Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, Max said:

Everyday someone comes on LanaBoards and wax poetic about music genres and it makes absolutely no sense in any way whatsoever :usrsney:

HM is a Portishead-level trip hop record, UV was a jazz-rock-fusion album and Venice Bitch is the raw psychodelic essence of the hippie movement :troll:

I don't know why some people on here are so scared of the fact she still mostly does alt-pop and have to put fancy genre labels on things where they obviously do not fit ?

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

1 minute ago, Thunder Corpse said:

HM is a Portishead-level trip hop record, UV was a jazz-rock-fusion album and Venice Bitch is the raw psychodelic essence of the hippie movement :troll:

I don't know why some people on here are so scared of the fact she still mostly does alt-pop and have to put fancy genre labels on things where they obviously do not fit ?

The way UV was lowkey that though :hdu:

I’m losing interest in Lana sadly. I’ll always listen to the work she puts out but I just feel such a disconnect lately, idk why. I hope the new album surprises me but if not I’ll probably revert to casual listener status.

Up till NFR I felt like I could relate to her music but as it becomes more mature and stripped back I think I’m just losing interest. It could be because I’m still relatively young but I just miss the fire she brought to her albums. NFR was obviously more folky but the fire was still there in songs like Mariners, Venice and The Greatest. I like Chemtrails but it aged really poorly for me and I only go back to White Dress. Idk.

As cheesy as it sounds and idc if it makes me a “local” I loved and appreciated the little things (teasers, effort put into artwork, effort put into shows and visuals). I get what she’s going for with this nonchalant approach but for me what drew me to Lana was her attention to detail in regard to those aspects. And I definitely miss the more theatrical, dramatic elements to the songs. I guess I’m just not as into this more mature sound.

1 hour ago, Thunder Corpse said:

Well tbf I’d say these descriptions match more than alt pop-wtf does that even mean, the only record that actually can be put in this category is BtD, paradise and lust for life 

Alt pop is just lazy terminology mostly tbf 

1 minute ago, evalionisameme said:

Well tbf I’d say these descriptions match more than alt pop-wtf does that even mean, the only record that actually can be put in this category is BtD, paradise and lust for life 

Alt pop is just lazy terminology mostly tbf 

Sorry but just because that is a very broad and undefined category, that does not justify slapping genres on albums which obviously don't fit. There is no shame in using descriptions like saying MTWBT has a jazz-y vocal melody or Shades Of Cool has a psychedelic bridge. But  most of the time the members obviously have no idea of what they are talking about and just pump out genres and comparances, because they for some reason believe that this makes the music more exciting or artistic or whatever.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

7 hours ago, GrenadineGrass said:

Still wanna know what was that for??

ImageImage

for majestic and expensive album photoshoot by neil krug of course :clapback:

Spoiler

of course she will just choose a random behind the scenes photo where valerie steals the show for the cover but a girl can dream right

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

2 hours ago, anwdelrey said:

I’m losing interest in Lana sadly. I’ll always listen to the work she puts out but I just feel such a disconnect lately, idk why. I hope the new album surprises me but if not I’ll probably revert to casual listener status.

Up till NFR I felt like I could relate to her music but as it becomes more mature and stripped back I think I’m just losing interest. It could be because I’m still relatively young but I just miss the fire she brought to her albums. NFR was obviously more folky but the fire was still there in songs like Mariners, Venice and The Greatest. I like Chemtrails but it aged really poorly for me and I only go back to White Dress. Idk.

As cheesy as it sounds and idc if it makes me a “local” I loved and appreciated the little things (teasers, effort put into artwork, effort put into shows and visuals). I get what she’s going for with this nonchalant approach but for me what drew me to Lana was her attention to detail in regard to those aspects. And I definitely miss the more theatrical, dramatic elements to the songs. I guess I’m just not as into this more mature sound.

I kinda agree with you, but I just- chemtrails "aged really poorly" ????????

it's been out for like a month :rip: 

14417469274.gif

3 hours ago, anwdelrey said:

I will never stop saying this but:

Not liking an album ≠ “it aged poorly”

Like that’s literally not what the word aging means

Aging refers to how the production/instrumentals/lyrics sound to a modern audience compared to a previous time which wasn’t as technically advanced/socially aware

Example: Dumbo aged poorly cause it contains a lot of racist stereotypes

Another example: 1940s live shows aged poorly cause the sound technology wasn’t advanced and compared to now they sound bad

Counter example: COCC did not age poorly just because you don’t love it

3 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

Aging refers to how the production/instrumentals/lyrics sound to a modern audience compared to a previous time which wasn’t as technically advanced/socially aware

Another example: 1940s live shows aged poorly cause the sound technology wasn’t advanced and compared to now they sound bad

I usually say ‘It got stale or boring fast’ I don’t think COCC is bad but with most albums there is a washout period where a break is required before you can enjoy the music again. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

7 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

I literally said it aged poorly for me... 

