Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

I’d also argue that it’s possible they purposely quietened every instrument on Blue Banisters, so as to emphasize Lana’s voice. She did say it was a record for the critics, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she really wanted to make sure that the delivery of her words wouldn’t be detracted from by the production — even if the result wasn’t a favourite among select fans. 

1 minute ago, plastiscguy said:

Oh, it's the complete opposite for me. Her vocals are so loud, it's such an ear-rape situation :bebe: 

Overall, the mixing (and production) on Blue Banisters as a whole is a mess, except for a few tracks. But again, it adds to the "raw" essence, so it might be on purpose and just not my cup of tea :eartha2:

I can hear the vocals in the chorus loud and clear, but I seriously hear no production via aux. It sounds like an acapella song...:bebe:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, lilac heaven said:

while i like Zach Dawes’ work, i think Zach had a lot more of a role in that song than people think. Hell, Zach is the first credited producer, Jack is credited second 😭 

Period.. both devils in my eyes. 

but my main enemy is, and always will be, laura sisk 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

9 minutes ago, Yeahyeahyeah said:

No the WORST PART is the delivery of the Beautiful lines… she was at her lowest.

13 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

the “what is someone had AAAAAAAsked Picasso not to be SAAAAAAAAd” part is just awful :rip: I think he will do better on a better written song 

also it sounded like it was mixed on a high school calculator 

Literally hurts in the ear. I tried really hard to like it, but I didn't. It seems so uninspired. Then there's Violet for Roses, which, despite being a bit more polished, isn't the album's strong point either.

1 minute ago, Yeahyeahyeah said:

This alone shuts up any Jack hater I rest my case forever:

I actually think this lacks instrumentation, too much piano, needs some strings and other instruments to give it more power. It’s beautiful but I think it could have been even better. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

1 minute ago, Fingertips said:

I can hear the vocals in the chorus loud and clear, but I seriously hear no production via aux. It sounds like an acapella song...:bebe:

Oh, that's true! I remember when the album came out I had to filter the instrumentals and make them louder, while also adding a bit of reverb to the acapellas :air: it was definitely an improvement! 

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

1 minute ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I actually think this lacks instrumentation, too much piano, needs some strings and other instruments to give it more power. It’s beautiful but I think it could have been even better. 

I appreciate its build up so much, so atmospheric and haunting. Agree that maybe it could’ve been a little louder in the final mix, but truly Lana X Jack’s best work in terms of production I think.

It's not an ironic post. I would really like to hear the opinion of those who admire BB. It's still not an album I've been able to digest because of the obvious issues, so I'd like to hear your thoughts. Perhaps there are positive aspects that I failed to observe.

13 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

jack discourse again so i’m just gonna say it again as well, i don’t understand any of the hate! not even on the mixing, which i’ve seen people criticize too. there’s not a single lana+jack song besides one that i listen to the instrumental of and think “oh this is bad”. other than that awful out of place beat that was added to How to Disappear, the only complaints with some of the songs he’s worked on actually stem from lana herself, like the melodies (which she writes) are boring or drag on. but i don’t have a single complaint about any of his production or mixing choices besides HTD

i'm not a jack hater i'm a laura sisk hater - whoever mixed & mastered NFR and some of COCC deserves the electric chair

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

I’m starting to wonder if I need to get my hearing checked because I genuinely don’t notice the mixing issues regardless of what I’m listening on :rip:

imageproxy.jpg

Just now, tulsa jesus twink said:

the same person who mixed California also mixed beautiful

he must have had a horrible day the day he mixed beautiful

Wish Jack and Laura Sisk mastered everything tbh 😭

3 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

i’m just curious, for the people who hate on jack’s mixing (as he does co-mix almost all of the songs he’s worked on)—what are your specific problems with it? because it sounds great to me

it sounds very flat almost like you smashed it with a frying pan

there's just no atmosphere to hear at all, it sounds super super flat

edit: also let me clarify that i really only have this problem with NFR because COCC was a major improvement in basically every way in terms of mixing

Edited by the ocean

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

5 minutes ago, terrenceszyou said:

It's not an ironic post. I would really like to hear the opinion of those who admire BB. It's still not an album I've been able to digest because of the obvious issues, so I'd like to hear your thoughts. Perhaps there are positive aspects that I failed to observe.

Blue Banisters is one of those albums that I enjoy relaxing at home with or getting work done with. It's her most gentle and soothing album, so it really helps me be productive. I personally think the album has some of her best lyricism to date (yes, some of her worst as well)

You can't be a muse and be happy too, you can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy

What I can promise is I'll lie down
Like a bed of wildflowers
And I'll always make the sheets
Smell like gardenias wild at your feet
And I nourish you hazily

My father never stepped in
When his wife would rage at me
So I ended up awkward but sweet
Later than hospitals and still on my feet
Comfortably numb but with lithium came poetry

California, homeland of the Gods
Once I found my way but now I am lost

Plenty of more examples, but it's a very comforting record for me, I love the lyricism on most of the tracks, and it's easy to wind down and let its melodies carry you away.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

12 minutes ago, Yeahyeahyeah said:

This alone shuts up any Jack hater I rest my case forever:

I agree. I love how much the instrumental details are noticeable even listening to the voiced version. White Dress, Tulsa and Dark But Just a Game have incredible productions. Rich productions are not always those with excess instruments. He did well, yes! Chemtrails just should have more tracks and more high points like the beginning of the album.

Just now, the ocean said:

THIS. it sounds like really dull, it’s all technically correct and good but it’s just so cramped I guess? it’s like everything’s been equalised and there’s no depth to it. 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

3 minutes ago, the ocean said:

perhaps too much compression is what’s bothering you? depending on how jack and laura work, this actually might be a mastering problem; iirc Chris Gehringer has mastered every Jack song besides California (which was mastered by Adam Ayan who did LFL and BB), and he hasn’t mastered anything Jack hasn’t touched except Yosemite. maybe we should blame him