Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

anyone who cares that much about fantano’s opinion is very clearly not lana’s target demographic anyway, he‘s irrelevant :lolliney: i thought the only people who watched him were musty incels. i’m never forgiving his bald ass for giving Ultraviolence a 1/10

7 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

anyone who cares that much about fantano’s opinion is very clearly not lana’s target demographic anyway, he‘s irrelevant :lolliney: i thought the only people who watched him were musty incels. i’m never forgiving his bald ass for giving Ultraviolence a 1/10

It was a 2/10 wasn’t it? :trisha:

but tbh he’s grown on me in recent years as he’s become more receptive to pop music and shed the snobby pretentious BS.  he’s sort of funny sometimes, but ya I don’t know why some people hang on his every word. He’s just a random guy uploading music reviews :rip: 

Fantano tends to focus on Lanas appearance and personality when reviewing her music as if that has anything to do with it (which it doesn’t), so I really don’t care what he thinks :true:

In terms of what I think the critical reception of this album as a whole is going to be, I really do think it’s going to be a mixed bag. This album is seemingly so diverse in terms of its sound that I wouldn’t be surprised if some critics don’t love it just because it’s not what they expect from her. But with Lana, I think it’s always best to expect the unexpected 

imageproxy.jpg

31 minutes ago, Jared said:

A&W might be the best song of all time, but I still feel the album is still going to be Lust For Life 2.0, just more interesting and tasteful. I'm more interested in what comes after tbh. 

Your thoughts might align with this user’s take. I think it’s plausible :true:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

2 hours ago, emliqua said:

With like no promotion or music video :illumilana2:

Just imagine how much better it would do if Lana’s team did their jobs. A&W is a thriving, independent queen which we applaud. 

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

i’ll gladly take music videos this era but also i’m sooo content not getting any either. it’s actually nice just imagining your own visuals for the song that represent what it means to you. an era’s photoshoots and stuff set the mood like, this is the world that we’re in, but without music videos, you as a listener actually have that whole world to run around in and make your own, i think it’s cool.

i actually kinda hate when artists release music videos long after the song because by that point i already have my own strong imaginative visual landscape of what the music is, and if something completely different from what i was picturing comes out it can kinda change my perception. and not necessarily always in a good way

31 minutes ago, Jared said:

A&W might be the best song of all time, but I still feel the album is still going to be Lust For Life 2.0, just more interesting and tasteful. I'm more interested in what comes after tbh. 

I feel the opposite. Listening over and over to A&W, I've come to the conclusion that Lana has for the greater part of her released material been writing just about herself. I don't mean that the songs are true stories of her life, I mean that she has emotionally only been expressing her own feelings, and not thinking about whether the listener can relate. (On that, she's on the right track, because many listeners are so shallow, I've heard reactors/reviewers say things like "I can't relate to this song because I've never been to LA." If that was what I was dealing with as an artist, I'd ignore everyone else as well.)

I think with Lust For Life, she tried to universalise and make her songs about the general condition - that's what she actually meant when she talked about doing 'one for the fans'. Even then, a big part of the record was entirely about her, but fans thought she mean that she was going to go back to doing non stop bops, and were disappointed with the record. Since then, she's become more and more insular in her writing (NFR, Violet, Chemtrails, BB), and is not trying to write about the general human condition, except where it coincides with her own life. The two singles from this album show no sign at all of diverging from this.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

20 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

In terms of what I think the critical reception of this album as a whole is going to be, I really do think it’s going to be a mixed bag. This album is seemingly so diverse in terms of its sound that I wouldn’t be surprised if some critics don’t love it just because it’s not what they expect from her. But with Lana, I think it’s always best to expect the unexpected 

I think the very positive reaction to A&W from the limited circle of critics is a good sign. I feel that the song will be a perfect representation of the album - dark, melodic, some piano,  somewhat instrumental, some trap beats, very different vocal styles, wordy and storytelling-style. If they liked so much diversity in 7 minutes I’m sure they’ll love the album. 

I don't think this album will be anything like Lust for Life.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

53 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

Fantano tends to focus on Lanas appearance and personality when reviewing her music as if that has anything to do with it (which it doesn’t), so I really don’t care what he thinks 

I mean, her personality has everything to do with her music... you can't separate the two. Also, when you say he tends to focus on her appearance, can you give me an example? I don't recall him ever doing it let alone tending to do it.

Legitimate music critics only girls! I'm sure she's coming for her best MC score yet, and many "Best of" lists. Lana is a critics darling! Even the negative reviews will have glimmers of positivity and acclaim for her talent and artistry. As far as promotion, get ready to print out flyers for the album to put up around your cities, and don't forget to stitch DYK audio to your trendy TikToks! And the tried and true method, upload "sexy" appearing content, where a DYK song will interrupt mid video. Also, leave the album streaming on Spotify, on your computers, while you're away at work/school/running errands! 

2 hours ago, cherrytropico said:

it comes from it being sampled by this song:

there’s a drop at 1:28 and kintsugi said the song is similar to cinnamon girl/tulsa jesus freak 

the softer part after the beat drop has the exact chord progression as “freak,” i wonder if it’ll sound similar to that???

5 hours ago, summer bummer said:

just released that iTunes have a pre-order chart 😭😭 lana’s low down on it but i don’t think it means anything 

question: do people actually buy songs through iTunes anymore

definitely not as often as they used to. with music streaming service subscriptions it tends to be easier to pay a monthly fee than $1.29 per song you want to buy. 

1 hour ago, Jared said:

What in the..

math-is-hard-addition.gif

6 hours ago, mssainttropez said:

Lana’s feminism manifests itself in atypical ways. In her work you have to read between the lines. I’m what you would consider a “typical feminist” but Lana definitely is. A feminist is literally just a person who supports women getting the same rights as men. Speaking up about domestic abuse (Ultraviolence) is a bold choice and many could argue it’s romanticized but I doubt that was Lana’s intention. She makes music for her and gives no fucks about how others perceive it. A woman not seeking validation from the media and doing whatever she wants is feminism if you ask me. It’s just not “typical” feminism. 

yep, i agree. she’s definitely not as “blunt” about her beliefs as a lot with women are, but you can tell with her lyrics and everything that she is definitely a feminist. i’m sick of the “romanticizing abuse” thing too, i don’t get it- why can’t she just write about her pain and experiences without being called a whore? makes me wonder about the line from “A&W,” referencing rape and how people believed she’d have asked for it if she was raped. maybe that’s a comment on all of the people saying she romanticizes and asks for sexual abuse.