1 hour ago, anwdelrey said:

I literally said it aged poorly for me... 

I don’t have an issue with what you said or you not liking COCC (I don’t particularly love it either) just with how you said it... saying an album “ages” makes no sense especially cause you just meant to say you got bored of it/don’t listen to it as much as you did when it came out

5 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I usually say ‘It got stale or boring fast’ I don’t think COCC is bad but with most albums there is a washout period where a break is required before you can enjoy the music again. 

I mean IDK everybody’s experience is different and it’s fine I just don’t like how people express their distaste cause saying a piece of music aged is kind of insulting at least IMO 

11 hours ago, lover said:

for majestic and expensive album photoshoot by neil krug of course :clapback:

Hide contents

of course she will just choose a random behind the scenes photo where valerie steals the show for the cover but a girl can dream right

i wonder if this was for cruella soundtrack 

Spoiler

yes im manifesting that she is the alternative artist who might have a song for the movie

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

15 hours ago, GrenadineGrass said:

i saw her on lolla when she was touring this tour, and i watched alot of videos of la to the moon in different cities, when you look in, Spain, Belgium her voice was amazing

15 hours ago, COCC said:

I saw her in Madrid on her last concert for the la to the moon tour. She sang perfectly and her voice was so confident and strong.

Idk maybe the mixing was off at my show, don't get me wrong i would still 1000% go see her live again.

51 minutes ago, Peace said:

Idk maybe the mixing was off at my show, don't get me wrong i would still 1000% go see her live again.

No worries! I think that every artist deal with some voice inconsistencies, just a lil cold can ruin everything so something might happened.

Her voice has always had some issues technical wise and I’m sure the smoking hasn’t helped, breathiness is something throughout the range but now you cannot understand the lyrics at times? Maybe this is because of her not using reverb anymore but she also doesn’t use the dark thick tone for low notes its almost like constant falsetto.

I won’t be too harsh though because her head voice is still gorgeous and operatic.

34 minutes ago, GrenadineGrass said:

No worries! I think that every artist deal with some voice inconsistencies, just a lil cold can ruin everything so something might happened.

yeah i’m very understanding about my show because i think it was the second show after the knife man in florida so i wouldn’t be surprised if she was nervous

1 minute ago, Peace said:

yeah i’m very understanding about my show because i think it was the second show after the knife man in florida so i wouldn’t be surprised if she was nervous

wow that was a moment, i remember her crying on stage :crying2:

I was trying to fool myself thinking that Lana music would get better after L4L, but I don't see this happening. At least not for my taste. 

And honestly, I don't think that it's because of the sound (Jack is not so bad after all), but because of her stillness. I don't know how to translate it into words, but I'll try.

Lana always contradicted herself and it showed in her art. It's not a coincidence that many people think that she glamorize abuse. Her old music always had a duality in feelings, thoughts, and intention. This confused a lot of people about her real message. I always loved the way that she told her stories. Ultraviolence (song+mv) for me it's her most artistic piece of work. She used to use the same technique as many writers, movie directors, and painters of putting something pure/holy/good with the evil/unsacrated/wrong.

Now her duality is coming from her just watching (the political tracks on L4L), not knowing where to stand (without manifest any conflict of ideas on the songs. We just know that she's confused or unhappy with something, but she doesn't tell us why) and in actions. She says something and do the complete opposite. Like if you hear HBTB, 13 Beaches and the majority of COCC, you would think that she's tired of fame. But we know that she's always working and thinking about new projects, attracting unwanted attention (QFTC, the response for QFTC, "I Want Revenge", her feud with Ann Powers, she's always online...). 

There's nothing wrong with being confused or being tired of fame. But it wouldn't be nice hear her singing about what keeps her going? Talking about what's really upsetting her politically? And even talking about life...

She's interested in a lot of cool things, but they rarely make it into her latest records. I will always love her, but her music it's not bringing anything worth it for me lately.

I would sell my soul for her to write a track like that (she have a degree in philosophy, it's interest in witchcraft, life, meaning behind things. It's not a crazy thing to think about it):

Spoiler

Since the beginning of time
Man has search for the great answer
It was given
Today I give it once more

Sometimes you ask me a question
You ask why I talk so little
I hardly ever speak of love
Don't side you and smiling so brittle

You think of me all the time
You eat me, spew me and leave me
Come forth, see through your ears