Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Release Thread: OUT October 22nd, 2021

I don't think she'll be using pre-2013 material anymore. I think she outgrown with BTD songs, especially lyrics. She probaly don't relate to them anymore. Similiar with pre-Lana songs. That's why we didn't get AKA re-release.

I kinda wanna make a big thesis-like post on why Arcadia is so amazing, but more specifically, why the 2nd verse is a career highlight, and my favorite part of the song.

When we first heard the snippet months ago (first verse), I was under the impression Arcadia was going to be this sort of whimsical, playful song about falling in love, or body positivity (obviously, this being Lana, it would be less corny than those descriptions, but u know what I mean). When we first heard the song in full, I was perplexed by the second verse. On first listen, I felt like the song slightly veered off-course... It left a weird feeling, a strange taste in my mouth... Her vocals were slightly off-key, borderline slurred, a little unhinged emotionally. The video helped make it click: Oh wait! She's actually still fucking pissed about everything that's been said about her. But this colorful delivery, this flavor, in my opinion, is what makes Arcadia so fucking wonderful.

So, let's revisit: 

My body is a map of LA... my heart is like paaaaaper... I haaaate ya.
Lana starts to get pitchy on the second word of the second verse, and already sounds deflated as the verse starts. She describes her heart as paper -- thin, malleable, lightweight, and then just straight-up goes for the jugular, stating "I hate you". It's all THEIR fault! It's easy to miss this part in the song due to her delivery, but make no mistake, she's pissed.

I'm not from the land of the palms, so I know I can't stay... I'm not native.
Again, she goes from general to specific. She feels like an outsider, or an outcast, in a song dedicated to a random piece of a state she's gained so much inspiration from. She doesn't feel like she belongs, so she knows she can't stay. She feels transient, even in a place she's devoted so much of her time to. Tone-wise, she sounds regretful, almost ashamed or embarrassed, at least for a second...

But... my curves, San Gabriel all day... my lips, like the fire licks the Bay... 

Like she always does, Lana bounces back, even when she's upset. The swelling of the music here helps drive Lana's resolve. She claims ownership of HERSELF, and still compares her body parts to parts of California. Her delivery of "My lips" in particular is pure camp, whether she intended it to be or not. It's so deliciously dramatic, borderline Broadway-level, and almost overtakes the song itself, but you can really sense that she's feeling herself in that moment (as she should).

If you think that you know yourself, you can come over... Lay your hands on me like you're a Land Rover... in Arcadia.
I'm not sure what she means by the "If you think that you know yourself, you can come over" line. Either she's mocking herself for not knowing where she belongs in this world (despite equating her body parts to parts of CA) and wanting to spend time with a man more self-assured than she is, or she's wanting to know what parts of CA another man is made of. :hooker:  Either way, it's cute and flirtatious, and Lana looks camp square in the eye by finishing off the end of the verse slightly flat. 

A four-line PERFORMANCE of a verse, my friends. From deflation and resignation, to anger and embarrassment, to resilience and confidence, to flirtation and Broadway-infused camp. The drama of it all! Arcadia is that bitch!

E-ypc1lXIAYBx9Z.jpg

I cannot wait to hear 'Black Bathing Suit'. The song I'm most excited to hear, seemingly one of the few that's not out already too. :true:

6 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

I kinda wanna make a big thesis-like post on why Arcadia is so amazing, but more specifically, why the 2nd verse is a career highlight, and my favorite part of the song.

When we first heard the snippet months ago (first verse), I was under the impression Arcadia was going to be this sort of whimsical, playful song about falling in love, or body positivity (obviously, this being Lana, it would be less corny than those descriptions, but u know what I mean). When we first heard the song in full, I was perplexed by the second verse. On first listen, I felt like the song slightly veered off-course... It left a weird feeling, a strange taste in my mouth... Her vocals were slightly off-key, borderline slurred, a little unhinged emotionally. The video helped make it click: Oh wait! She's actually still fucking pissed about everything that's been said about her. But this colorful delivery, this flavor, in my opinion, is what makes Arcadia so fucking wonderful.

