Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

I think the backstory of BB is even messier than what you described, TBH. Not that it’s a bad album at all but it’s true that it’s not super cohesive. 
lustforlife mentioned that this album happened by accident : she was working on her cover album and she got inspired to record new songs… which turned into many new songs, thus tossing aside the covers. At that point, she seems to have wanted to « tell her story » through these new tunes and unreleased from passed eras (the RCS post she did on CoCC’s release day or the next). BoZ also stated that the track list changed a lot during its creation and the more she recorded, the more unreleased songs got pushed aside, leaving only some on BB. The other factor we cant rule out but that I don’t know where to put in BB’s timeline is Barrie asking her to put Riverside on his album and she asked permission for four songs they did together to be put on BB and the cover album… 

Anyways, I’m glad OB got a bigger sound and I sure hope LDR10 will follow that, with some experimentation / alternative sounds

For me, BB the album seems permanently underrated. While I don't like the title track at all, I love 'Arcadia,' 'BBS,' 'VFR,' 'IYLDWM,' 'TB,' and 'WFWF,' and like 'Sweet Carolina,' 'Dealer,' and 'Beautiful' well enough.

The other four leaked tracks I have liked for years, all of them, though I prefer the '50s'-style version of 'Thunder.'

So that leaves 'The Trio,' which I never play, because I've known the original version for many years and I don't think it does anything for the album. 

Instead of basing my like or dislike on album history, facts, knowledge, opinion, or abstraction, I just like the sound of the songs I've said I like above, their message, and, in some cases, their simplicity ('Arcadia, 'VFR), especially because it seems all her albums have tortured or somewhat tortured histories. Maybe we know too much and that gets in the way of our appreciation. 

I know I'm way in the minority, but I vastly prefer BB the album to OC the album. 

36 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

For me, BB the album seems permanently underrated. While I don't like the title track at all, I love 'Arcadia,' 'BBS,' 'VFR,' 'IYLDWM,' 'TB,' and 'WFWF,' and like 'Sweet Carolina,' 'Dealer,' and 'Beautiful' well enough.

The other four leaked tracks I have liked for years, all of them, though I prefer the '50s'-style version of 'Thunder.'

So that leaves 'The Trio,' which I never play, because I've known the original version for many years and I don't think it does anything for the album. 

Instead of basing my like or dislike on album history, facts, knowledge, opinion, or abstraction, I just like the sound of the songs I've said I like above, their message, and, in some cases, their simplicity ('Arcadia, 'VFR), especially because it seems all her albums have tortured or somewhat tortured histories. Maybe we know too much and that gets in the way of our appreciation. 

I know I'm way in the minority, but I vastly prefer BB the album to OC the album. 

I really like BB (song and album), especially in the fall or at the end of summer, when I am having a peaceful mindset or when I cook. It’s not a perfect album (there is, iMO, one song too many relying solely on piano) but many songs on it are simply gorgeous. 

5 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

I really like BB (song and album), especially in the fall or at the end of summer, when I am having a peaceful mindset or when I cook. It’s not a perfect album (there is, iMO, one song too many relying solely on piano) but many songs on it are simply gorgeous. 

I'm glad you appreciate it and enjoy even the title track; it's the 'Nikki Lane' namedropping part that I don't care for. Like 'Happiness Is a Butterfly,' I was disappointed when I heard the entire song. I also find it very peaceful in many parts. It may not be 'cohesive,' but I find it a lot more cohesive than OC--if that matters at all. 

15 hours ago, tienmej said:

I feel crazy for saying this, but to me ocean blvd feels in some ways like she is circling back to her pre 2011 era of acoustic sound...

Also, I dont mean this in a bad way, but objectively Blue Bannisters is not a real album... LISTEN... There is pretty much zero conceptual reason for her to dump 7 or so of her unreleased tracks in the context of that album. What I think happened is that Lana for some reason felt the need to drop a new album right after COCC, and at that point in time she had a clear direction in mind, which was to cover her own family relations and to diss some of her family members... - thus she ended up with 4 new songs (Textbook, Wildflower Wildfire, Blue Bannisters, Sweet Carolina) that cover those exact themes and which are the only "true" BB songs, because they were clearly meant for the album in the context of the announced themes. From that point, I speculate that for some reason she either did not have enough material that covers these topics to arrange it into a full LP, or she decided not to continue in that direction for personal reasons. The issue with the latter is that ultimately she did continue writing in this direction for Ocean Blvd, so I honestly think she probably just wasnt sure back during the BB era of writing or just needed more time. Anyway, to make up for this lack of material and time, she decided to drop some random unreleased songs just because she liked them and because she probably was still liking the idea of releasing an album comprised of unreleased songs, which she mentioned back in 2017. Because even the relatively recent songs like Black Bathing Suit and Beautiful (?) were outtakes. And now, in the Ocean Blvd era, the rest of her Blue Bannisters era/style writing was finally completed and thus she dropped Fingertips, which definitely sounds like a BB outtake and other songs about her family. Maybe she had a writing block on the topic of her family, which resolved after she started writing her memoirs or smth. Pure speculation. 

ANYWAY, the point is that I do not think it is fair to call BB an album, when it is essentially a mixtape. And because 70 percent of BB is random outtakes from 3+ eras, most of which were left musically unchanged, I do not think we should use BB era as any sort of reference for her future musical direction or as part of her evolution, because it isn't. It is actually what sets Ocean Blvd apart, which is that unlike Blue Bannisters, some of her songs from Ocean Blvd, which are thematically identical to the themes of the core BB songs, were actually adapted to suit the record and not just dropped as is.

i think everything you said here is completely wrong. just bc lana used older songs doesn't mean she dropped her original concept bc they actually do fit into the concept quite well. no, they weren't written for this record but they didn't fit the records she was making when she made those songs so she put them aside til they did fit a concept. some were leaked but thats irrelevant since they were never officially released til then. its just like how yosemite was written for lust for life but fits chemtrails' concept better or how california and the next best american record fit norman's concept perfectly. and songs like black bathing suit and beautiful weren't outtakes so idk what that's about and they do fit blue banisters' concept if you keep in mind that the concept isn't just about her family, but about her whole life and what's important to her which includes her struggles with the media, not just her family. the album isn't sonically cohesive and can feel a bit messy but it definitely has a clear concept and still feels like a proper album. like when i play the album for non-fans who don't know a the history of the leaked songs and whatnot they don't see the album as a mess or lacking a concept. unpopular opinion but even tho i like ocean blvd more than blue banisters, i'd say blue banisters has a clearer concept and overall theme than ocean blvd.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

13 minutes ago, Embach said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvkKz_DqJiw/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Lana world domination, the fact that she's 2nd most streamed female artist in the world for third month in a row is a big big big big huge achievement!

More than any other factor, I think it's because her songs have depth. Lyrical and emotional.

The same reason people flocked to Tori Amos in the 1990s and 2000s, and, in the distant past, Joni Mitchell. 

4 minutes ago, WaitForLife said:

What Songs are outtakes on BB and for what Albums and what not?

Dealer & Thunder (reworked) - from The Last Shadow Puppets collaboration album.

If You Lie Down Next To Me (reworked), Living Legend, Cherry Blossom, Nectar Of The Gods - early outtakes of Ultraviolence album/Tropico.

19 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

More than any other factor, I think it's because her songs have depth. Lyrical and emotional.

The same reason people flocked to Tori Amos in the 1990s and 2000s, and, in the distant past, Joni Mitchell. 

Well yeah, but her songs are very viral too so the viral songs have boosted her streams

url%5D

20 minutes ago, Embach said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvkKz_DqJiw/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Lana world domination, the fact that she's 2nd most streamed female artist in the world for third month in a row is a big big big big huge achievement!

Unbelievable.

In France, she's not on the radio anymore (or barely), she's nowhere to be seen (no TV, no billboards, no info), hardly in some magazines like les inrockuptibles, but her streaming numbers are huge, she's one of the best vinyl sellers, and there were 400 000 people who wanted to see her at L'Olympia.

48 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

You're so right

Just listening to Happiness is a butterfly and having a moment of being extremely grateful that Lana exists and shares her work with us. I thought about how different my life would be without her in it, and it’s insane to imagine. She’s been a constant influence and soundtrack in my life for over 11 years which is a bit under half my life at this point. There’s no other artist’s music that hits me in the way that hers does.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

The "summertime sadness is about her friend commiting suicide" thing is a myth right? She has never talked about it and fans commenting about it without giving any source is giving me wattpad fanfic

url%5D

23 minutes ago, Embach said:

The "summertime sadness is about her friend commiting suicide" thing is a myth right? She has never talked about it and fans commenting about it without giving any source is giving me wattpad fanfic

According to Jaime King, this story is true IMG-1514.jpg

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

39 minutes ago, That Venice Bitch said:

According to Jaime King, this story is true IMG-1514.jpg

Oh wow interesting and sad, I finally saw the fucking source after many many years :oprah2:

url%5D

1 hour ago, Embach said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvmqMo3OBnt/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I remember when she posted these, I was screaming my lungs out. What was it even for?

They were probably just in a silly goofy mood 🤪 in the studio or something :hide:

I think it was also kinda her introduction to the record and Jack to us (similar to the UV pictures with Dan Auerbach). Maybe allusion to the "I'm your man" lyric from MAC too :um2:

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, The Siren said:

found this on dbree what does this mean

GWnJeSk.png

extra reverb and drums hell yeah :beyonce:

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