rocknrollgroupie

Lana Del Rey and Quavo “Tough” - OUT NOW!

I hate this song it's the worst....... only because I listened to it 5000 times on my way to school and had it stuck in my head when I was doing my chem midterm and couldn't concentrate on calculating shit because all my brain would do is TUFF LIKE DA SCUFF ON A PAIR OF OLLLLD LEATHA BOOTS :dance: ok but be fr this is a super fun summer bop

soon 😍🚀

I’m sure it’s already been said, but I find Quavo’s verse way too loud when he comes in during the beginning of the song. I always turn the volume down a little bit because it’s sort of jarring. It like doesn’t match the rest of the volume of the song, at least to me 

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Lady [to Laura]: “When this kind of fire starts, it is 
very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”

3 hours ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

Okay that makes me feel better about thinking that this is her worst song ever lyrically :toofunny:

Overall... I think the song is just fine. It feels very demoy to me honestly

The highlight really is the bridge and her vocals 

you think this is her worst song lyrically?

isnt beautiful just "beautiful🎶" on repeat like 7,000 times?  'Sad girl, i'm a sad girl, i'm a sad girl'?

coachella? Puh-lease! 

Tough is a lyrical masterpiece by comparison

god this is such a bop. this could end up being her biggest debut in a while given how much anticipation there was.. and its totally radio friendly 🤭🤭 stream up!!

(but dont take me too seriously) :daydream:

JANELLE MONAE • WEYES BLOOD • ETHEL CAIN • MITSKI • BOYGENIUS • LUCY DACUS • PHOEBE BRIDGERS • CHAPPELL ROAN • TAYLOR SWIFT • THE LAST DINNER PARTY

3 hours ago, MamaDelGhey said:

Maddox’s original lyrics “like a bullet made out of brass” make so much more sense than .38, ain’t nobody want a fuckin gun made out of brass. Why did they change it :sadcore:

isnt .38 a type of bullet for that type of gun.. im not american and im not familiar with their obsession towards the 2nd amendment but still :rip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

giphy.gif

The bridge is the best part, but the chorus is an ear worm. 
I don’t think this rapper collab is a scratch on LFL ones though.. I think maybe I just don’t like Quavo’s style.

but it’s a single anyway and singles never get much replay from me.. I like a full body of work :oic2:

like a dream, you glide on the water 

IMG-7034.gif

and like a star, I shine from the shore 

51 minutes ago, blackestday x tough said:

It has more flow. A&w is overrated, even on ob are better Songs. 

Yeah, a lot of outrage over the idea that some folks might prefer tough to AW. And there are people who do

But, for me, it's simple. AW, as lush, dark and meticulously produced as it is, is a very depressing cut. I need to be in a particular mood to listen to it. 

Tough you can play to feel good, in the car, on holiday, with your friends, with your boyfriend. 

That being said, it's a matter of personal preference. And we don't need to have these songs compete like horses. They're both good in their own way.

9 minutes ago, SuperMegaStan said:

isnt .38 a type of bullet for that type of gun.. im not american and im not familiar with their obsession towards the 2nd amendment but still :rip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

While technically right about that particular bullet, that’s just not how we say it. When only saying .38, most Americans would assume you’re talking about the gun itself. 

🫧 ELVIS WHERE ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU MOST 🫧

tumblr_inline_npxzudKmZ21szaa83_250.gifv

🫧 I CAN’T HELP BUT FEEL SOMEWHAT LIKE MY BODY MARRED MY SOUL🫧

36 minutes ago, Bluelake said:

I really really love the outro, especially the instrumental, it’s so Born To Die

So is the bridge 

Agree.

I really like them talking. Lana's voice is so cute and natural. I like the Outro so much that I think that for the music to be better, the Outro should be longer, with more instruments and ambience. In fact, I think the whole song should be longer. With a few extras here and there for ambience, the song could be 5 minutes long, just like Lana's traditional song. But, I understand being short so that it has its replay factor and is more commercial. It's actually not a 2 minute song, so it's not short. But Lana's songs tend to be long and give such a complete experience that this one gives me that "I want more" feeling.

Taking advantage of the comment hook, these are my thoughts on... :daydream:

Track:
It's a great song. Just because it's more danceable and pop doesn't mean it's integrated music and shouldn't be taken seriously. In fact, here's what makes Lana genius: mixing seemingly different genres smoothly and making it immediately sound modern and, at the same time, timeless, even if we don't know what its longevity will be like.

Yes, it's on Quavo's channel, the font of his name is bigger, whatever, but this is definitely a Lana song. The two collaborated together, he's the rapper, but we should appreciate how he let Lana insert her own style here and not just be a prop for the track. Even in Lana's tracks with other rappers there isn't as much Lana as here (and I don't mean in the sense of the duration of seconds of her singing, but in the construction of the track and sound). This is a very positive point.

The MV:

Not so good. :um:

I mean, it has cute visuals. But, just because it is recorded/edited with Super8 does not mean that the images must be so shaky and, due to their editing, appear to have no planned creative direction. It looks like they went to the field and improvised some takes as they came to mind - which also gives a fun result. But, come on, everyone, deep down, was expecting a super production, or some light storytelling.

The recording yielded beautiful images. Lana was at ease and she has a lot of chemistry with Quavo. I blame the video editor who made terrible cuts, very abrupt and little thought out. I don't know, but I think it was a crime that the American Queen flag wasn't displayed in slow motion during the bridge.

I know it's not a super production, but good editing counts for a lot. Next time, see images of Lana and a laptop. She will know what to do.

The lyrical genius of Summer Bummer and Doin Time remains unmatched by Tough sigh..:poordat:

Seriously some of y'all need to just keep your expectations grounded. It's a fun bop and ngl i feel like i've overplayed it by now esp considering i listened to the live performance a lot as well, but lets just stop comparing it to actual album tracks. If i'm being honest i wouldnt care for it on Lasso tbh, but i'll bop every now and then

edit: Before someone says Doin Time is a cover, i obviously know :toofloppy: but y'all know what i mean

Adding to the discourse…I think it’s fun and both lyrically and sonically does a lot to build the thematic and atmospheric world that Lana could very well be going for on a country album.

It’s a heavily stylized track, which is a nice breath from the cathartic, dense, and wordy output of the last few records——which was very intellectual, profound, and beautiful, and bore some of her best work ever, and I’d love to hear some of that with a country flair on Lasso——but as she herself said, it sounds like she’s now in a more melodic place where the emphasis is on the sound and style than any detailed lyrical exploration.

Hence, a genre as specific and motif-driven as country makes perfect sense for her to dive into fully now. 

54 minutes ago, honeymoon is alive said:

omg not everything has to be a kintsugi level of songwriting, whatever happened to fun???? IMG-2760.jpg

Sometimes you just want to shake your booty to a song with a trap beat by lana :oprah:

𝐁𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐨𝐰𝐛𝐨𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐥𝐦𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐠𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐨𝐨𝐧𝐬

𝐓𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞

★★