Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

As much as I don't really "care" for the book thing, I found it quite... amusing? in a shocking way? the one she shared on her Instagram some time ago. I don't remember her ever being so open about her life, even with music. If she's really digging that deep, maybe Music will be very interesting as well.

I'd love for Marina to write a novel because her choice of topics has always been interesting but seldom her choice of words was on point.

BTW: The poppish sounds on Lies make this emotional song cringeworthy which is unfair. That's one of the reasons why I always liked Marina's acoustic versions.

original.gif

On 6/15/2024 at 10:52 PM, vrtvie said:

I'd love for Marina to write a novel because her choice of topics has always been interesting but seldom her choice of words was on point.

I agree with this so much, I wasn't interested in her poetry to begin with, but the more recent ones seem to be touching on interesting topics. I wish she would do marinabook again, I love reading her old blogs, (although some have really not dated well) I feel like this book is a way to do a bit of a memoir.

BTW: The poppish sounds on Lies make this emotional song cringeworthy which is unfair. That's one of the reasons why I always liked Marina's acoustic versions.

I have this delusional fantasy about her rerecording her old albums (especially with that snippet that sounded like solitaire??) and if she does I hope she gets rick nowels to do the dr luke songs. I am aware the likely hood of this is practically 0 though:flop: (also I'm not sure if her voice could do TFJ justice, she's said she can't sing like that anymore)

Love + Fear:

1.     End of The Earth 
  2.     Handmade Heaven 
  3.     Emotional Machine
  4.     Superstar 
  5.     Don’t Call Me
  6.     To Be Human 
  7.     Karma 
  8.     Absent Love 
  9.     Cruel Rule
  10.     Too Afraid
  11.     No More Suckers
  12.     Soft To Be Strong

deluxe: 

13.      Demons & Angels 

14.      True 

15.      Water Under The Bridge 

16.      The Art of Letting Go 

this album was soooo bad and underwhelming, specially after Froot… but with the right Tracklist and including some of the unreleased BOPs it could have been much much better! 

We are gonna pretend Orange Trees and Baby never happened :bebe:

If we're talking about Love + Fear...I'm the no.1 Love + Fear apologist in the world. I'm also no.1 Love + Fear stan in the world...although it's my second favorite Marina album. Froot is still forever my #1 out of her albums. But if Love + Fear has million fans, I'm one of them. If Love + Fear has 1 fan, that one is me. If Love + Fear has no fans, I'm no longer alive. If the world is against Love + Fear, I'm against the entire world. 🫡 Stream Love + Fear's best song End Of The Earth. Chills every time I listen to it, it's so cinematic :defeated:

url%5D

L+F has its flaws but the gems in there woow I love them:

HH, TBH, EYL, Too Afraid…

the outtakes are definitely interesting and some of them could’ve easily switch places with a lot of the official songs in there but after Froot our expectations were too high.

imagine serving 3 amazing magnum opus quality albums one after the other. That was the “problem” lol

16 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

Thinking abt how a few years ago she tweeted that she wanted to collab with female artists and a bunch of female artists incl halsey and lily allen replied saying they want to and not a single collab came out of it,,

it was a bit weird tbh. in the love+fear era she said she wanted to collab but 'no one wanted to work with me' then in regards to the female collab album she said that people were excited and commenting but it was difficult to organise (this was pre-pandemic and jack breakup).

because she put a lot of emphasis of using a female producer and jen only did 4/13 tracks, some people questioned it and she was like 'um I meant man's world was the a female led project' which feels like a lie because it felt very heavily implied that she was going to do a female lead album, not just one song. i wonder if something happened behind the scenes because she wrote quite a nice dedication to james in the credits but jen's felt a bit stale.

I know nobody cares and we’re all busy with SOPHIE but some guy on Reddit just showed up claiming he has a whole bunch of old Marina demos including Not That Ugly (which he posted a snippet of) and basically the demo version of TFJ… plus die Life? Apparently. Considering how irrelevant Marina is I honestly believe him tbh plus the snippet he posted of Not That Ugly sounds real, but also I have been out of the loop for years so IDK how “new” this is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarinaAndTheDiamonds/comments/1dn4ndi/new_leaks/

3 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

I know nobody cares and we’re all busy with SOPHIE but some guy on Reddit just showed up claiming he has a whole bunch of old Marina demos including Not That Ugly (which he posted a snippet of) and basically the demo version of TFJ… plus die Life? Apparently. Considering how irrelevant Marina is I honestly believe him tbh plus the snippet he posted of Not That Ugly sounds real, but also I have been out of the loop for years so IDK how “new” this is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarinaAndTheDiamonds/comments/1dn4ndi/new_leaks/

they posted a file from dbree and it sounds very ai'd

自由になる自由がある

On 6/22/2024 at 10:17 AM, AllForYou said:

it was a bit weird tbh. in the love+fear era she said she wanted to collab but 'no one wanted to work with me' then in regards to the female collab album she said that people were excited and commenting but it was difficult to organise (this was pre-pandemic and jack breakup).

because she put a lot of emphasis of using a female producer and jen only did 4/13 tracks, some people questioned it and she was like 'um I meant man's world was the a female led project' which feels like a lie because it felt very heavily implied that she was going to do a female lead album, not just one song. i wonder if something happened behind the scenes because she wrote quite a nice dedication to james in the credits but jen's felt a bit stale.

few days late but:

I truly believe plans are constantly changing and she did want to make a "female lead" project that didn't pan out and she coopted to the "Man's World" excuse, but I just don't blame her. It is an endless work of scheduling and business behind the scenes; if we get to see 10% of it, it's already too much. I think Marina always struggled with the "label politics" in different degrees; from the "I bankrupted label lol" joke from Electra Heart days to "I had to pay for all the visuals + mixing" on Froot and then the retroactive "lol remember label resistance about it?" when Bubblegum Bitch went viral, so I can imagine she just didn't bother. Personally, the fact she managed to squeeze and bring 4 songs with a Female Producer already shows more sincerity and goodwill than... most of the discourse that people bring.

-

As much as I dislike L+F, recently I've been trying to revisit it. It's just clear that she was aimless, but there were some great songs through all these sessions; many of them left on the cutting room for some awkward reason: "The Art Of Letting Go", "There's Nothing Wrong With You", "If It's Worth It", "Water Under The Bridge" and "Please Don't Call Me" are all better than True, Superstar and others. They're all part of BasicBop Category but at least they're somehow personal and doesn't sound AI generated before AI was a thing??

Coming from FROOT was always going to be difficult and she clearly was trying to just evoke "God just ONE MORE hit" with L+F, so it would have been better if she went full Popstar mode instead of the half-hearted concept about emotions. A "Crash Moment", if you will.