Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

It’s like I know the days leading up to this album are gonna fly by like nothing, but I’m also an impatient little bitch and want something/anything at all to sustain my hype.

im manifesting an 8.4 from pitchfork but expecting a 7.7. 

21 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

It’s like I know the days leading up to this album are gonna fly by like nothing, but I’m also an impatient little bitch and want something/anything at all to sustain my hype.

I thought it was strange that they didn't review the title track.

31 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

I was so shocked to see NFR got Best New Music and a score over 9 (which is pretty rare!) so who knows what they'll give COCC! LMLYLAW and the title track weren't received with much enthusiasm (unlike the singles from NFR) but if the rest of the album is good (and if there are a few defining moments like Venice Bitch and the Greatest) I feel like it'll get a solid 8 (with no Best New Music award). But based off of the first two singles, I am predicting a 7.8.

Edit:

For reference, these are the past ratings:

BTD: 5.5

UV: 7.1

HM: 7.5

LFL: 7.7 (Love got Best New Track)

NFR: 9.4 and Best New Music (the Greatest and Venice Bitch both got Best New Track)

I feel like pitchfork *could* have been much harsher to lmlylaw. They said it was kinda basic and safe but that sometimes that’s all you need. So I think they were more for it than against it. The snub of the title track is odd, I have to assume it was because of all the drama she managed to stir up with the cover reveal. I imagine they will review the full album tho.

Are either of those tracks as bold as Venice Bitch or Hope is a Dangerous thing... ? No, so it makes sense those got bnm and at least lmly didn’t. im just hoping the rest of COCC is enough to give it good scores. 

im sure it’ll be good either way but we know critics and especially pitchfork are incredibly aware of what’s ~trendy~ and they really give good scores to that kind of stuff  

i feel like every lana album has a different mood to it so

btd: i’m really happy and playful and wanna sing along :heart:

uv: it’s a mix so somewhat of a chaotic or sad mood :lanahairflip3:

honeymoon: i am at complete and utter peace:suicide:

lfl: cannot pin point this one sorry :derpna3:

nfr: literally a hug when i’m anxious :spin:

i really am curious how chemtrails will make me feel when i listen to it. if i had to guess based on the songs we have and her descriptions i’d say it’s gonna be nostalgic? self-reflective hm....

12 days

tenor.gif

8 minutes ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

DARK BUT JUST A GAME?!?? MA'AM WHATS THAT EVEN MEAN!?! AHHH IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS ALBUM.

:squidward:

yes to Dark But Just A Game love :trisha: the witchy and mysterious track NFR missed

Capture.jpg

2 hours ago, domandapiano said:

I feel like pitchfork *could* have been much harsher to lmlylaw. They said it was kinda basic and safe but that sometimes that’s all you need. So I think they were more for it than against it. The snub of the title track is odd, I have to assume it was because of all the drama she managed to stir up with the cover reveal. I imagine they will review the full album tho.

Are either of those tracks as bold as Venice Bitch or Hope is a Dangerous thing... ? No, so it makes sense those got bnm and at least lmly didn’t. im just hoping the rest of COCC is enough to give it good scores. 

im sure it’ll be good either way but we know critics and especially pitchfork are incredibly aware of what’s ~trendy~ and they really give good scores to that kind of stuff  

Yeah. The album leans heavily on Mitchell, Baez, and King, which could help to sway them; they also love Natalie (Weyes Blood). They prefer originality but also call it a day if a derivative work is good enough.  I don't agree that they follow the latest trends in music but they do have editorial choices that are influenced by context (Apple's profile on The New Yorker by Pulitzer Winner Emily Nussbaum definitely helped her 10 to come to fruition). Normally they are just NY and NY Media related (Condé Nast) regarding buzz so the city has to welcome it in general. Criticism is technic and knowledge but also feeling and timing; also the review is personal to the writer but the grade is an editorial choice, probably a consensus to keep the Pitchfork brand as the most relevant and refined publication on music today.  Many times they changed the score of an album years later, tuning itself to the actual afterlife of work rather than the feelings on publication day (what will probably happen to born to die in a few years, considering how influential it was, that score is definitely going up). I expect in worst cases a 7.5 up, an 8.1 on a normal, no heat feelings, and an 8.8-9 on best cases. I've been wrong before but I'm usually good at this I think. 

7 minutes ago, RuflesCando said:

Yeah. The album leans heavily on Mitchell, Baez, and King, which could help to sway them; they also love Natalie (Weyes Blood). They prefer originality but also call it a day if a derivative work is good enough.  I don't agree that they follow the latest trends in music but they do have editorial choices that are influenced by context (Apple's profile on The New Yorker by Pulitzer Winner Emily Nussbaum definitely helped her 10 to come to fruition). Normally they are just NY and NY Media related (Condé Nast) regarding buzz so the city has to welcome it in general. Criticism is technic and knowledge but also feeling and timing; also the review is personal to the writer but the grade is an editorial choice, probably a consensus to keep the Pitchfork brand still relevant as the most relevant and refined publication on music today.  Many times they changed the score of an album years later, tuning itself to the actual afterlife of work rather than the feelings on publication day (what will probably happen to born to die in a few years, considering how influential it was, that score is definitely going up). I expect in worst cases a 7.5 up, an 8.1 on a normal, no heat feelings, and an 8.8-9 on best cases. I've been wrong before but I'm usually good at this I think. 

I think you’ve put more concisely what I was trying to get at (Im not great at conveying what I’m thinking and feeling through words). They aren’t trendy in the sense that they give good scores to what’s trendy in the popular sense, but they always want to appear like they are at the top of line as far as *taste* is concerned, and I think your paragraph expressed that. 

I'm actually gonna collapse when the album comes out... there'll be so much new material! For me personally, when NFR! came out, the only track that I hadn't heard at all in HQ was Bartender (edit: nevermind, we had those HQ snippets for weeks)! Now however, including live performances/known lyrics, the follow tracks still remain entirely unknown: wild at heart, dark but just a game, not all who wander are lost, and dance till we die! And besides those, we only know select lyrics in White Dress and Yosemite and a brief live rendition of Breaking Up Slowly!

Spoiler

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021  - Page 3085 - New Releases - LanaBoards - Lana Del Rey Forum

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF