Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

I always get annoyed when someone complains about rock being dead and some smart ass telling that are still good underground bands/artists. Yeah we know, that goes for every genre, people are complaining about rock not having cultural significance anymore, not being anywhere in top 40, and frontliners on festivals being usually 20+ year old bands. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

2 minutes ago, shady said:

I always get annoyed when someone complains about rock being dead and some smart ass telling that are still good underground bands/artists. Yeah we know, that goes for every genre, people are complaining about rock not having cultural significance anymore, not being anywhere in top 40, and frontliners on festivals being usually 20+ year old bands. 

There hasn’t been a big evolution in awhile aside from the emo rap movement a few years ago and even that was more of an offshoot genre mix.

Somebody needs to push a innovative style+ mixed with aesthetic 

3 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

There hasn’t been a big evolution in awhile aside from the emo rap movement a few years ago and even that was more of an offshoot genre mix.

Somebody needs to push a innovative style+ mixed with aesthetic 

Exactly. Also the majority of active bands release some dark music in a warehouse with leather jackets and it's so obvious that it's safe music for fans only. Totally uncreative and underwhelming. I miss party songs and rockstars. Maneskin is the only band that resembles rock and rockstars in its prime although I'm not their biggest fan. 

Pure pop does exist-its a genre in itself-I’m sick of hearing the same tired rhetoric that pop means “popular”, no it doesn’t necessarily. 

The Beatles have always been included in pop because they make pop rock mostly.  Rock has always been called rock.

I just heard someone try to argue teenage dream is electro rock :lmao: I don’t like Katy but she is clearly pure pop.

Baby one more time is pure pop.

Thriller is pure pop.

S&m is pure pop.

Call me maybe is pure pop- a guitar does not mean “rock”.

5 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Pure pop does exist-its a genre in itself-I’m sick of hearing the same tired rhetoric that pop means “popular”, no it doesn’t necessarily. 

The Beatles have always been included in pop because they make pop rock mostly.  Rock has always been called rock.

I just heard someone try to argue teenage dream is electro rock :lmao: I don’t like Katy but she is clearly pure pop.

Thriller is pure pop.

S&m is pure pop.

all of those songs you listed don’t have guitar in them :hillary: 

i do agree with your overall point though 

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

12 minutes ago, paris texas said:

all of those songs you listed don’t have guitar in them :hillary: 

i do agree with your overall point though 

Call me maybe does actually-its good full natural instruments if you listen closely, it’s just really well done cleanly 

56 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Thriller is pure pop.

S&m is pure pop.

Yeah, metal was once mainstream, so does it make it pop? No. I would say that anything popular and catchy with a pop formula is, in fact, pop, regardless if it's performed by a band or electronic. Moves Like Jagger and Animals is performed by a band of rockers but the songs are pure pop. I hate how pop music became shittier cause it has become shallow to be a pop star. Ava Max, Dua Lipa and a handful of others are pure pop right now and aren't pretending to be anything else. Ava is a flea market knock off of Lady Gaga in 2008-2009 but that's another story. 

Also we as a society don't need that many yassifed female rappers that essentially sound all the same.

We need to leave pop punk in the 2000s. It was fun, but it's time to evolve, not recycle. (Looking at you, Avril)

9 minutes ago, shady said:

Yeah, metal was once mainstream, so does it make it pop? No. I would say that anything popular and catchy with a pop formula is, in fact, pop, regardless if it's performed by a band or electronic. Moves Like Jagger and Animals is performed by a band of rockers but the songs are pure pop. I hate how pop music became shittier cause it has become shallow to be a pop star. Ava Max, Dua Lipa and a handful of others are pure pop right now and aren't pretending to be anything else. Ava is a flea market knock off of Lady Gaga in 2008-2009 but that's another story. 

Also we as a society don't need that many yassifed female rappers that essentially sound all the same.

We need to leave pop punk in the 2000s. It was fun, but it's time to evolve, not recycle. (Looking at you, Avril)

maroon 5 is definitely a pop group, if not always, they most certainly are now

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

20 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Thriller is pure pop.

