Ultra Violet

Israel-Palestine conflict (Israel-Hamas war)

No one else was gonna do it so.

Here's what I read to understand what Palestinians are experiencing.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1u--MOgPuHav14hoqQbXH7LytpESUPwUMWRQ_v1kVwd8/mobilebasic#heading=h.wqzkq5qivrvt

And this is copy-pasted straight from that link,  but several days old already.

This recent escalation is a great reminder of how lucky I and others are to live in a Western country. 

USA needs to stop sending money to Israel (and every other country) and start using it to address the problems existing here. 

Do people think social media posts will really change the outcome of this conflict or is just the usual virtue signaling? If you care about the disenfranchised so much go out to your OWN community and donate your time.

Just to clarify my own position, I only started to realise what was really going on about 4 days ago.

I did not start with any particular opinion besides "war is bad and taking hostages is bad". I started to feel stupid for not understanding the context of what the news was reporting, and felt a bit cornered by people showing disbelief over people taking no stance when genocide is happening. So I decided to read for 1-2 hours, and sure enough I started to see what pro-Palestine movements are talking about and why this is so desperate.

So for those not sure what is going on. PLEASE READ. Please start to notice what your news is reporting, the language they choose, if they report news from both sides, etc. And read past the news too.

I'm not going to say what needs to be done, what needs to not be done. I can't really say I have a fleshed out opinion on the topic, since it's not really come up for me.
From a personal pov, my day's are filled with just trying to make use of my remaining free time if any (unfortunately).

I'd prefer to not spend time being potentially misunderstood/ arguing with others about this topic, so consider me as a bystander who wants to understand a bit better seeing as to how the topic's been brought about to the world's stage recently. 

In today's world of over-information and propaganda wars going on for who knows how long now, I do wanna be able to hear about it from both sides, and the objective truth/ history, facts if possible. There isn't really anything new, or proclaiming from this, but I think it'd be good to make a comment to open up and be transparent seeing as to how the thread's pretty much inactive. 

I'd rather not be quoted, but I am looking forward to learning more partially from and as the thread progresses from those who might already have a more fleshed out opinion etc. 

Disclaimer, seeing as to how much is being said by Lana being present as a signature on the other thread, again, maybe this thread can be discussed more maturely. 

UV/Honeymoon

"

700 deaths estimated in 24 hours

Gaza's health ministry spokesman Ashraf Al-Qidra said a total of 704 people were killed in the previous 24 hours alone, the highest 24-hour number of deaths reported in the two weeks of Israeli bombing.

The ministry said at least 5,791 Palestinians had been killed by Israeli bombardments of the densely populated territory since October 7, including 2,360 children.

In Israel, authorities report a death toll of 1,400, mostly from the October 7 attack by Hamas militants.

Wide areas of highly urbanised Gaza have been demolished by Israeli bombs, forcing more than half of its 2.3 million people to seek shelter elsewhere in the territory.  Residents said several people were killed or wounded when an Israeli missile hit a petrol station in Khan Younis, where people who fled the eastern side of the city were gathered to charge their devices and fill water canisters.  "They bombed them in their sleep," said Abdallah Abu Al-Atta, who lives by the petrol station.

All hospitals say they are running out of fuel to power their electricity generators, leaving them increasingly unable to treat the injured and ill. Doctors have warned that critical pieces of equipment, like incubators for newborns, risk stopping. Doctors said patients arriving at hospitals were showing signs of disease caused by overcrowding and poor sanitation. More than 40 medical centres have halted operations, either because of a lack of fuel or damage from Israeli bombing, a health ministry spokesman said."

2 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

No one else was gonna do it so.

Here's what I read to understand what Palestinians are experiencing.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1u--MOgPuHav14hoqQbXH7LytpESUPwUMWRQ_v1kVwd8/mobilebasic#heading=h.wqzkq5qivrvt

This google doc is biased and full of historical errors - not a great resource imo

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyw7KDaOBtR/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Sounds a lot like genocide to me (edit: apparently this post is not from a good person, but as far as I know, the quotes are true)

17 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

This google doc is biased and full of errors - not a great resource imo

As someone who doesn't know what to check, can you explain?

I thought all the links in there said enough.

Im going to Celtic vs Atletico Madrid tonight and we have been emailed not to bring Palestine flags basically as the club will be fined for it.

fwr0STt.png

Crazy how they don't want people supporting Palestine as they are scared of fines but when it was Ukraine then it was fine to support them and nobody cared.

0_JS314740894.jpg

That was fans from the match on Sunday and it will probably be the same tonight only will be 60,000 fans instead of 500.

The last time this happened at a Celtic match under UEFA they were fined €10,000 for "illicit banners". Then the fans raised €150,000 to donate to charities in Palestine.

CELTIC-FLAGS1.jpg

It's really weird and a disgrace that supporting Palestine can get you fired from work, suspended, fined and stuff. Something really creepy about it.

