i know this because i astrally projected into her brain and absorbed all of the information for cumtrails over the cuntry club. she should do something like btd except with less cringey gangsta attempts. "we wuz born 2 die"

I would love for her to work with Emile again and create an album that could be a mature version of BTD, with songs that sounds like Wait For Life, Starry Eyed, etc.

tumblr_plbqy2X0Hg1twenha_400.gif

This is exactly what I have been thinking and hoping the record will be like! You couldn't have said it any better  :D   :gclap:

i know shes never gonna but what if Lana started singing in a more grunge style like she did in that one nirvana cover omg i would go crazy it would rekindle my soul and bring me to depths of physiological euphoria not previously known to human experience and then i would die of a stroke    :hooker:  :hooker:  :hooker:

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

do you guys think she's going to go literal with the chemtrail concept and have actual chemtrails on the cover?

instead, i kind of want her to surprise us and do something out of left field but still very lana.

(and not as tacky as the NFR cover obv).

She’s going to give us a landscape cover like Looking for america , she won’t be on the cover, mark my words

i'm convinced a Kanye West-produced album would give Lana the fresh direction she needs. he's an insane album curator - ik many of y'all may not be rap fans but he made amazing albums for Pusha T, Teyana Taylor and tomorrow is releasing an amazing collab w FKA twigs (actually Ty Dolla $ign's song but you can tell their styles work together) and I just know he would help create something beautiful and boundary-pushing. 

nice cocc bro

tbh honest i think her political views have changed after the madness she recieved 2 months ago.

The summers hot and i've been cold without you... watch me: https://www.youtube.com/thisisruskoatqq1.jpg

I hope to god she doesn't recycle any more lyrics for this record and expands her vocabulary beyond just the post-2012 tumblr party dress craazzzyyy soft ice cream... 

RIGHT.... that's part of the reason I don't connect w Love Song, bc of how predictable and lazy the lyrics are "in my party dress I'm a fuckin mess" girl hang it up

Wq9zHLl.jpg

When Lana remixes Barbie Tingz and hits us with the “let’s be real, all you bitches wanna look like me” bars >>>>

OMG that would be iconic.

Can you imagine????

Lol Twitter going at it again, publishing fake news about LDR, saying she is scrapping the album because the tracklist leaked and that she is upset over the backlash received with her recent Insta pictures. People are so gullible.