Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

I think Drew is okay. Most of his work with Lana is either hit or miss but at the same time, I'm not sure if it's really his fault? 

Let's remember Jack wanted to do more with Chemtrails, but ultimately Lana made him go for more of a stripped down route. 

idc, your remix of Chemtrails is amazing. I get goosebumps every time I listen to it, I barely listen to the original version now :eek2:

3 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

It’s actually the opposite 💀 Lana told Annie Mac that she “really really wanted more from Jack” and said elsewhere that she encouraged Jack to go “wilder” with the production (which I guess certainly doesn’t help lessen the often unwarranted hate for Jack here lol) - but I guess it might have been difficult to be on the same page since they were apart as Chemtrails was being finalized during the early pandemic (Lana in LA and Jack in NY).

tbh considering my opinion on NFR i'm lowkey glad he restrained himself for COCC because it's better :oprah3:

but let's not get into that in this thread :bebe:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

1 minute ago, honeymoonwhore said:

idc, your remix of Chemtrails is amazing. I get goosebumps every time I listen to it, I barely listen to the original version now :eek2:

Wait does anybody have a link to this now I'm curious. :true:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886568b484a15c22227dc                                  

"Baby you my Bugsy Malone 

and I'm your Suicide Blonde"

last.fm

2 minutes ago, honeymoonwhore said:

omg :bebe: thx sjsnsbs :spin:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

Just now, honeymoonwhore said:

I've only heard the first minute so far and my body just raised three feet off of my bed :air:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886568b484a15c22227dc                                  

"Baby you my Bugsy Malone 

and I'm your Suicide Blonde"

last.fm

4 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

omg :bebe: thx sjsnsbs :spin:

I already said this once, but the live version you did for Fine China is amazing. It's just a few elements and it's not over the top, but it's improved the song so much. The guitars in the chorus are great. Thanks! :wub:

Beautiful was whatever but Arcadia and specially IYLDWM were amazing. I'm a proud Drew stan :true: 

He also arranges for FJM and they nail it every time. I think the problem with Beautiful is that Drew works better when doing full orchestras (or at least some strings) so a lone piano didn't let him shine (even though the tinkling was pretty).

giphy.gif

Tbh let’s be fair to Mr Drew the biggest problem with Beautiful is the lyrics and honestly her delivery that’s the one song in her discography where I actually find myself actively annoyed at the vocals 

the “what is someone had AAAAAAAsked Picasso not to be SAAAAAAAAd” part is just awful :rip: I think he will do better on a better written song 

also it sounded like it was mixed on a high school calculator 

The Jack hate is the result of fans wanting to blame someone for Lana’s shift toward more lyrically ambitious and less reverb heavy/dream-pop music.

But the truth is Jack is a great producer, especially with Lana. His production can become redundant at times but not so much with Lana.

Drew on the other hand… something stinks! No but seriously I think their collaboration was the result of Jack having a crazy schedule and Lana needing to find someone quickly. I didn’t like his production on BB and whoever does the mixing for their tracks…

5 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

Tbh let’s be fair to Mr Drew the biggest problem with Beautiful is the lyrics and honestly her delivery that’s the one song in her discography where I actually find myself actively annoyed at the vocals 

the “what is someone had AAAAAAAsked Picasso not to be SAAAAAAAAd” part is just awful :rip: I think he will do better on a better written song 

also it sounded like it was mixed on a high school calculator 

No the WORST PART is the delivery of the Beautiful lines… she was at her lowest.

jack discourse again so i’m just gonna say it again as well, i don’t understand any of the hate! not even on the mixing, which i’ve seen people criticize too. there’s not a single lana+jack song besides one that i listen to the instrumental of and think “oh this is bad”. other than that awful out of place beat that was added to How to Disappear, the only complaints with some of the songs he’s worked on actually stem from lana herself, like the melodies (which she writes) are boring or drag on. but i don’t have a single complaint about any of his production or mixing choices besides HTD

Yeah, whoever mixed Drew's tracks on Blue Banisters needs to be fired. I can barely hear Arcadia on any system that isn't my car listening to the CD or headphones :rip: Aux? I have to turn that shit all the way up to even hear anything. Never happened with any Lana song before Blue Banisters

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

jack discourse again so i’m just gonna say it again as well, i don’t understand any of the hate! not even on the mixing, which i’ve seen people criticize too. there’s not a single lana+jack song besides one that i listen to the instrumental to and think “oh this is bad”. besides that awful out of place beat that was added to How to Disappear, the only complaints with some of the songs he’s worked on actually stem from lana herself, like the melodies (which she writes) are boring or drag on. but i don’t have a single complaint about any of his production or mixing choices besides HTD

I think seriously that you can’t listen to California and think the issue is the melody. It’s a gorgeous melody, gorgeous instruments, but the mixing is off. It feels like there’s a dampener on it that just stops it building. I can’t explain it but California in my eyes should’ve been her best song and unfortunately the production on it just ruins it. 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

3 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

Yeah, whoever mixed Drew's tracks on Blue Banisters needs to be fired. I can barely hear Arcadia on any system that isn't my car listening to the CD or headphones :rip: Aux? I have to turn that shit all the way up to even hear anything. Never happened with any Lana song before Blue Banisters

Oh, it's the complete opposite for me. Her vocals are so loud, it's such an ear-rape situation :bebe: 

Overall, the mixing (and production) on Blue Banisters as a whole is a mess, except for a few tracks. But again, it adds to the "raw" essence, so it might be on purpose and just not my cup of tea :eartha2:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

Just now, VioletBunny said:

I think seriously that you can’t listen to California and think the issue is the melody. It’s a gorgeous melody, gorgeous instruments, but the mixing is off. It feels like there’s a dampener on it that just stops it building. I can’t explain it but California in my eyes should’ve been her best song and unfortunately the production on it just ruins it. 

while i like Zach Dawes’ work, i think Zach had a lot more of a role in that song than people think. Hell, Zach is the first credited producer, Jack is credited second 😭