lola

Taylor Swift

14 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

and Lord with an E did it better too let’s be real :D She might be highly obnoxious but Melodrama wipes the floor with MIDnights (so does 1989)

Not to mention Lorde’s abilities as a songwriter. It’s truly staggering that a 16 year old Lorde was able to write a whole album about growing up as a teenager who feels more radical, mature and forward-thinking than 33 year old Taylor Swift reminiscing about past relationships and revenge-fueled fantasies.

Which leads me to another point: why exactly is Taylor Swift perceived as one of the greatest songwriters working today? Sure, she’s capable of storytelling greatness and even poetry as proved by Folkmore but a crushing majority of what exists before those albums + Midnights is quite… average songwriting - even redundant at times. The songs structures are very much similar to one another, the metaphors she uses are often compared to Lana’s because a lot of times she does sound like she’s been studying Lana for a long time and also wants to dive into summoning contemplative, evocative Americana symbolism but is that really enough to label someone as one of the greatest songwriters of our time? Even melodically speaking, she’s come to a point where her melodies are starting to blend into one another, with several Midnights tracks resembling others from previous albums, uncannily so.

Now I don’t want to sound like a Taylor Swift hater even though it might be too late for that and I truly feel like she was misrepresented and mistreated by the media for years - it was nice to see her blossom into her Folkmore era where it was all about the music and nothing else. However it does feel obligatory to start questioning these labels we throw at people based on their merit at their peak moments/projects when they might not be progressing as one would expect from someone so highly perceived and admired as her for something she’s clearly lacking or showing flaws at.

Sometimes I feel like all the hatred and unfair vitriol that was directed at Taylor and the way she overcame that kind of prevents people from rightfully criticizing her (from a place of genuine respect and love for music) or questioning her lyrical prowess when she’s showed time and time again she’s a very uneven songwriter.

IMG-7960.jpg

1 hour ago, Sportscruiser said:

Not to mention Lorde’s abilities as a songwriter. It’s truly staggering that a 16 year old Lorde was able to write a whole album about growing up as a teenager who feels more radical, mature and forward-thinking than 33 year old Taylor Swift reminiscing about past relationships and revenge-fueled fantasies.

Which leads me to another point: why exactly is Taylor Swift perceived as one of the greatest songwriters working today? Sure, she’s capable of storytelling greatness and even poetry as proved by Folkmore but a crushing majority of what exists before those albums + Midnights is quite… average songwriting - even redundant at times. The songs structures are very much similar to one another, the metaphors she uses are often compared to Lana’s because a lot of times she does sound like she’s been studying Lana for a long time and also wants to dive into summoning contemplative, evocative Americana symbolism but is that really enough to label someone as one of the greatest songwriters of our time? Even melodically speaking, she’s come to a point where her melodies are starting to blend into one another, with several Midnights tracks resembling others from previous albums, uncannily so

Fr Melodrama and even Pure Heroine (considering her very young age back then) are excellent both sonically and lyrically, and miles ahead of what Taylor thinks she’s doing. 

On the topic of why everyone sees her as a god now is more than perplexing since, as you say, the material’s just not there i’m sawry :worship:

She can write good songs and she’s good at making very catchy music/melodies but literally that’s it. When you see threads being made asking if children will study her in 100+ years like they do with Beethoven, Bach and Tchaikovsky you just pause and ask yourself if swifties live in another reality/dimension or are just in dire need of new meds…

She’s an okay songwriter, way below average singer and that’s literally it. Even as a performer everyone from Beyoncé and Gaga to Janet, Madonna and yes even Katy (on a good day) eat her alive in the stage department. I’ll never understand how nor why she’s viewed as some kinda musical genius when her best works are just cliché Lana Del Rey imitations :noparty:

4 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

This one?

Midnights_Blood_Moon_Alt_Edit.png

This is amazing, thanks a lot! I might use that one instead

I was looking for this one, probably mistook the name tho:

New Limited Edition Vinyl and CD collection up on the merch store,  available this week only : r/TaylorSwift

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

3 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

New Limited Edition Vinyl and CD collection up on the merch store,  available this week only : r/TaylorSwift

LOVE this one. lmk if you find it so i can change mine too fjdjdjdj

7 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

This is amazing! I might use that one instead

Oh..

I have these too

Midnights_Mahogany_Alt_Edit.png

Midnights_Jade_Green_Alt_Edit.png
I don’t even listen to Taylor so idk the names :creepna:

9 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/taylor-swift/images/a/ab/MidnightsMahogany.JPEG/revision/latest?cb=20221008062840

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

I had a 2nd listen after a very underwhelming first listen, now with a clear mind and embracing the synth pop sound an I honestly really liked it! There's a few tracks that I kinda dislike, and now listening to the 3 AM tracks this album could've been way better than what the standard sets it up to be

8nl2OpX.png