25 minutes ago, Barry said:

The last time this happened at a Celtic match under UEFA they were fined €10,000 for "illicit banners". Then the fans raised €150,000 to donate to charities in Palestine.

CELTIC-FLAGS1.jpg

Super proud of those fans! That's a very kind-hearted thing to do! ❤

url%5D

8 minutes ago, Embach said:

Super proud of those fans! That's a very kind-hearted thing to do! ❤

A fan group also set up a football academy in the Aida Refugee camp which they financially support so local kids can have training and a club to play for.

F8FOlWRXkAANM9M?format=jpg&name=900x900

F3p4AdaWgAANyMM?format=jpg&name=large

F7voCE4W8AA80D9?format=jpg&name=large

+ US voted against letting humanitarian aid into Gaza. As a member of the Security Councel of the UN, this means the entire motion got rejected.

All the roses are red, and Jupiter too 

8 hours ago, Barry said:

Im going to Celtic vs Atletico Madrid tonight and we have been emailed not to bring Palestine flags basically as the club will be fined for it.

fwr0STt.png

Crazy how they don't want people supporting Palestine as they are scared of fines but when it was Ukraine then it was fine to support them and nobody cared.

0_JS314740894.jpg

That was fans from the match on Sunday and it will probably be the same tonight only will be 60,000 fans instead of 500.

CELTIC-FLAGS1.jpg

It's really weird and a disgrace that supporting Palestine can get you fired from work, suspended, fined and stuff. Something really creepy about it.

lmao that can't be possible. I was just seeing the repercussions about this rn on Twitter.

And it seems that UEFA's efforts were in vain, right? Beautiful scenes of a sea of Palestinian flags at tonight's game. I hope that Celtic can come out with this victory and return to the fight for the top of the group

F9TsmY4W4AAggy6?format=jpg&name=large

Israel are getting to the point where.. even its closest allies are struggling to justify it. Macron and the US saying that israel are making huge errors.. the UN making it clear that israel are at fault. 

The Israeli PM confessing that he needs to be held accountable for October 7 but “after the war”.

Insanity. 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

2 minutes ago, Olympia said:

Thanks. Finally found someone speaking out my mind in this thread. The support for a terrorist group in this thread is kinda shocking, sorry. 

Israel is and has always been the OCCUPIER for the last 75 years

Being the occupier implies that they are in an OFFENSIVE posture. You can’t tell they are defending themselves when they are the colonisers.

saying the occupier defend itself is as absurd as saying a rapist is defending himself from his victim.

Palestinians have been : killed, raped, humiliated and held captive for 75 years.

Plus, it is well documented that Netanyahu funded Hamas. It is a part of his evil strategy.

What annoys me the most is the unconditional support in my country for Israel, I mean even Biden has criticized Netanyahu, and just recently the Germans also rejected a ceasefire demanded by the EU. It makes me kind of angry. :(

It's crazy when you look at the maps from 1967 until now

It's referred to as "Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories" for a reason 

And that reason is that Israel keeps building illegal settlements in Palestine (not vice versa)

Hamas literally said that this was the reason for the October 7 attacks. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't support violence against anyone, anywhere, ever, and I really feel for all the innocent people on both sides. 

But Hamas feels that Palestine is fighting for its very existence and desperate people will resort to desperate measures

These actions also (unfortunately) stoke anti-Semitism. I've seen a lot of comments about "greedy Jews" and so forth which is very disheartening and alarming. 

I just think that the Israeli govt needs to look long and hard at this policy of taking land, and reconsider. And I think Western govts need to put pressure on them about it, too. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Don’t listen to the Zionists. I’ve followed the illegal occupation of Israel for a decade. Not when it was all over the media and every social media platform. What is happening to Palestinians is unbearable, it makes me sick and I lose sleep. I have followed people who would posts updates that are now dead. Regardless of Israel’s belief to self defense, the number of civilian deaths outweighs the death of “terrorists”

the constant bombing and slaughtering of civilians only radicalizes Hamas more. And will radicalize younger generations in Palestine for years to come. I will always stand with the oppressed. Do not get confused by propaganda. 

faSE.gif

12 minutes ago, honey dew said:

Why is America so deeply allied with Israel whats going on there

For the same reason the US has had any war in the Middle East ever - influence and power over the region. 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

2 hours ago, Pedriko said:

lmao that can't be possible. I was just seeing the repercussions about this rn on Twitter.

And it seems that UEFA's efforts were in vain, right? Beautiful scenes of a sea of Palestinian flags at tonight's game. I hope that Celtic can come out with this victory and return to the fight for the top of the group

F9TsmY4W4AAggy6?format=jpg&name=large

We drew 2-2 probably should have won as we were in the lead twice and they got a guy red carded late.

This I seen went viral and it's kind of Lana themed since she sang the song before