S&m is pure pop.

The good thing about "pop" just meaning popular is that "classical" can just mean it's been around for 100+ (or whatever number) of years and people still listen to it. I.E. they're both vague terms that can be objectively defined (and real easily), although classical has some rather specific criteria, if you ask people what they mean by that. So Pete Pardo (Sea of Tranquility; youtube) just had a 1973 retrospective, where he picked his 31 favorite albums from that year (one for each day of January), and argued it was a phenomenal year musically. Maybe some albums he cited will still be played another 50 years out.

23 minutes ago, slang said:

The good thing about "pop" just meaning popular is that "classical" can just mean it's been around for 100+ (or whatever number) of years and people still listen to it. I.E. they're both vague terms that can be objectively defined (and real easily), although classical has some rather specific criteria, if you ask people what they mean by that. So Pete Pardo (Sea of Tranquility; youtube) just had a 1973 retrospective, where he picked his 31 favorite albums from that year (one for each day of January), and argued it was a phenomenal year musically. Maybe some albums he cited will still be played another 50 years out.

Yeah but that’s pop as in popular, an entirely different thing- it’s just interesting when people slate pop specifically in relation to people who make pop music but disregard it as a genre anyway? It’s odd. 

when people say classical-they usually mean orchestra or violin pieces with minimal to no vocals.

2 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Yeah but that’s pop as in popular, an entirely different thing- it’s just interesting when people slate pop specifically in relation to people who make pop music but disregard it as a genre anyway? It’s odd. 

when people say classical-they usually mean orchestra or violin pieces with minimal to no vocals.

It just seems like a really hard problem defining pop. Jazz called itself jazz (and was popular once, and there were a bunch of sub eras in Jazz), and Rock called itself rock (and was popular once and ditto), and Folk called itself folk (ditto., but with maybe fewer sub eras). All of these genres of music still exist, as does (what I think you mean by) pop. Or does pop seem different now than in the past? I mean one could attempt a definition of pop, that includes Britney Spears, but why not include the Andrew Sisters, or Frank Sinatra? My unpopular musical opinion is that there may be the same kind of problem with "pop" as there is with "classical" in time (there was a "joke" in the last of the Abrams-series Star Trek movies about it, and perhaps more credibly, Bob Dylan, whose done a lot of "covers" albums lately of standard pre-rock-era songs, remarked that he was "uncovering the songs" but also remarked that he didn't need to, because he considered them classics in the same sense as Brahms/Mozart; let's just assume I'm remembering the article right, as I probably can't find it). 

So fucking over artists clearing out their social media platforms whenever they're about to announce a new album or something. It's corny and unnecessary. Stop.

The new Flower song by Miley is one of the most boring, most tepid commercial song I have heard in years. The fact that this song is breaking charts and streaming records is insane.

Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah will never be what Cohen's is, ppl need to stop acting like it is.

he's gotta pretty boy voice but Cohen's adds the much needed roughness & soul to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

i like John Lennon 

&his song Imagine too. some celebrities repurposed it & made it cringe during COVID but on it's own, it's cute....if u don't like beautiful piano melodies & a call for unity of the human race then ok fuck u too

Phil Spector spilled with Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On's production

still hate the prick tho 

Bob Dylan may not have a traditionally great voice, but he is a fantastic singer. fight me

Banisters & Chem are her two strongest albums to date 

Morphine is a better 90s band than Nirvana 

:really:

9 hours ago, West Coast said:

The new Flower song by Miley is one of the most boring, most tepid commercial song I have heard in years. The fact that this song is breaking charts and streaming records is insane.

someone finally said it, i 100% agree :noparty:

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif

On 2/2/2023 at 4:39 AM, West Coast said:

So fucking over artists clearing out their social media platforms whenever they're about to announce a new album or something. It's corny and unnecessary. Stop.

reminds me of this tweet honestly:

bands are always like “big things brewing👀” and it’s always just songs or something. that’s not big things, that’s what you did last time.