Elle

Indio, CA @ Coachella: Weekend 1 - April 12th, 2024

I feel like we are being way too harsh on her for her vocals. She literally sang cherry & aw and didn’t playback like in forever, was ready to serve vocals in pwyc but the mic didn’t let her etc. I noticed her mood went downhill super quickly after she noticed her mic was screwed up and she also tried to incorporate all of her high notes by either singing them in a Lower note, letting a background singer take over, or singing less belty more breathy. I can easily tell this was the most effort she put in forever but was bummed super easily by tech issues.

1 hour ago, BoysOfSummer said:

Someone on sit me like she sat on the bike. What a cowgirl.

What the fuck

13 minutes ago, Umaniac said:

I feel like we are being way too harsh on her for her vocals. She literally sang cherry & aw and didn’t playback like in forever, was ready to serve vocals in pwyc but the mic didn’t let her etc. I noticed her mood went downhill super quickly after she noticed her mic was screwed up and she also tried to incorporate all of her high notes by either singing them in a Lower note, letting a background singer take over, or singing less belty more breathy. I can easily tell this was the most effort she put in forever but was bummed super easily by tech issues.

Next week will definetly be better but the vocals weren’t nessesccarily bad i don’t understand the hate

7 hours ago, misslonaxo said:

Jack Antonoff looked so fucking confused playing piano for a hologram.

:twirls:

I think his “confusion”

was a reference to his outro on the album, Because after Hope - He starts asking if she’s real, If this was all a dream / Hoping it’s real.

IMG-3521.jpg

Posted (edited)

Edited by shadesofblue
not sure why this posted twice

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

10 hours ago, LanaBalkana said:

I like that everyone across social media is blaming her vocals on the mic issues. While I do think the issue was not only with the sound, but also that she was out of tune and not fully there vocally, her having problems in her earpiece probably fucked with her head and messed her performance. Hopefully next week these issues are gone and she is able to relax and not worry so much about the sound. 

I mean the issues you mentioned are all connected

If she can't hear herself or her music then ofc she's gonna be outta tune and not feel confident

It's like a snowball effect 

Sound engineer(s) had one job and they fucked it up 

It's actually pretty embarrassing for Coachella that this was a problem on that stage all day, for multiple artists

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

52 minutes ago, ShadesOfViolence said:

wondering why she felt that she needs to put Without You in the setlist, even making it a first song of the concert

I think bc of the message of the song that’s why she chose it as an opener

its essentially “I’m happy & I have everything I want in life, but I’d have nothing without you (fans)”

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

1 minute ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

its essentially “I’m happy & I have everything I want in life, but I’d have nothing without you (fans)”

yeah i think it means this too, i remembered her performance at amoeba where she was really grateful for her fans at the time :xcry:

14 minutes ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

and it was a microphone test

Hello-hello, can-can you hear me?

:troll:

6 minutes ago, Rock Candy said:

replacing bartender with a cinnamon girl would be enough, I think

that would’ve been the collapse of the year

5 hours ago, barttttender said:

I hear you. But about this: "We can try to mold a perfect Lana performance in our head, but at the end of the day, she’s going to do whatever tf she wants. "

The issue is we've all seen "perfect performances" from her many times, and we know she can do it. She sang at Glastonbury 10 years ago and she was great.

An artist should move forward, after 10+ years in the business. So, obviously, if she renders a weird setlist with shaky vocals, people will be disappointed. Sure, she can do whatever the f she wants. But it's hard to go "WOW!" about a performance like this when Beyonce, Gaga, Lipa and others are putting on EPIC shows that tear the house down left and right with vocals that are out of this world good.

She was lovely and herself and beautiful, and we still love her. It's like watching a shy poet perform. But, technically,  for the price of these tickets, the show should have been better. Like I said before, when I saw her life during NFR, that miles better vocally, setlist- and choreo- wise, and that was 5 years ago. So, why is she regressing as a performer? 

That is the beef The Guardian and others had with it. And it's not like she's universally praised for this.

Glastonbury wasn’t perfect either. It’s definitely up there as a great set by her. The opening of Cola is lacking energy, for example. Sure, her rendition of UV was one of the best things she’s ever performed live, but even in that set we saw some low energy bits and vocals that were “lacking.”

She was in a different era then, which was my point about the pacing and choosing tracks. Some artists only do what their fans want. Others only do what they want. On the spectrum, Lana does care about her fans, but she’s more of a “I’ll do whatever I want” and I’ve always loved that about her. 

Some artists sound perfectly polished and flawless live. That’s not her. She’s always been a bit nervous and timid. I don’t knock her for it. Others go 20-30 years and their live performances don’t feel as great as the original records, they lack energy, etc.

We do realize that Lana is one of those artists who’s never released a live album, right? Even officially disseminated live recordings are fairly rare and are usually put out by the station, TV show or organization. There’s a reason for that. 

Why do we have to compare her to other artists? Why should we compare her to anyone? She’s extremely unique and doesn’t follow most pop culture rules.

Again, I’m conceding that Coachella 2024 I wasn’t her best performance. I even gave a review earlier and said I was relatively unimpressed, but that it wasn’t bad. 

When we try to compare ourselves or those who we love/admire to others, that’s where things start to go wrong.

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879