Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

On 9/21/2023 at 1:39 AM, hippo said:

whats the flower for this era? 

born to die/paradise - roses

ultraviolence - hydrangeas 

honeymoon - violets (?)

lust for life - daisies

norman - ? 

chemtrails - ? 

blue banisters - ?

tunnel - ?

there's prob some im missing but for me it would be:

• Born To Die -
    • red roses (lots of red rose symbolism/imagery through BTD as well as many other albums but it’s an iconic symbol of passion, desire, love, beauty, victory )
    •  25be00d464ab1e6cb05f74ce450f7654.jpg 
  • Paradise -
    • bird of paradise (because well paradise also symbolizes freedom, joy and anticipation like ride and american for example)
    • how-to-grow-strelitzia-1902742-02-9a29230e65d345c59770a020bc7586a2.jpg

• Ultraviolence  -
    • blue hydrangeas (hydrangeas can symbolize vanity and abundance this could explain the descriptions of opulence in the song old money)
    • 20160104212606.jpg HYDRANGEA_LETS_DANCE_BLUE_JANGLES_BIGLEAF_HYDRANGEA_GC_HYDBJ_01.jpg
      • honorable mentions -
        • deadly nightshades (ultraviolence) - witch hazel (is this happiness) - poison ivy (ultraviolence) poison ivy and deadly nightshades representing poison from the cult implications of UV. witch hazel is a symbol for warding off evil 
        •  7af97ec7c80a6e08e740c3c0c331dd4c.jpg        image-asset.jpeg?format=2500w     hero-photo-scaled.jpg

• Honeymoon -
    • rose garden mix of different pink roses such as the china rose and shrub rose (burnt norton interlude also pink and roses represent love)
    • chinarose-3.jpg     shrub%20rosesjpg.jpg
    • peonies also in the garden (peonies symbolize love, romance, and marriage)
    • 60364A.jpgFeature-image-13.jpg.optimal.jpg

• Lust for Life  -
    • daisies (lots of references to the 60s/70s in the album and known at the time as a symbol for peace such as when the world was at war we kept dancing. coachella references having flowers in your hair most commonly daisies but also references roses)
    •  ET_6QPTX0Acaghn.jpg?w=1707&ssl=1

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • clover (venice bitch); specifically owl's clover (native to california and the coast; clover symbolizes luck and hope such as hope is a dangerous thing for a woman…)
    • purple-owls-clover-700wb.jpg
    • california poppies (because its the california state flower and symbolizes dreams, relaxation, peace very california-esque )
    • Everwilde-Farms-1-lb-Orange-California-Poppy-Native-Wildflower-Seeds-Gold-Vault-Bulk-Seed-Packet_614d9201-f4f2-4f07-8267-c9d19e4132b2.987170cb63558ff5f595ba061e238e55.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

• Chemtrails Over The Country Club -
    • butterfly milkweed (native to arkansas and symbolize connection to nature and spirituality which is mentioned in tracks like tulsa jesus freak)
    • butterfly-milkweed.jpg
    • honorable mention- buttercups (represent youth, happiness, friendship example- her song features with nikki lane, zella, and weyes )
    • 5155.jpg?width=620&dpr=2&s=none

• Blue Banisters
    • wildflowers (wildflower wildflower; since there's a ton of flower references in blue banister i see it as collection of her old and new songs on BB similar to a collection of assorted flowers.)  
    • Annual-Value-Mix-GCMX-806.jpg
    • specifically violets (violets for roses; symbolism for spirituality, modesty, wisdom, everlasting love), gardenias (blue banisters; symbolism includes purity trust, and gentleness- possibly qualities she seeks in relationships), cherry blossoms (cherry blossom; symbolism for renewal and optimism; could be in reference to her wanting to have children possibly? or just the idea of rebirth )
    •  viola.sororia-scaled.jpg    GettyImages-1032747508-gardenia-2000-d8b1238a234b4de18364c67afbe0abde.jpg    

• DYKTATUOB -
    • black dahlias (she dressed as the black dahlia in candy necklaces music video & black dahlias symbolize betrayal and sadness which is definitely relevant to multiple songs like A&W, fingertips, kintsugi, etc talking about a lover who wronged her, dealing with loss, struggling with depression and grief)
    • 51Pfr1OuiDL._AC_.jpg
Edited by shadesofblue
added clarification

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

Margaret has been having seeing some nice streaming days. Outstreamed the title track yesterday and if it keeps the momentum, Paris, Texas and A&W are next. Looks like Margaret is the HIAB of this album!

I truly believe fishtail is one tiktok trend away from becoming a “hit” for her

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/discussed/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2023

According to Metacritic, Ocean Blvd is the most discussed album of 2023. NFR! was also the most discussed of 2019.

Margaret kind of has always screamed viral wedding song to me so I’m really not surprised it’s smashing now 

deserved too one of the best songs on the album!

let the light in could have been her biggest hit in YEARS tbh, if she would perform it on tour it would be a new classic song for her

I love margaret but tbh the more I listen to it the more I hate jacks verse:air: he sounds bored and his voice does not compliment Lana’s at all in the song

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

23 minutes ago, Orville Peck said:

Fingertips grew on me, it's definitely one of her best songs (lyrically). :wowcry:

Someone is having survivor game regrets...  JK

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

On 9/28/2023 at 10:31 PM, PARADIXO said:

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/discussed/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2023

According to Metacritic, Ocean Blvd is the most discussed album of 2023. NFR! was also the most discussed of 2019.

Someone needs to show this to Lana so she’ll stop thinking no one cares about her album!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

32 minutes ago, Orville Peck said:

lmaoooo :thumb3:

"It's dark but just a game"

Well played...

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

I'm not a success stan but I'm so so happy this ended up being one of her biggest albums ever, and a turning point in her career. I hope she knows that.

1 hour ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Someone needs to show this to Lana so she’ll stop thinking no one cares about her album!

Yeah someone has to. It's not that hard to contact her on social media these days...

16 hours ago, taco truck said:

I love margaret but tbh the more I listen to it the more I hate jacks verse:air: he sounds bored and his voice does not compliment Lana’s at all in the song

Jack's verse is one of my favorite moments on the entire album. Absolutely contrary to your comment, I think he sounds passionate and emotional and his voice with Lana's flow beautifully. When the "you gotta run" part starts I'm like :trisha:

14 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

I'm not a success stan but I'm so so happy this ended up being one of her biggest albums ever, and a turning point in her career. I hope she knows that.

Yeah someone has to. It's not that hard to contact her on social media these days...

Jack's verse is one of my favorite moments on the entire album. Absolutely contrary to your comment, I think he sounds passionate and emotional and his voice with Lana's flow beautifully. When the "you gotta run" part starts I'm like :trisha:

Agreed. Also, four records in, it's nice to hear him actually get a verse. The man can sing. Or at least has a good voice.

I'm a Margaret fan. It's a super slow song that many will find boring, but a beautful song nonetheless. I just wish it was on Chemtrails. Woulda sit perfectly there.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:17 PM, nowhereInParticular said:

Has this been rectified?

no i still haven't listened lmao i'm the worst. but i'm not feeling most of the songs i've heard so far. they're beautiful but her voice is so beautiful and i feel like she's trying to sing me to sleep and i'm a tired mom/preschool teacher/student and i find her making me more drowsy lmao

~INSTA1.gif

On 10/4/2023 at 11:16 AM, Beautiful Loser said:

Really like lets talk ab it because how many “Did you know that there’s a…” memes have there been, or all the press of her touring, or her going viral everytime shes at a gas station. People haven't only been talking about it, they love it! Lana is def getting the respect shes deserved for so long