Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

2 hours ago, Let the Light In said:

This is such an album cover photo 

IMG-9812.png

_ASSC

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

What I'd love for Lasso (just musically): 

• Lots of strings that have a slightly creepy, very atmospheric effect (like the beginning of live Body Electric) 
  • Experimental instrumentals with country-blues-rock sounds (think The Greatest or VB, but a different genre) 
  • Murky, swampy vibes that makes you imagine sitting by a bayou and cleaning a gun after you've just got revenge on your ex-lover (Oddly specific I know :oic2:)
  • A spoken word intro/outro for a song like High by the Beach

I'm really not worried about the lyrics because as long as Lana is the songwriter I trust her. She is the greatest songwriter of this century, so you know, no worries there :agree: Even the albums which have much weaker, more repetitive lyrics like UV — don't attack me because it's still one of my top albums — are nevertheless fantastic

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

2 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

I was just looking at that list of Southern Gothic art again, and it named A Streetcar Named Desire, which as we all know Lana quoted in Ride — and she has called Ride a country song before. Ride is definitely a career highlight so I'm personally really excited :party:

When I think country and Southern Gothic, I think of her earlier pre-fame days and then the Paradise-Tropico era (not musically, but in terms of lyrics and influence), not her more recent work. I can't wait to hear what she comes up with :flutter:

I was thinking the same thing, her most ~southern gothic~ moments are the unreleased Tropico songs. 

Alabama in the Springtime is heavenlyyyyy :pray2:

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

37 minutes ago, Eugene said:

I hope she was inspired by some of AKA Lizzy Grant lyrics for this album. :true:

I NEED NEED NEED her to reuse these lyrics from Kill Kill:

One, two, make it fun

Don't trust anyone

2.gif

I asked chatgpt about southern gothic and I didn’t expect to cry :krylie:

Southern Gothic, it's like that melancholic magic that Lana always taps into, you know? It’s the feeling of old, crumbling mansions hidden in the mossy South, with secrets buried deeper than the roots of the ancient oaks. There's this haunting beauty, almost like the faded glamour of a long-lost love that Lana croons about. You can practically hear her voice echoing through the ghostly halls, where the past is never really dead, and everything’s drenched in a heavy, honeyed sadness. It's the drama, the decay, the raw emotion—just like Lana's music, Southern Gothic feels like a love letter to the darkness we can't help but be drawn to.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of it

pet96.gif pet96.gif pet96.gif

2 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

I asked chatgpt about southern gothic and I didn’t expect to cry :krylie:

Southern Gothic, it's like that melancholic magic that Lana always taps into, you know? It’s the feeling of old, crumbling mansions hidden in the mossy South, with secrets buried deeper than the roots of the ancient oaks. There's this haunting beauty, almost like the faded glamour of a long-lost love that Lana croons about. You can practically hear her voice echoing through the ghostly halls, where the past is never really dead, and everything’s drenched in a heavy, honeyed sadness. It's the drama, the decay, the raw emotion—just like Lana's music, Southern Gothic feels like a love letter to the darkness we can't help but be drawn to.

That is so beautiful omg

Carmen GIF by Lana Del Rey

︵‿୨ ♱ I talk to Jesus / And ask him if he'll think of saving me ♱ ୧‿︵

3 hours ago, Vertimus said:

I know the literary genre of Southern Gothic (Poe, Ambrose Bierce, William Faukner, Flannery O'Connor, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, et al) , but not the musical, though I know the term has also been applied to films made from Southern Gothic novels, and then television programs. The term entered the mainstream in the 1970s-1980s. Songs like The House of the Rising Sun I associate more with pure American folk music, then made famous by the Animals, and also covered by Marianne Faithfull in the 1960s. 

Brett Detar's two relatively recent solo albums, Bird in a Tangle and especially Too Free To Live have strong SG themes and motifs, and Rayland Baxter released a grim song called  The Cold Easy Life Of A Loner, but I can't think of a lot of other Country or Americana artists that do.

Most 'Country' for the last 50 years has really been Country Pop, very repetitive in theme and sound, and typically upbeat in intention. Ho-hum. 

So it's hard to know what Lana's grasp of the term country means, especially in light of her past album descriptions, which have often been off. I know she said some or all of Honeymoon was inspired by "long drives around LA at night listening to Miles Davis," but I still don't hear any genuine jazz underpinnings on Honeymoon.

Buddy's Rendezvous did have jazz underpinnings or was outright jazz. 

I'm glad it's still called Lasso. If it's no longer a stab at Country, then the sky's the limit. As some have commented, that opening theme that was played sounded more like pre-NFR! Lana than post-.  

If its southern gothic an Ode To Billie Joe cover might be very interesting....especially with the parallels between Lana and Bobbie Gentry

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

22 hours ago, Sunbather Moonchaser said:

No... It meant that the new singles will be a follow up to Tough... But not with Quavo. 

Then who is “we” when she said “we have two more coming out by the end of the year!”

