Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, terrenceszyou said:

It's not an ironic post. I would really like to hear the opinion of those who admire BB. It's still not an album I've been able to digest because of the obvious issues, so I'd like to hear your thoughts. Perhaps there are positive aspects that I failed to observe.

I actually love BB, the unreleased she added to it are some of my fav unreleased so that probably contributes. WFWF is a career highlight. It has its flaws and some of its lows are low I do think overall it’s gorgeous. 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

Omg yeah I hate NFR's california for the same reasons you mentioned. It sounds like it has the bones of a really great track, but the life has been sucked out of it. My least fave on NFR hands down.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 minutes ago, VioletBunny said:

THIS. it sounds like really dull, it’s all technically correct and good but it’s just so cramped I guess? it’s like everything’s been equalised and there’s no depth to it. 

1 minute ago, lilac heaven said:

perhaps too much compression is what’s bothering you? depending on how jack and laura work, this actually might be a mastering problem; iirc Chris Gehringer has mastered every Jack song besides California, and he hasn’t mastered anything Jack hasn’t touched except Yosemite. maybe we should blame him

yeah and also i should say that i specifically have a problem with NFR in terms of the "flatness" - COCC was definitely a major improvement

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

5 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

Plenty of more examples, but it's a very comforting record for me, I love the lyricism on most of the tracks, and it's easy to wind down and let its melodies carry you away.

Thanks! I also think it has amazing songwriting, and the three singles were so good, it filled me with anticipation. The excess of unreleaseds present irritates me and makes me wonder what the album would be like if they didn't take up so much space. At the same time, I would like to understand the purpose of the album in general, and they get in my way. Sorry if this got confusing.

1 minute ago, salvatorelovesyou said:

I will not allow hatred of California when there is Happiness is a butterfly. :judgingu:

california is a GROWER if u dont get it then im really really sorry

1 minute ago, the ocean said:

whoever normally fucks up the mixing/mastering did not do it with that song

well #that person is right above this line 

and also for giving me Margaret

4 minutes ago, salvatorelovesyou said:

I will not allow hatred of California when there is Happiness is a butterfly. :judgingu:

I don't like Happiness is a Butterfly for its flat ass piano, but it's much more of a pleasant listening experience than California

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

on the topic of California, i really didn’t appreciate that song until it came on when i was driving on an empty freeway… that’s the only way it really hits for me, i can’t listen to it just like sitting in my room, i have to be driving fast and for some reason it’s a completely different experience that i can’t replicate. only correct way to listen to it

Just now, NikoGo said:

everyone, get to bed!

2 minutes ago, NikoGo said:

Ate that 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886568b484a15c22227dc                                  

"Baby you my Bugsy Malone 

and I'm your Suicide Blonde"

last.fm

5 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

on the topic of California, i really didn’t appreciate that song until it came on when i was driving on an empty freeway… that’s the only way it really hits for me, i can’t listen to it just like sitting in my room, i have to be driving fast and for some reason it’s a completely different experience that i can’t replicate. only correct way to listen to it

I know you’re probably just talking about personal experience rather than objective problems with the song but this is a point. Lana’s Cinnamon Girl teases were done in her car, and when it was released everyone was like “where’s the bass gone?” because it doesn’t sound like that via phones or AirPods or even decent headsets. 

I think Jack is a perfectionist and he loves all these little things he adds to songs, but once you leave the studio, those little things disappear and you end up with an overly compressed track. I remember a song (from COCC I think) that had like a dozen instruments on its credits but you literally can’t hear more than a handful of them. I’m sure in the studio you could hear them all clearly, but outside of it? Nah. 

Tunnels is already shaping up to be an improvement though!

Honeymoon remains not only the best but also the MOST mixed and mastered album of her entire career. 7 and a half years later and I still discover a little flute here and there or a hidden sax behind so many layers but still very much palpable. I really love Jack as a producer for Lana and Clairo specifically but Honeymoon is on a totally different level for me. It sounds expensive.

IMG-1607.jpg

Just now, Sportscruiser said:

Honeymoon remains not only the best but also the MOST mixed and mastered album of her entire career. 7 and a half years later and I still discover a little flute here and there or a hidden sax behind so many layers but still very much palpable. I really love Jack as a producer for Lana and Clairo specifically but Honeymoon is on a totally different level for me. It sounds expensive.

Honeymoon is probably the only instrumental album that I’ll listen to on the regular tbh. 

Just now, Sportscruiser said:

Absolutely. Nothing will beat Honeymoon in that department, but I have a lot of hope for Ocean Blvd because the title track sounds magnificently clear to me

1 minute ago, VioletBunny said:

I know you’re probably just talking about personal experience rather than objective problems with the song but this is a point. Lana’s Cinnamon Girl teases were done in her car, and when it was released everyone was like “where’s the bass gone?” because it doesn’t sound like that via phones or AirPods or even decent headsets. 

I think Jack is a perfectionist and he loves all these little things he adds to songs, but once you leave the studio, those little things disappear and you end up with an overly compressed track. I remember a song (from COCC I think) that had like a dozen instruments on its credits but you literally can’t hear more than a handful of them. I’m sure in the studio you could hear them all clearly, but outside of it? Nah. 

You might be referring to Dance Till We Die. I love Lana and Jack together but that song deserved to be fleshed out to the max.

IMG-1607.jpg

California has that thing that could make any Lana piano track pop, which is inserting drums from the verses after the first chorus. It is extremely pleasurable.

I have a soft spot for this song because I was in love with a guy who lived far away and for some reason I thought I would "pick him up" and "party all night". In the song, Lana just really misses a guy and wants to see him again and do good things. I can feel what she's feeling.