YUNGATA

Video Games slowed down

So I came across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vukaFRUs6BQ

It's Video Games slowed down 7.21x. The vocals freaked me out at first but it's really growing on me. I love how ethereal and haunting it sounds. I kind of reminded me of that Justin Bieber song slowed down 800x.

What do you think?

Anyway, if you know of other Lana songs slowed down I'd love to listen.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Listening to this sort of thing makes you question some of the fundamental aspects of music like time, duration, rest, rhythm, pitch, timbre, etc.

What the hell is time? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Do you feel as if your brain is being stretched out like putty?

This feels like Phillip Glass in that unrelenting repetitive sense. It also makes me feel a bit of the sort of mind-fuckery that happens when you listen the music of the whacko Italian composer, Giacinto Scelsi, who developed a style of composition where pieces were based entirely around one single note. Somehow, even though there is no fundamental relationship between the two, there is a similar feeling going on in these things people upload to YouTube where they significantly slow down a song, except the sound texture here is more reminiscent of modern "ambient" music.

I love this shit.

I remember that Rebecca Black Friday song slowed down, like, 800% sounding remarkably like Angelo Badalamenti, and how weird that is that something could inadvertently turn out that way like that. Messing with the tempo but not with the pitch always messes with my mind. I guess Rebecca Black on her own messes with my mind. What sort of life is she going to have? Is she dead?

Speaking of changing the tempo without changing the pitch, for a good example of the inverse of that, i.e. changing the pitch but not the speed--in the analog domain no less!--the song She's Goin' Bald by The Beach Boys, who in 1967 used cutting edge (and very expensive) technology to achieve the effect of gradually speeding up the pitch without altering the tempo, which you can hear starting at 0:50. It is yet another example of the Beach Boys being at the forefront of new ideas in pop music without really being recognized for it :usrs:

Sounds like the sort of thing that nowadays people do with a single click in 2 seconds on their laptop in the bedroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1-Coa7qQQ

Please excuse my tangent.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein