lola

Taylor Swift

It's undeniable that her impact has been colossal this year. But it makes it all the more bittersweet when you realise how much she could advocate for but refuses to speak out. Between her silence on Palestine, her association with people like Matty Healy and  Brittany Mahomes, carbon emissions, the 'ethical' billionaire stuff and more, it kinda sucks. Not saying she doesn't deserve Person of the Year or that it should have gone to someone else, but she wields a massive amount of influence, and all she can talk about is drama from 7 years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I think Taylor has also done a lot of good in the world, and I've enjoyed getting into some of her music this year. And I don't think it's. necessarily right to hold her up on some kind of moral pedestal, she's a pop singer at the end of the day. And obviously in an ideal world, we'd turn away from celebrities being the mouthpieces on sociopolitical topics.

guys the first paragraph of Wikipedia says:

Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999) is an annual issue of the American news magazine and website Time featuring a person, a group, idea, or object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

that’s why donald trump was their person in 2016 and hitler in 1938. it was ‘the spirit of Ukraine’ in 2022 and the me too movement in 2017. i’m pretty neutral on taylor swift, but you can’t deny that’s you literally could not escape her this year which is likely why she was picked. (though I agree with what @bluevelvetcola has said)

4 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

guys the first paragraph of Wikipedia says:

Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999) is an annual issue of the American news magazine and website Time featuring a person, a group, idea, or object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

that’s why donald trump was their person in 2016 and hitler in 1938. it was ‘the spirit of Ukraine’ in 2022 and the me too movement in 2017. i’m pretty neutral on taylor swift, but you can’t deny that’s you literally could not escape her this year which is likely why she was picked. (though palestine would have been my choice over TS.)

netanyahu, for *worse* of course, has done more since October to influence the events of the year than Taylor has done all of 2023. Invasion, war, genocide, ethnic cleansing, disrupting the global political landscape, pushing the world closer to a global war catastrophe etc etc etc!

i doubt that would’ve sold many copies though. Go figure

just one possible example though

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

she's dropping so many hints for rep tv coming soon but i am just not feeling the hype. i'm tired of these rerecording rollouts  :toofunny:  i really want her to drop the last two, break her records and be over with it

you've got a thunderbird

10 hours ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

netanyahu, for *worse* of course, has done more since October to influence the events of the year than Taylor has done all of 2023. Invasion, war, genocide, ethnic cleansing, disrupting the global political landscape, pushing the world closer to a global war catastrophe etc etc etc!

i doubt that would’ve sold many copies though. Go figure

just one possible example though

either way, i don't think time would've picked anything to do with palestine, as i'm pretty sure the owner supports israel. however, from what i've heard, time picks the person of the year in september, and palestine/israel hasn't been in headlines until october. and yes, i know this war has been going on for a long time but it was not being talked about nearly as much by the gp this year until october. 

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

58 minutes ago, ts2003 said:

Why are we talking about Palestine Vs Israel in the Taylor thread.

because people think taylor swift can somehow fix every world issue/ needs to make a statement about everything while simultaneously criticizing her for only understanding superficial level politics

taylor is never going to win in this department because 99% of the people who "call her out" on these sorts of things don't even actually care and just don't like her and want a reason to come into this thread and write their think pieces. and i know this is true because everyone's fave on this website has only shown israel support throughout this whole thing and yet we defend her:shrug:

i support freeing palestine and it would be great for taylor to speak up about it, but i don't go to popstars or magazines for my politics so i'm not expecting a statement, the same goes for lana

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・