honeyslow

Drop Nineteens Release 'White Dress' Cover

i am absolutely obsessed w this. it’s so different, this is not ever expected from them! if you like shoegaze you will love! it’s one of my fav songs atm now :grinds:

weird floaty vocals, feedback and lyrics/vocals taking the backseat etc is a huge part of shoegaze, it’s a great song if ur into it! 

drop nineteen doing heavier vocals in a song in general is a suprise nevermind the lyrics making sense nevermind them being LANA lyrics im having an absolute moment. Goodbye world i’m not tolerating hate on this song

also white dress would be a relatable song for many celebrities, saying it’s too personal is a load of bs 

giphy.gif

It's good, it's shoegaze-y and it works for their genre and overall vibe. I like it tbf, agree on the fact that they could've used female vocals for it, since they also have a female vocalist

19 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

it's actually a White Dress cover (currently listening to it via New Zealand VPN) :oprah4:

In a work call right now, can't wait to listen later. I love shoegaze, especially  the 90s stuff, like Lush and Slowdive. Lush, in particular, were incredible. Check out their song Undertow. It's mind-blowing. Bands like The Radio Dept, which are a bit newer, are also cool. This Swedish band was featured prominently in Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, worked like a charm with Coppola's languid mood and atmosphere.

Fun fact: it's called shoegaze because band members use a lot of pedalo on the guitars for reverb etc so they have to keep their heads down all the time.

50 minutes ago, barttttender said:

In a work call right now, can't wait to listen later. I love shoegaze, especially  the 90s stuff, like Lush and Slowdive. Lush, in particular, were incredible. Check out their song Undertow. It's mind-blowing. Bands like The Radio Dept, which are a bit newer, are also cool. This Swedish band was featured prominently in Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, worked like a charm with Coppola's languid mood and atmosphere.

Fun fact: it's called shoegaze because band members use a lot of pedalo on the guitars for reverb etc so they have to keep their heads down all the time.

Ok, just listened. The vocals are rubbish. The guy can barely carry a tune.

It's a flop for me.

8 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Ok, just listened. The vocals are rubbish. The guy can barely carry a tune.

It's a flop for me.

This is what good shoegaze sounds like:

I. LOVE. IT.

this is literally the genre I listen to the most :bop::bop::bop:

although I agree that the vocals are a bit meh, and it feels a bit weird to cover such a personal song 

13.04.2018 Rome - Lana wore my hat! 

Dying by the hand of a foreign man, Happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, Ciao amore

I enjoyed the cover but I will always have a bias/preference for shoegaze/dream pop :oprah3: it did take me a couple of listens but it clicked - I think the production is very great. 

I think what I enjoy the most about it though is that it’s a more unique song for a Lana cover compared to Video Games, Young and Beautiful, Summertime Sadness, etc. I’m glad to hear that her more “deep cut” music is influenced a well known band in the shoegaze/alt 90s music scene.  

if you like the track, do check out their first album as it’s great (the track Kick the Tragedy and Winona are great). They’re also probably the most prominent American shoegaze band, which is pretty cool (most of them are from the UK). It was funny - I was listening to Winona recently and there’s a line: “Another record shop story that was born to die” :dance:

sgopYhV.gif

7 minutes ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I enjoyed the cover but I will always have a bias/preference for shoegaze/dream pop :oprah3: it did take me a couple of listens but it clicked - I think the production is very great. 

I think what I enjoy the most about it though is that it’s a more unique song for a Lana cover compared to Video Games, Young and Beautiful, Summertime Sadness, etc. I’m glad to hear that her more “deep cut” music is influenced a well known band in the shoegaze/alt 90s music scene.  

if you like the track, do check out their first album as it’s great (the track Kick the Tragedy and Winona are great). They’re also probably the most prominent American shoegaze band, which is pretty cool (most of them are from the UK). It was funny - I was listening to Winona recently and there’s a line: “Another record shop story that was born to die” :dance:

right, I have the same opinion as you! it's interesting they chose white dress out of her entire discography, especially when they could've been so obvious and choose something off ultraviolence

I'm just checking their first album now, I thought I didn't know them but I've heard kick the tragedy before, in some random playlist spotify made me lol I'm enjoying delaware so far :bop:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

this is only half related now, but looks like they released their white dress cover as promo for both their tour and their remastering of Delaware their first album.

the original cover depicts a girl holding a gun, and they’ve changed it so she is holding flowers instead, and are donating proceeds to artists for action to prevent gun violence! 

giphy.gif

https://www.stereogum.com/2257171/drop-nineteens-white-dress-lana-del-rey-cover/music/

“I was admittedly late to Lana,” bandleader Greg Ackell said in a statement. “But this track got me and it just won’t let go, so I decided to bring it to the band. The band looked at me a little sideways when I suggested covering Lana Del Rey’s ‘White Dress,’ but the moment we started running through what I had in mind together, they locked in on it.”