Elle

Lana Del Rey interviewed for The Times

15 minutes ago, teamggy said:

“I had books thrown at me in San Francisco. I’ve been punched in the face in Brooklyn.”

this quote gave me 

article-1291523-0A4C3E8B000005DC-203_468

vibes 😭

It’s hard out here for the Abercrombie girls

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

2 hours ago, honey dew said:

See and even just your writing style is so eloquent and intelligent. I feel like Lana would respond really well not just to specifically the owner of Lanaboards interviewing her, but someone who so clearly wants to get to the heart of things. We’ve had enough interviews of rehashing the same old themes of authenticity, image and controversy. The fans do not care about this stuff 😑 It’s time we facilitate an interview about the intricacies of Lana’s art. Her words, melodies, symbols and metaphors, inspirations, intentions, creative process. Her universe. And to uncover all of that, someone deeply passionate and sensitive to her work needs to be the interviewer. It’s a task only a true mother could pull off

Sometimes it’s hard to tell with Lana, like, I think she’s very happy to rehash the authenticity conversation as it’s something she feels very passionate about setting straight :oic2:

I think she only wants to open up on more of her lyricisms or philosophies when it’s led by her- for example the interview mag was great and I felt we got a lot of nice snippets.. but I wouldn’t put that down to the interviewer.. I mean Billie’s interviewing didn’t push on anything she just seemed to say “oh wow, that’s cool, blah blah blah” 

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

I was wondering too if she'd go back to writing less openly personal and maybe simpler lyrics now because Ocean Blvd was so painfully honest (which I love!!), it seems that my hunch was right. I hope they'll still sound great, and hopefully sonically a little more interesting than just a piano now that she's working with more producers too. I don't know what I feel about simpler lyrics though, sometimes when I go back to her older works I'm like... she can do so much better. ^^'

I hope she's okay, I don't know why she mentioned not having kids or marriage when the reporter didn't seem to have been interested to ask about such things. :ohno:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

“I’m tired now,” Del Rey admits. “So keeping it simple is probably the way that it’s going to go. I dug around a lot writing this [album] and don’t think I have to go there again.” As such, she has plans to write an album of standards — classic, simple songs that could reach even more people than she does now.

Tbh call me delusional but I don't necessarily think "keeping it simple" has to mean the country/covers schtick, the interviewer is kind of paraphrasing her at that point, right? The last tracks of Ocean Blvd already kind of showed this transition out of some of the heaviest work of her career into lyrically much simpler / lighter songs with more experimental modern production - I don't think it's out of the question for her to go more in that direction next either 

I like how the interviewer is respectful and complements Lana's ideas in her own words (there was a career follow-up, not just a survey a few days ago). The most interesting thing about Lana is that she is on her 9th album and always has this aura that there is still a lot to come, there is a lot to be told. Like, yes, she is in a more simplistic phase, more dedicated to her family, I don't know, almost 40 years old, so I would totally understand if she announced her retirement for tomorrow. However, it is clear that even Lana knows that there is still a lot to come (and something interesting to see).

The colleague commented on her growth over the years and how she is being more respected today and admired by new fans, and, yes, I am proof of that too. She was already very popular in 2013 and I knew a lot of people (online) who were admirers of her work, but not so much in my city; and I remember staying up early in the morning listening to the unreleased songs and thinking "how come no one else is listening to this?", not in the sense that only I would be paying attention, but in the sense that it should be talked about more, there should be more fans.

And then I blink my eyes, and she is, thankfully, super popular now and seen as the artist she always was. Teenagers and children talk about her shortly after quoting Taylor Swift. It's not something common. We had artists who debuted with her at the time that today don't receive the same attention, it amazes me that their debut is still so popular, as it should have been considered, at the very least, outdated and tacky, but now young people share edits on TikTok as if it were something fresh months ago.

I think Lana will always have this rescue as new generations emerge and work becomes more and more valued over time because that's exactly what she needed - time.

Edited by terrenceszyou

This is going to sound SO stupid, but I'm in the U.K. and don't buy magazines or newspapers ever, so - 

Is the Sunday Times just sold on Sundays? Can you buy it throughout the rest of the week? Is Sunday Times Culture different to the standard Sunday Times? Where is it sold, can I just get it in a supermarket? 

:huh:

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

Omggg ok great interview, but I don't want her to dumb down and just do covers to appeal to the masses... I would love to hear some more original, experimental stuff too 

25 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

This is going to sound SO stupid, but I'm in the U.K. and don't buy magazines or newspapers ever, so - 

Is the Sunday Times just sold on Sundays? Can you buy it throughout the rest of the week? Is Sunday Times Culture different to the standard Sunday Times? Where is it sold, can I just get it in a supermarket? 

:huh:

u should be able to buy it week round, but its published each sunday as like a weekly paper to my knowledge

im not in the uk but sometimes newspapers are kind of in a pack, with something like the TV guide and a magazine inside, maybe that would be it? 

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, twinkletoes7 said:

u should be able to buy it week round, but its published each sunday as like a weekly paper to my knowledge

im not in the uk but sometimes newspapers are kind of in a pack, with something like the TV guide and a magazine inside, maybe that would be it? 

I was so confused there is a bundle of like 5 magazines inside the newspaper and it’s one of them. Of course I bought it then threw out everything else 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

2 hours ago, honeyslow said:

“I’m tired now,” Del Rey admits. “So keeping it simple is probably the way that it’s going to go. I dug around a lot writing this [album] and don’t think I have to go there again.” As such, she has plans to write an album of standards — classic, simple songs that could reach even more people than she does now.

Tbh call me delusional but I don't necessarily think "keeping it simple" has to mean the country/covers schtick, the interviewer is kind of paraphrasing her at that point, right? The last tracks of Ocean Blvd already kind of showed this transition out of some of the heaviest work of her career into lyrically much simpler / lighter songs with more experimental modern production - I don't think it's out of the question for her to go more in that direction next either 

This is what she said back in September. I very much doubt she's going to make a shitty contemporary country music. She said Americana for a reason.

The music took a huge turn from Norman, and it’s been going down that path aggressively. I’m going to continue going where I feel the only next stop is, but I think it’ll be in an Americana vein.

Lana Del Rey Talks Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Critics, Waffle House – The Hollywood Reporter

love this interview! i'm so happy she spoke about kintsugi, the song is probably my favourite from ocean blvd

with her making music a bit simpler and maybe less personal, i would like to see her get creative and find inspiration from different places to create stories or write something that is not necessarily about her life. ofc it would probably have parallels and could link to her experiences, but i think lana could create some amazing songs which are more from different perspectives, or about something she is passionate about, or specific moments in time/feelings, or even something completely fictional

A really amazing interview, which was beautifully built! It took me a long time to find the right words after I read this in the morning. It made me little bit emotional not gonna lie. She has come a long way and I'm so proud of her. I love how the interview touched every important aspect of her life and her career - what family means to her, what does she value, her current views of future, her studies at university, what's the next step in her music career. The interview did a great job! She always uses stunning words to describe her thoughts, she's an amazing example in poetry. She carries the philosophy of everyday life. I kind of felt a slight of melancholia when she talked about having children. Because I felt the indeciveness or more like the turmoil she was talking about facing a choice as an artist between having children or the desire of exploring the world, like which one would be her fate. I hope she chooses what's the best for her, she definitely knows herself the best! I love the mention of Greek mythology too and I love how some users deepened the discussion about it here, I really loved that, it was very fascinating. I also love the mention of "standards", I'm definitely one of those who thinks that it was about the cover album and I'm so excited for this! It's something I have been waiting for a long time! And I really loved the scrapped part of the interview where she talked about how fans mean a lot to her! She's a gorgeous soul inside and out, what else can I say! This Grammy-campaign period has definitely been very exciting so far! Looking forward for what's next! Long live, dear Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd album! A phenomenal masterpiece for ages! :wub::wubna::flutter:

url%5D

1 hour ago, Trash Magic said:

I was so confused there is a bundle of like 5 magazines inside the newspaper and it’s one of them. Of course I bought it then threw out everything else 

Oh man my husband didn’t pick it up cos he said the magazine said journey to centre of the earth or something! Didn’t know it was in there still! Will need to go back out tomorrow! 

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

3 hours ago, twinkletoes7 said:

2 hours ago, Trash Magic said:

Thank you! You were both right. I managed to get it from my local corner shop. It's sold in a big bundle with the main newspaper, mini newspapers inside it, and 5 magazines (one of which is the Culture one!). 

I really wanted to get this interview in print. I don't yet have the words to describe what I felt reading it. Hearing her delve a little deeper into the context of Kintsugi, what I suspect is her not having a place in the MeToo moment (A&W lyrics), Swan Song, everything— like I said, I don't have words. The final quote, “We’ll see what melts the wings," is one of my all-time favourites from a Lana interview and what cemented the fact I needed this in print. It's gorgeously expressed. It encapsulates her spirit. 

405280033_1546594132755526_6027272711610

393179924_317487731099840_17065440724635

385534693_769052831930942_16490255392487

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide