Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

I have mentioned this before. In one of my videos I wanted her to do an exercise where she writes 10 songs, no cursing, no reference to famous people songs etc. and no basic love song stuff. Let her creativity take her to different places. No more,

"we couldn't get higher, our love was on fire, my baby's flat tire, sext on the wire, my lover's a crier, Mom called me a liar" and on and on.

Love you Lana.

Absolutely agree. When she steps away from tired 'romance' cliches, she writes dynamic songs like 'Cola,' ''Gods & Monsters,' 'Old Money' and 'Swan Song' that no one else could have written. If she wants to utilize romantic cliches, let her save them for her fun satires of contemporary pop, like 'Making Out' and 'Meet Me in the Pale Moonlight,' which unfortunately seem to be a thing of the past. 

That's part of what sunk NFR for me, the fact that at least half the tracks were, lyrically, 'things she dreamt up in the tub,' as one reviewer once said about Kate Bush, songs LDR could have written while in a coma. It's usually not a good sign when an artist starts repeating themselves, and LDR has begun doing that. 

I hope so omg. We all want her to be happy in her private life but songwise her dark stuff is best in my opinion

I agree with this too. Nothing is better than when a capable, talented artist tackles 'the darkness,' because that's really the essential territory of the creative personality, not the common, mundane world of the everyday.

I have an entire playlist called 'Darkness Makes It Easy' that includes only songs that deal with everything we reject as 'negative,' 'shadow' facets of human existence like rage, jealousy, greed, betrayal, dominance, loss, loneliness, arrogance, selling out, settling, frustration, resignation and even garden-variety hate. I've added quite a few LDR songs in it, like 'Gods & Monster,' 'Old Money,' 'Swan Song,' '13 Beaches,' 'Heroin,' and 'The Greatest,' but also unreleased tracks like 'Velvet Crowbar' and the ultimate LDR dark song, 'Live Or Die.' 

Where would Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Led Zeppelin, Nico, Marianne Faithfull, Elton John, The Eagles, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, Kate Bush, REM, Tori Amos, 10,000 Maniacs, Natalie Merchant, Fiona Apple, Will Stewart, Brett Detar, Kaleo, Kassidy and hundreds of other artists and bands be without exploring the darkness? 

Might be an unpopular opinion, but if, and I really mean if, Lana actually has an actual concept for this album. In my opinion, 'Chemtrails Over The Country Club' is a brilliant album title.

But going by statistics, besides the title track this album is probably going to be pretty random and inconsistent in terms of concept.

The thing is that the 'chemtrail,' as an idea, is 15-20 years old at least, in terms of actual chemtrails as such, and the conspiracy theories about them, having any cultural relevance. Todd Haynes' film 'Safe' came out in 1995--25 years ago--and that's like a century in a culture that moves as fast as we do today. 

And as an idea or conspiracy theory, 'chemtrails' never caught on in a big way in American or Western culture, any more than 'orbs' in photographs did---most people were smart enough to realize that chemtrails are just that--the exhaust left behind by jets, often during training missions. That's why so many here had no idea what 'chemtrails' referred to. It's not as if the word 'chemtrails' had immediate impact like the name 'Roswell.' 

So it will depend on what LDR does with it (assuming she does something with it). It could still work, and the obscurity of the term might work in her favor. 

I would love for her to work with Emile again and create an album that could be a mature version of BTD, with songs that sounds like Wait For Life, Starry Eyed, etc.

Full agree again. She seems to feel obligated to 'mature,' 'tackle the problems of the moment,' and 'prove to the world that she's a legitimate artist,' but I think she came across as more mature and fully-rounded in her earliest LDR incarnation, when she had a light, deft, effortless and confident touch. Since then, the effort has shown itself in the work again and again, which is never a good sign in an artist, and she appears to be stumbling from album to album and Instagram post to Instagram post--in fact, everything seems to be full of effort with increasingly less result. 