So, let's revisit: 

My body is a map of LA... my heart is like paaaaaper... I haaaate ya.
Lana starts to get pitchy on the second word of the second verse, and already sounds deflated as the verse starts. She describes her heart as paper -- thin, malleable, lightweight, and then just straight-up goes for the jugular, stating "I hate you". It's all THEIR fault! It's easy to miss this part in the song due to her delivery, but make no mistake, she's pissed.

I'm not from the land of the palms, so I know I can't stay... I'm not native.
Again, she goes from general to specific. She feels like an outsider, or an outcast, in a song dedicated to a random piece of a state she's gained so much inspiration from. She doesn't feel like she belongs, so she knows she can't stay. She feels transient, even in a place she's devoted so much of her time to. Tone-wise, she sounds regretful, almost ashamed or embarrassed, at least for a second...

But... my curves, San Gabriel all day... my lips, like the fire licks the Bay... 

Like she always does, Lana bounces back, even when she's upset. The swelling of the music here helps drive Lana's resolve. She claims ownership of HERSELF, and still compares her body parts to parts of California. Her delivery of "My lips" in particular is pure camp, whether she intended it to be or not. It's so deliciously dramatic, borderline Broadway-level, and almost overtakes the song itself, but you can really sense that she's feeling herself in that moment (as she should).

If you think that you know yourself, you can come over... Lay your hands on me like you're a Land Rover... in Arcadia.
I'm not sure what she means by the "If you think that you know yourself, you can come over" line. Either she's mocking herself for not knowing where she belongs in this world (despite equating her body parts to parts of CA) and wanting to spend time with a man more self-assured than she is, or she's wanting to know what parts of CA another man is made of. :hooker:  Either way, it's cute and flirtatious, and Lana looks camp square in the eye by finishing off the end of the verse slightly flat. 

A four-line PERFORMANCE of a verse, my friends. From deflation and resignation, to anger and embarrassment, to resilience and confidence, to flirtation and Broadway-infused camp. The drama of it all! Arcadia is that bitch!

E-ypc1lXIAYBx9Z.jpg

Wow…you said it so perfectly — this right here is exactly the genius of Arcadia. It’s quite a defining song for the record, it seems, and all of the subtleties of its lyricism and delivery work together to convey exactly what you identified as Lana’s feelings. :flutter:

(also, you always have the best posts, I see you and appreciate you <3)

i'm scared we're all setting ourselves up for black bathing suit. i suggest we try the hardest to have no expectations, so from now on please picture it as a piano flop and do not expect a trap banger

33 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

i'm scared we're all setting ourselves up for black bathing suit. i suggest we try the hardest to have no expectations, so from now on please picture it as a piano flop and do not expect a trap banger

i never set my expectations beyond the songs we get officially.

37 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

Downathemiamibeachslsclub

Blue banisters out oct 22

5 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Mel’s Drive-In has announced that they will be introducing a featured milkshake in honour of Blue Banisters, just the way they did with Chemtrails!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8dYgPkE/

A shame they didn’t do something blue or more special for this collab—but I’m sure a chocolate shake will sell more broadly outside of non-Lana fans anyways. Can’t believe they charge ~12USD for it tho…

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

6 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Mel’s Drive-In has announced that they will be introducing a featured milkshake in honour of Blue Banisters, just the way they did with Chemtrails!

One of the many downsides of not being a California-based LDR stan is never getting one of the Mel's shakes :trisha: They always look so good too 

imageproxy.jpg

I've been loving Lana's post-Honeymoon records, but in many ways, I have been craving that sublime sense of unity and cohesiveness that Honeymoon has. Chemtrails came close in this regard, but I do feel like it was missing that one track to tie it all together. It is looking like Blue Banisters will have that in store for me. :wowcry:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I'm very curious about Violets for Roses. Lana loves mentioning flowers in her songs, particularly roses. So I wonder if this is yet another extremely personal and intimate song for her. How will it sound like? It's the track before Dealer which has very angry lyrics and VFR could mark a shift in sonic direction or lyrical content.

She traded violets for roses...the simple life...she chose this. :trisha:

55 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

What the hell is a Mel's drive in? as a NJ resident idk wtf that is