Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Don't get me wrong, I love all the channels making "Ultraviolence" versions of other Lana songs, and many of them I listen to regularly, but it's like we all forgot Ultraviolence has some songs that aren't rock-based at all and also has other sounds that branch out a lot more. There is so much focus on making a song sound like rock and calling it an Ultraviolence Version, but no one is noticing the soft jazz, the vintage sounds, the piano and the strings as the part that is distinctly Lana. In fact, the album sounding too "classic rock" is exactly what Dan Auerbach said was wrong with the original record before he produced it.

I absolutely get that rock is probably easier for amateur musicians to do on their computers, but yeah, I still kinda see it as making Ultraviolence more shallow than it is. It's such a complex album, I'm always searching for more and never being satisfied!

2 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Don't get me wrong, I love all the channels making "Ultraviolence" versions of other Lana songs, and many of them I listen to regularly, but it's like we all forgot Ultraviolence has some songs that aren't rock-based at all and also has other sounds that branch out a lot more. There is so much focus on making a song sound like rock and calling it an Ultraviolence Version, but no one is noticing the soft jazz, the vintage sounds, the piano and the strings as the part that is distinctly Lana. In fact, the album sounding too "classic rock" is exactly what Dan Auerbach said was wrong with the original record before he produced it.

I absolutely get that rock is probably easier for amateur musicians to do on their computers, but yeah, I still kinda see it as making Ultraviolence more shallow than it is. It's such a complex album, I'm always searching for more and never being satisfied!

I think the rock sound is what was so distinct and adored about Ultraviolence though that's why it's the sound people use when making those reworks. Compared to the less rocky songs that sounded more familiar at the time

13 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

This is so true. As an album by a pop artist, the world still hasn't caught up with how monumental Ultraviolence was/is.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

19 minutes ago, honey dew said:

I think the rock sound is what was so distinct and adored about Ultraviolence though that's why it's the sound people use when making those reworks. Compared to the less rocky songs that sounded more familiar at the time

I mean yeah definitely, people loved the rock sound as it hadn't really been done before by Lana, and also wasn't popular at the time.

I just find it funny when I click on an "Ultraviolence Version" of a song and it's a blaring, droning electric guitar for the whole song. Literally zero songs on Ultraviolence sound like that and I think the only demo that did was a part of Your Girl :toofunny: Still makes for a good remix tho, and I like imagining heavy live versions like that.

I actually LOVE Life Lesson and listen to it a lot. I just love the melody the lyrics and the peaceful vibe. Very happy she gave it to us but I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, Ultra Violet said:

Exactly, there was a fanmade heavy metal version of Heroin in YT and all the comments there were like "omfg Ultraviolence vibes" and I'm like bitch where? 

Ultraviolence was never rock rock, like hard rock or something like that. It's like alternative rock, indie rock, blues rock, jazz rock, psychedelic rock, desert rock, dream rock and perhaps baroque rock. It has electric guitars which is a common element in rock music but it sounds much more unique than in regular rock songs. Same with drums, the drums are more slow and hazier dreamier on UV. Also there are other elements which aren't that common in ordinary rock songs like strings, orchestra and also there are a lot of acoustic instrumentals too like acoustic guitar or piano. But I once saw a random band calling Ultraviolence as their insipiration and calling it a pop album...for me it's a definitely an insult to the album, it's definitely not a pop album. But I wouldn't really call it a traditional rock album too. More like rock subgenres and of course alternative.

I don't think that NFR album is rock too but it represents the rock subgenres: alternative rock, indie rock, soft rock, folk rock, psychedelic rock and maybe classic rock too.

url%5D

1 hour ago, Embach said:

Exactly, there was a fanmade heavy metal version of Heroin in YT and all the comments there were like "omfg Ultraviolence vibes" and I'm like bitch where? 

Ultraviolence was never rock rock, like hard rock or something like that. It's like alternative rock, indie rock, blues rock, jazz rock, psychedelic rock, desert rock, dream rock and perhaps baroque rock. It has electric guitars which is a common element in rock music but it sounds much more unique than in regular rock songs. Same with drums, the drums are more slow and hazier dreamier on UV. Also there are other elements which aren't that common in ordinary rock songs like strings, orchestra and also there are a lot of acoustic instrumentals too like acoustic guitar or piano. But I once saw a random band calling Ultraviolence as their insipiration and calling it a pop album...for me it's a definitely an insult to the album, it's definitely not a pop album. But I wouldn't really call it a traditional rock album too. More like rock subgenres and of course alternative.

I don't think that NFR album is rock too but it represents the rock subgenres: alternative rock, indie rock, soft rock, folk rock, psychedelic rock and maybe classic rock too.

These words, yes ! :illumilana2:

And yeah I have definitely heard that Heroin fan made mix. I still like to hear them and pretend Lana has done the heavier rock/metal sound, but that is not at all Ultraviolence.

Meanwhile, some channels do pretty accurate "Born To Die", "Paradise" and "NFR" versions, and even some "Honeymoon" versions. Those often pleasantly surprise me. I must say, NFR is the most easy and basic to do. But when someone pulls off a Honeymoon version I am like WOW, major respect!

I don't know how unpopular this is cause I've seen mixed reactions all over the internet but I don't like the new tour at all :crying5:

I love her looks, vocals are amazing and she's so happy so I'm happy for her but all the dancers doing random shit on stage takes me out of it :hide:

She said it helps her confidence so at the end of the day I'm glad for her but I really miss the earlier tours when it was just her doing her random mini dances, the sexy drops and the walks around the stage without any planning. 

I guess it made every single show a bit more special cause you didn't know what to expect from her and now it's all more choreographed and such

I get why some people would prefer this type of show tho 

giphy.gif

1. i don't like the majority of her piano songs but Suburban House is so good :cryney2:

2. Lana del ray aka lizzy grant is my fav album ever 

3. Honeymoon live version is better than the original 

4. For K part 2 is one of her best song ever

Lana fans hating Nikki Lane is funny not gonna lie :ma: what's especially funny is when the haters get scared when they see Lana with her and are afraid that she's going to do country music, like...you don't know Lana at all? :troll:

url%5D

I don’t understand why everyone thinks she’s saying “chickens running bare feet” it’s so completely obvious she’s listing 3 different things. Chickens, running bare feet, there’s a baby on the way. I don’t know if you all are joking or if you actually think she’s saying the chickens are barefoot LOLL 

6 hours ago, Stoned Mary in the Garden said:

I don’t understand why everyone thinks she’s saying “chickens running bare feet” it’s so completely obvious she’s listing 3 different things. Chickens, running bare feet, there’s a baby on the way. I don’t know if you all are joking or if you actually think she’s saying the chickens are barefoot LOLL 

well lets just agree to disagree :azealia:

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

i've said this before but my unpopular opinion currently is that i'm fine with a longer wait for the next album; ocean blvd was a truly incredible record with a pretty fulfilling era (by lana standards at least!) so i'm quite okay with waiting over a year for the next album! *especially* if it means the album will be outstanding, put together well and part of a bigger era with a few music videos, a full tour with an updated setlist, some lovely photoshoots, etc.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

3 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

were they supposed to be vampires or werewolves in the chemtrails video?

pretty sure it was werewolves, or at least women strongly bonded with nature. the fangs were supposed to be wolf fangs 

violets in your eyes

On 10/21/2023 at 12:40 PM, Embach said:

Lana fans hating Nikki Lane is funny not gonna lie :ma: what's especially funny is when the haters get scared when they see Lana with her and are afraid that she's going to do country music, like...you don't know Lana at all? :troll:

i respect their friendship but nikki’s voice is not for me at all 😭