The same thing happened with Madonna. Even though she had 'conquered the world' in a manner almost no other musical artist before her had, she felt pressured to be 'taken more seriously' and so started producing thick, dense and cumbersome albums that people tolerated while they hoped for something freer. 

I'm an ultimate NFR stan but I've always said the lyrics were it's worst part. There are powerful lyrics such as MAC, TG and hope but the rest of the album seems quite lazy on songwriting part. Love song literally is the summary of Lana's most used words, there is nothing happening in that song. California and cinnamon are way too repetitive etc.

It is. This is what I was talking about a few pages back.

Why am I checking this thread so regularly, we all know she isn’t gonna do or say anything of much interest for at least a month right? (Prove me wrong lana)

Terrence’s mom had a feeling for the 17th... I trust her :)

I would love if she were to expand the sound from the UV outtakes, like color blue, fine china, your girl, say yes to heaven, flipside etc... those songs are incredible

YES PLEASE, or something like the second half of Honeymoon with the italian vibes of Salvatore / the darkness of The Blackest Day / the luxury and lust of 24

shades-of-cool-GIFS-lana-del-rey-3722791

I have mentioned this before. In one of my videos I wanted her to do an exercise where she writes 10 songs, no cursing, no reference to famous people songs etc. and no basic love song stuff. Let her creativity take her to different places. No more,

"we couldn't get higher, our love was on fire, my baby's flat tire, sext on the wire, my lover's a crier, Mom called me a liar" and on and on.

Love you Lana.

"my baby's flat tire, sext on the wire" destroyed me  :rip:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

off topic but the person who tweeted that is genuinely so stupid so don't believe anything they tweet lmao

"You ungrateful little fuckers deserve nothing." Sure she wanted to say this when LFL leaked but stood only with the "you little fuckers" tweet lol

Is anyone here familiar with Shirley Jackson or her literary works? She is my favourite author and has reminded me of Lana a lot. Her life is somewhat similar to Sylvia Plath and we know Lana is a big fan of hers. I could definitely see Lana gaining inspiration from Shirley and was just wondering if anyone else thinks this.

the what

You don't remember sis? When LFL leaked she tweeted "you little fuckers" bc of the people that were sharing it online

You don't remember sis? When LFL leaked she tweeted "you little fuckers" bc of the people that were sharing it online

oh yeah whoops i was just confused by the beginning of ur post bc i didn't fully read that fake lana post

I can’t wait for Lana’s new album called Trackmarks-Over-The-Cunt Club

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

i feel like the lyrics in cocc will be bitter, but not outwardly angry. some lyrics that are sharp and to the point, but i don't expect any full song to be about her frustration that she tried (and failed) to convey in her instagram post. definitely some satire in there, i think lyrically we'll get something somewhat similar to paradise. but one thing i don't expect is for this album to be sad.

i also think it's going to be very confident yet painfully honest. it's no secret that recently she's been more open with her personal life, which is something we rarely ever have seen from her. just within the past few months she's made countless allusions to her poor relationship with her mother, posted a picture of her reading the alcoholic's anonymous big book, and of course her god awful instagram post. it seems like she's ready to talk about areas of her life she wasn't comfortable sharing before; areas of her life we maybe already have made assumptions about, but now she's owning them as a part of her instead of suppressing them.

i have a lot of faith in jack antonoff for creating the perfect soundscape for this album. whether you liked nfr or not, his work with other artists is very versatile and he's also very talented. something like a more stripped back "fetch the bolt cutters" by fiona apple. definitely more keys (like in the intro to heroin!!!!!!), percussion, and guitar-only tracks (i'm looking at you flipside) than previous records. not really feeling surfy/tropical/los angeles vibes or influence for this one.

for the album cover i think it'll be like a more polished version of the mac single cover, i get really strong green vibes from the title??? idk why but maybe her in a pink dress in front of some trees??