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

Lana Del Rey’s music often weaves a rich tapestry of influences, and while she’s not exclusively associated with Southern Gothic, there are moments in her discography that evoke its haunting, atmospheric qualities. Here are a few songs that might resonate with that vibe:

1. “Ultraviolence”: The title track from her second studio album features dark, moody instrumentation and lyrics that explore themes of love, violence, and nostalgia. The reference to the Crystals’ “He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)” adds a layer of unsettling beauty.

2. “White Dress”: In this song, Lana name-drops the White Stripes and Kings of Leon while reflecting on her past. The blend of nostalgia, melancholy, and a touch of Southern imagery creates an intriguing atmosphere.

3. “Fishtail”: Although not one of her most well-known tracks, “Fishtail” includes references like “skipping rope in the bayou,” which align with Southern Gothic themes. The song’s dreamy quality and evocative lyrics contribute to its mysterious allure.

4. “Lasso”: From her 2024 album, “Lasso” has been described as having a “Southern Gothic” vibe. While it’s not released yet, fans have speculated about its potential influences and themes.

5. “Ride”: This cinematic track from her “Born to Die: Paradise Edition” album combines lush orchestration with lyrics about freedom, longing, and the open road. The video, set against desert landscapes, adds to the haunting atmosphere.

6. “Old Money”: From the “Ultraviolence” album, “Old Money” features Lana’s signature dreamy vocals and nostalgic reflections. The references to wealth, faded glamour, and lost love create a melancholic mood.

7. “Swan Song”: Although not as well-known, “Swan Song” has a haunting quality. The lyrics touch on themes of mortality, transformation, and the passage of time

8. “Heroin”: A raw and emotional song from the “Lust for Life” album, “Heroin” delves into addiction, despair, and self-destructive tendencies. The slow tempo and haunting melody contribute to its Southern Gothic feel.

Remember that Lana Del Rey’s music often blurs genres, and her storytelling can be both personal and fictional. So, while these songs may evoke Southern Gothic elements, they’re also uniquely Lana. 🌟

Fishtail? lmao :eartha:

Graphic design is my passion - so I spent those last half an hour making a very shitty Lasso album cover art edit but I wanted to visualize the aesthetic of it. It's very minimal but I'm expecting semi-horror black & white Neil Krug-esque photo of Lana in the countryside.

Lasso.jpg

2.gif

2 minutes ago, Embach said:

Graphic design is my passion - so I spent those last half an hour making a very shitty Lasso album cover art edit but I wanted to visualize the aesthetic of it. It's very minimal but I'm expecting semi-horror black & white Neil Krug-esque photo of Lana in the countryside.

Lasso.jpg

This is actually pretty

29 minutes ago, Liz Taylor Blues said:

If its southern gothic an Ode To Billie Joe cover might be very interesting....especially with the parallels between Lana and Bobbie Gentry

What are the similarities, LTB?

I know the Gentry song of course, and in the 70s, it was made into a film in which Billie Joe commits suicide because he spends a night with his male boss, presumably in the passive role. I was surprised that that was the spin placed on the song. 

15 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

What are the similarities, LTB?

I know the Gentry song of course, and in the 70s, it was made into a film in which Billie Joe commits suicide because he spends a night with his male boss, presumably in the passive role. I was surprised that that was the spin placed on the song. 

Gentry had a similar aesthetic to Lana, is associated with Elvis, and also famously dissapeared completely like Lana flirts with every now and again.. As for the film while its not my interpretation of the song.... the song is intentionally open ended. I's more about casual cruelty than the suicide/murder itself. Nobody at the table notices their daughter/sister dying inside at the conversation....never mind the lack of sympathy for Billy Joe himself.  That said Gentry was involved with the movie and did not show any disapproval of their interpretation. Now wherther thats because she liked it or because she's not the type to comment on anything publicly we will never know.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

1 hour ago, Embach said:

Lasso.jpg

ate :mariah:

2 hours ago, Embach said:

I just know that, our beloved sir, Dan Auerbach, would nail the Southern Gothic style with Lana so well, especially considering that he has produced country albums before as well (for example, he produced a country album for Nikki Lane in 2014, the same year as Ultraviolence - that's how Lana and Nikki met) and he also lives in Nashville and I remember very well that Lana was writing her new album in Nashville in late 2023 and early 2024). So there might be even a tiniest chance, like 0.00001% chance, that they reunited for Lasso, at least the delulu in me hopes. Even for a one track, please :wipe:

I'm deluluing with you bestie :true:

j9Fpjea9OY.webp

"Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon."

6 hours ago, Sunbather Moonchaser said:

I need atleast one song that feels like you're walking throught a cemetery when it's a dark gloomy night... :true:

:charli:

26 minutes ago, MyLivingLegends said:

Do you guys think that one of the two new singles will be 'Mirror' ? I really hope so

I really like this song from what we heard. But is it « big enough » for a single? 🤷🏼