Elle

Indio, CA @ Coachella: Weekend 1 - April 12th, 2024

12 minutes ago, Three White Butterflies said:

I feel like Lana is held to an impossible standard. She doesn’t get any of the grace that other artists receive. Also, I’m reading reviews of people who actually attended her performance last night and they’re loving it and giving her lots of praise. I think her own fan base are her worst critics and people need to chill the fuck out. Someone even said that the crowd was full and everyone was loving it and they don’t know where these negative comments are coming from. 

I said long alog that lana's worst enemy are her own fans (some of them at least)

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

I’m really bad at making setlists tbh but I would’ve loved a greatest hits/fan favorites run like :true:. Still a bit baffled by the lack of guests because there’s usually a bunch with Coachella headliners 

1. Coachella (shortened)

2. West Coast

3. Doin Time (ft Sublime because where were they?)

4. Cherry (with Scarborough Fair)

5. Mariners or some shit (ft Jack) 

6. Radio 

7. Unreleased (Queen of Disaster, Jealous Girl, Serial Killer, etc)
8.  HBTB

9. Candy Necklace (ft Jon)

10. Let the Light In (ft FJM) 

11. Thunder (ft Faye Webster, who tf knows?)

12. Brooklyn Baby

13. FIILY/The Greatest

14. Taco Truck x VB  (idk featuring Peso Pluma or someone because why did she only have one guest?) 

15. Summertime Sadness because it’s a requirement at this point

16.  Peppers

17. Ocean Eyes/Video Games (Billie)

18.  A&W
19. Young and Beautiful I guess ugh

All power to her if she wants to have more lowkey shows, but Coachella is the time to bring out energy for not only your fans but the festival goers who are interested in seeing you. Music headliners at any fest really are supposed to have captivating performances that non-fans can also enjoy.

sgopYhV.gif

It’s not just the mic- Lana has shown many times she’s 10x more vocally accomplished than someone like Billie but’s inconsistent as hell. This is likely due to poor practice and smoking- you can’t blame the mic for everything when there’s dozens of musicians who have mic issues and still sound good- an in ear issue could be the case in which case she should fire and rehire and a new technician 

8 minutes ago, twinkletoes7 said:

honestly, i think a lot of it is based on misogyny which again is putting her fans into a stereotype since they are not all women at all.

but, i would say the majority of lanas fanbase are women and queer men. we see these stereotypes with anything at all that this demographic enjoys, like astrology for instance. it’s just not taken seriously at all for some reason, like it’s a feminine thing to like and that femininity is inferior. and because they’ve grouped lana into this, they’ll never admit men can enjoy her too :/

people will always have a problem with lana because she has an absolute cult following of mainly women and that offends them! out of all of the bad places i’ve been in life i’ve found comfort and guidance in lana, her music is so much more than just “sad”. 

I agree her fanbase seems to be predominantly composed of women and "queer men," as you call them. But no one considers Elvis Presely's or Frank Sinatra's music men's music, or Led Zepplin's, Jeff Buckely's, or 21 Pilots'  either. There is misogyny involved insofar as some men seem to automatically think of Lorde's or Lana's music as women's music, when I don't think they would say the same thing about, say, Amy Winehouse. 

Unfortunately, too many people think in a kind of cultural shorthand that actually doesn't involve thinking on their part, just the spontaneous acceptance of outdated cultural stereotypes. 

Among the young, I'm happy to see heterosexual-leaning male high school athletes unselfconsciously buying and wearing pink shorts, sneakers, or Crocs without even considering "but pink is for girls." 

I do think, culturally, we're moving in the right direction in that regard, at least among the young—which is where it counts. 

4 minutes ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I’m really bad at making setlists tbh but I would’ve loved a greatest hits/fan favorites run like :true:

1. Coachella (shortened)

2. West Coast

3. Doin Time (ft Sublime because where were they?)

4. Cherry (with Scarborough Fair)

5. Mariners or some shit (ft Jack) 

6. Radio 

7. Unreleased (Queen of Disaster, Jealous Girl, Serial Killer, etc)
8.  HBTB

9. Candy Necklace

10. Let the Light In (ft FJM) 

11. Thunder 

12. Brooklyn Baby

13. FIILY/The Greatest

14. Taco Truck x VB  (idk featuring Peso Pluma or someone because why did she only one guest?) 

15. Summertime Sadness because it’s a requirement at this point

16.  Peppers

17. Ocean Eyes/Video Games 

18.  A&W
19. Young and Beautiful I guess ugh

All power to her if she wants to have more lowkey shows, but Coachella is the time to bring out energy for not only your fans but the festival goers who are interested in seeing you 

I feel like this is a perfect setlist that’s actually attainable! It’s a great cross-section of stuff the general Coachella audience would enjoy and tracks we’d get an extra kick out of her performing. Everyone wins with this one :true:

o4qjp4j.png

3 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

Tbh upon rewatching it, it wasn’t nearly as bad once you know what you are in for. It is actually a nice performance

I’m gonna rewatch in a bit. It felt bad last night but mostly because I know what the critics will say.

But real talk, the “motorcycles” were goofy. We needed real bikes & bikers like in Ride, those were damn near scooters. 

🫧 ELVIS WHERE ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU MOST 🫧

tumblr_inline_npxzudKmZ21szaa83_250.gifv

🫧 I CAN’T HELP BUT FEEL SOMEWHAT LIKE MY BODY MARRED MY SOUL🫧

1 minute ago, 69 Million Stars said:

I’m gonna rewatch in a bit. It felt bad last night but mostly because I know what the critics will say.

But real talk, the “motorcycles” were goofy. We needed real bikes & bikers like in Ride, those were damn near scooters. 

They were electric I wonder if coachella doesn’t allow traditionally powered vehicles or something. Or maybe they’re just safer for insurance purposes but ugh we need to hear them revving

9 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Unfortunately, too many people think in a kind of cultural shorthand that actually doesn't involve thinking on their part, just the spontaneous acceptance of outdated cultural stereotypes. 

I do think, culturally, we're moving in the right direction in that regard, at least among the young—which is where it counts. 

i completely agree, in my brain lana is this generations amy yet they are received so differently. i said women and queer men as that was once an actual thing a man said to me on tinder, please someone let me know if that term was offensive i just don’t want to limit it to gay men!

it is so disappointing to see those kind of reviews still exist but you’re right at least we are seeing change 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, violettiaras said:

They were electric I wonder if coachella doesn’t allow traditionally powered vehicles or something. Or maybe they’re just safer for insurance purposes but ugh we need to hear them revving

Yea my husband said the same thing. Imagine motorcycles like in ride and then doing the Tropico trilogy in the middle of the set. Ugh I wanted this to be more redemptive 

🫧 ELVIS WHERE ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU MOST 🫧

tumblr_inline_npxzudKmZ21szaa83_250.gifv

🫧 I CAN’T HELP BUT FEEL SOMEWHAT LIKE MY BODY MARRED MY SOUL🫧

13 minutes ago, twinkletoes7 said:

i completely agree, in my brain lana is this generations amy yet they are received so differently. i said women and queer men as that was once an actual thing a man said to me on tinder so i suppose that must be the consensus by idiots.

it is so disappointing to see those kind of reviews still exist but you’re right at least we are seeing change 

I think we are seeing change—I'm seeing it here in NYC. If young male athletes can unselfconsciously wear pink shorts or paint their fingernails black on a lark, then young people are thinking in a freer and broader fashion.  

If some men (or women) can't relate to Lana, so be it. We don't need them to and neither does Lana. Everyone is free to like what they like, and as a result, sometimes we hear things we find stupid, like "Oh, Lana Del Rey? THAT'S Women's Music." The same thing was said for decades about Tori Amos. 

Anyway, headlining venues like Coachella will help free people of the notion that Lana's music is written for or appeals primarily to women. 

Mer’s Dream Lanachella Setlist

Spoiler

1. The Stargirl Intro with interpolations of Coachella 

2. Lust For Life (with guest, The Weekend) [I know having the first song on the set list with a guest is controversial, but I feel like it would calm her nerves having Abel there]
3. Cherry 

4. Mariners Apartment Complex 

5. Doin Time 

6. West Coast/High By The Beach Mashup

7. Thunder 

8. Candy Necklace (with guest, Jon Batiste) 

9. Margaret (with Jon on piano - Fuck you Jack) 

10. Brooklyn Baby 

11. Pretty When You Cry

12. Ocean Eyes (keep Billie I guess, it’ll go viral) 

13. Say Yes To Heaven (with Billie)

14. Fuck It I Love You 

15. Summertime Sadness 

16. Fishtail 

17. Jimmy 

18. Young And Beautiful 

19. Let The Light In (with FJM) 

20. Video Games (sang from back of motorcycle while riding out) 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

I personally don’t mind the piano ballards at all, but the entrance was so iconic. It would’ve been so special for her to perform a brand new song from Lasso, especially since that website dropped. At this point in her career, she seems to prefer slower piano based songs, which I'm a fan of. The setup was gorgeous, and her look last night was stunning, she looked like a princess.:wub:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