Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

3 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Ok that user expressed their opinion in a  bad way- BUT I think a lot of bio/cis women feel excluded at times and get pushed out a lot and feel their spaces can get invaded- it’s not a black and white scenario and the answer isn’t to belittle trans women but you can’t just tell people to Jill themselves :facepalm:

maybe that was too much but this is still such an ignorant place to stand like what the fuck ??? :toofunny:

16 hours ago, vrtvie said:

Hate to say it but listening to her music feels more cringeworthy with each month recently. This is something that Lana has been able to escape, perhaps thanks to her experimentalism and neverending passion to music, even at her lowest or most desperate she never sounded "cheap", she's been able to finally gain international critics' respect. I don't know if it's because of my age but certainly the feeling that most of Marina's fandom consists of angsty teenagers does not help. I can't help but get the impression she's somewhat stuck in that immature music place and does not want to grow. I need her to release something actually mature and meaningful, not fucked with the food chain fucked with the farming too shit.

This is painfully true. Even when people bashed on COCC and BB, they were not cringey albums. I listen to them more than BTD to be honest. Lana's music never felt cheap surprisingly, and that is one of the many reasons why I enjoy her music. Even her pick-me era songs are just cute now that I listen to them after many years. But I simply cannot take Marina's music seriously since Ancient. Ancient had so much potential but ruined with lackluster lyrics and absolutely no insight to the world/community. I will never forget the first time I listented to PtP.. the lyrics... They sound like an elementary school poetry contest.. We know Marina's potentials with her first three albums, I wonder what is blocking her from all that honesty and creativity. Miss her a lot.

1 hour ago, finalgirl said:

maybe that was too much but this is still such an ignorant place to stand like what the fuck ??? :toofunny:

I apologise if it seems like I was excusing some of the very rampant anti trans rhetorics that happen lately on the internet- I was trying to explain why some people overreact not stating their behaviour was justified- just that in cases where women’s rights are being taken away and they are being referred by statements such as birthing persons to help gender neutrality/other hot topic issues can lead to ignorant statements such as this.

20 hours ago, creditcardromancer said:

I do like Love + Fear tbh, but Ancient Dreams was always cringe to me. 

I LOVE the sound, but the lyrics are embarrassing. We want introspective shit, not this dumb political crap. 

There’s a reason we liked Savages, and not this cringeworthy shit. I tried giving it another chance trying to have an open mind, but every single song made me cringe besides Happy Loner which i adore. 

I also know this is going to be a controversial opinion, but she made that Marinazine and hardly ANY women had content in it. It was basically all trans women including the cover. 

So you don’t wanna live in a “man’s world” but even in your own damn magazine basically all you feature are biological men? she’s a total hypocrite, which wouldn’t really even bother me if the music was at least good. 

Mod note: User was warned for this post. Transphobia is NOT tolerated on this site.

ban this person @That Venice Bitch

giphy.gif

Why does every pop music forum site have a problem with transphobia lately. this is supposed to be a thread about MARINA but some people just couldn't stop themselves from spewing transphobia.

ↀ  ⟡   last.fm

The food chain really did fuck some of you up, hun??? 

Anyway. Even if this thread looks like and endless vortex of discussing the same themes, I like to participate!

Love + Fear sessions had a really boppy and decent album buried in there. Not sure how we got what we got in the end (ok I know "2 main emotions! concept!" etc instead of "Ok so this is a collection on BANGERS! ENJOY xx") but don't matter what happened in the room, that album would always lack personality or just bring her worst tendencies.

Edit: by the way, do we have everything from L+F? I believe there's a snippet of "Ordinary World" (?) leaked but no full song, but that's it?? 

Now Ancient Dreams... there's a lot to unpack there. Especially because I hear the album as 2 different things being merged together; the "social commentary" part but also the songs that were personal and about her recent heartbreak. Purge the Poison & New America are bad (from lyrics to production) while the title track & Man's World are sort of... You can ignore the lyrics and bop along\vibe. Venus Fly Trap is pretty good and balanced out. But the more personal songs are mostly truly great gems, sorry: Flowers, Goodbye & I Love You but I Love Me More are songs she's selling the fuck out of them. Highly Emotional People is a career highlight from every point of view (lyrics, production, vocals). I will say I don't really care about Pandora's Box and can't remember how it goes at all BUT I do like the concept\metaphor... and the deluxe ones: Pink Convertibles is the same crap from the social commentary and I have no idea why people were craving it, Free Woman is useless and Happy Loner is cute but if we really decided to go with personal songs only... we'd be here saying WHERE THE BOPS AT???

Oh and unpopular opinion maybe (?) but Cuz I'm a Woman should have been part of the album. It fits perfectly between the themes, the song is catchy and it just works.

The whole cringe discourse is complicated when Marina herself has hinted that she cringes at stuff like... Obsessions. Which I personally see as one of the greatest songs ever created (no hyperbole). And at same time, while Electra Heart is one of the albums that I'll take for THE REST OF MY LIFE, stuff like "Teen Idle", which used to be something super deep and close to me, now sounds... silly. "Sixteen and burning up a bibble \ feeling super super super suicidal" is iconic but... cringe. 

Sometimes I think she just ran out of things she wanted (or........better: HAD) to say. When she gets it right, she gets it right and I know she's still talented as fuck and whenever she's ready, there will be more stellar albums to come.

C'mon Marina, announce something. 

It's strange that we didnt get acoustic versions of ADIAML songs 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

8 hours ago, DinahLee said:

The food chain really did fuck some of you up, hun??? 

Anyway. Even if this thread looks like and endless vortex of discussing the same themes, I like to participate!

Love + Fear sessions had a really boppy and decent album buried in there. Not sure how we got what we got in the end (ok I know "2 main emotions! concept!" etc instead of "Ok so this is a collection on BANGERS! ENJOY xx") but don't matter what happened in the room, that album would always lack personality or just bring her worst tendencies.

Edit: by the way, do we have everything from L+F? I believe there's a snippet of "Ordinary World" (?) leaked but no full song, but that's it?? 

Now Ancient Dreams... there's a lot to unpack there. Especially because I hear the album as 2 different things being merged together; the "social commentary" part but also the songs that were personal and about her recent heartbreak. Purge the Poison & New America are bad (from lyrics to production) while the title track & Man's World are sort of... You can ignore the lyrics and bop along\vibe. Venus Fly Trap is pretty good and balanced out. But the more personal songs are mostly truly great gems, sorry: Flowers, Goodbye & I Love You but I Love Me More are songs she's selling the fuck out of them. Highly Emotional People is a career highlight from every point of view (lyrics, production, vocals). I will say I don't really care about Pandora's Box and can't remember how it goes at all BUT I do like the concept\metaphor... and the deluxe ones: Pink Convertibles is the same crap from the social commentary and I have no idea why people were craving it, Free Woman is useless and Happy Loner is cute but if we really decided to go with personal songs only... we'd be here saying WHERE THE BOPS AT???

Oh and unpopular opinion maybe (?) but Cuz I'm a Woman should have been part of the album. It fits perfectly between the themes, the song is catchy and it just works.

The whole cringe discourse is complicated when Marina herself has hinted that she cringes at stuff like... Obsessions. Which I personally see as one of the greatest songs ever created (no hyperbole). And at same time, while Electra Heart is one of the albums that I'll take for THE REST OF MY LIFE, stuff like "Teen Idle", which used to be something super deep and close to me, now sounds... silly. "Sixteen and burning up a bibble \ feeling super super super suicidal" is iconic but... cringe. 

Sometimes I think she just ran out of things she wanted (or........better: HAD) to say. When she gets it right, she gets it right and I know she's still talented as fuck and whenever she's ready, there will be more stellar albums to come.

You can see the difference living in LA has done to her songwriting. The industry is so close knit it’s crucial she holds onto her roots or she can very easily become homogenized and uninspired. This is why so many artists tend to decline in quality after their first/second record

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif

20 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

I think maybe cause of the L+F 'drama' around the acoustics?

for those that don't know/weren't there: she announced an acoustic version of baby which tbh I think a lot of people wanted (including me) as it's very obvious the song was too fast for her (which she admitted it herself & was having nightmares about it lol) then it was released and it was literally just the song with some stems removed/changed. she got a bit uptight/self righteous on twitter that fans were disappointed and said something like 'acoustic just means blah blah', which considering all her previous acoustic versions were live (sounding) acoustics I really don't think it was unreasonable for fans to expect live acoustics.

then she was asked if she would do love + fear acoustics and she said yes, made everyone wait like 7 months to basically pull the same thing as the baby acoustic, orange trees is practically the same, superstar wasn't that much difference, no more suckers was pretty much reproduced iirc but it sound really clear to me they just took her vocal sessions from the album and changed the instrumental I really doubt she did any more vocal takes. people were just upset that they weren't live acoustics, especially after the serve of the froot acoustic sessions. (though all of her eras have really great acoustic versions) also the song choices were weird.

I think this is why we got 'man's world (stripped)' because if she called it 'man's world (acoustic)' it would be the same drama again

2 hours ago, AllForYou said:

I think maybe cause of the L+F 'drama' around the acoustics?

for those that don't know/weren't there: she announced an acoustic version of baby which tbh I think a lot of people wanted (including me) as it's very obvious the song was too fast for her (which she admitted it herself & was having nightmares about it lol) then it was released and it was literally just the song with some stems removed/changed. she got a bit uptight/self righteous on twitter that fans were disappointed and said something like 'acoustic just means blah blah', which considering all her previous acoustic versions were live (sounding) acoustics I really don't think it was unreasonable for fans to expect live acoustics.

then she was asked if she would do love + fear acoustics and she said yes, made everyone wait like 7 months to basically pull the same thing as the baby acoustic, orange trees is practically the same, superstar wasn't that much difference, no more suckers was pretty much reproduced iirc but it sound really clear to me they just took her vocal sessions from the album and changed the instrumental I really doubt she did any more vocal takes. people were just upset that they weren't live acoustics, especially after the serve of the froot acoustic sessions. (though all of her eras have really great acoustic versions) also the song choices were weird.

I think this is why we got 'man's world (stripped)' because if she called it 'man's world (acoustic)' it would be the same drama again

I agree, stripped is a better way to call it than acoustic. 

All you mentioned makes totally sense, she really let her Fandom down with those watered down fake acoustic versions. 

It's crazy to realize how lazy she got after Froot, all her past eras had great live acoustic versions. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

11 hours ago, DinahLee said:

It's such a gem. I believe it's her best piano track. Maybe my favorite Marina song. 

I miss that sound and I'm glad that we got Goodbye, it's the closest to Obsessions that we have gotten since years. 

Goodbye and High Emotional People are future classics ♥ 

18 hours ago, EXODUS said:

Only reason she made the acoustic EP for LF was to add some colour to the era and also make the songs (barely if at all) more her production wise imo

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?