lola

Taylor Swift

On 8/6/2013 at 8:58 AM, fruitpunchlips said:

I hope she'll either re-release Red or release an EP towards the end of the year. Apparently she did a lot of collaborations that didn't make it onto this record and I need some new stuff from her 'cause I'm already bored with this one  :makeup:

omg manifested

5 minutes ago, The Siren said:

why must everyone compare every synthpop album to fucking melodrama? melodrama was not any good to begin with :godlaugh:

Because Melodrama is a modern synth pop masterpiece, is like talking about synth pop and not talking about Robyn

8nl2OpX.png

8 minutes ago, The Siren said:

why must everyone compare every synthpop album to fucking melodrama? melodrama was not any good to begin with :godlaugh:

Had me in the first half 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

I’m gonna do a deep dive into the lyrics of the album, and play it louder so I can fully immerse myself into it… but right now it’s probably one of my least favourite Taylor albums. It’s just a bit weird for her, it’s not what I was expecting and it’s hard for me to get into at the moment. It’s not necessarily bad, but it’s just a new direction for her that’s quite jarring at first.

My current Taylor ranking:

1. Red (not Taylor’s Version… but that’s a discussion for another post :creep:)

2. 1989

3. folklore

4. evermore

5. Fearless

6. Speak Now

7. reputation

8. Lover

9. Taylor Swift 

10. Midnights 

Subject to change of course :popcorn: 

My favourite tracks on first three listens are:

• Lavender Haze

• You’re On Your Own, Kid

• Bejeweled

• The Great War

• Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

1 hour ago, Glitter Boy said:

Did this quickie remake lol hope it will do for now

taylor-swift-midnights-mahogany-hq-remak

I would love someone forever if they made ones for the 3AM tracklist

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

42 minutes ago, The Siren said:

Because in this case both albums share the same producer and the soundscape is very similar?

IMG-7960.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

Because in this case both albums share the same producer and the soundscape is very similar?

its not just this album tho. almost every pop album is compared to melodrama

1 minute ago, ChaoticLipster said:

So the ‘crazy surprise’ was her releasing a deluxe version of the album….okaay

Well it was really unexpected,

plus it’s 7 tracks, some produced by Aaron Dressner. Imagine if Lana, during UV era, had dropped the album… and put out 8 scrapped tracks like Your Girl, Fine China and Fucking Yes to Heaven, a day later or on release day. We would have lost our minds. 

21 minutes ago, Cherry Blossom said:

I’m gonna do a deep dive into the lyrics of the album, and play it louder so I can fully immerse myself into it… but right now it’s probably one of my least favourite Taylor albums. It’s just a bit weird for her, it’s not what I was expecting and it’s hard for me to get into at the moment. It’s not necessarily bad, but it’s just a new direction for her that’s quite jarring at first.

My current Taylor ranking:

1. Red (not Taylor’s Version… but that’s a discussion for another post :creep:)

2. 1989

3. folklore

4. evermore

5. Fearless

6. Speak Now

7. reputation

8. Lover

9. Taylor Swift 

10. Midnights 

Subject to change of course :popcorn: 

My favourite tracks on first three listens are:

• Lavender Haze

• You’re On Your Own, Kid

• Bejeweled

• The Great War

• Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve

fearless and eversnore aka deflated folklore or folklore: the b sides or folklore (expanded deluxe edition) are WAYYYY too high on this list.

2 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

Not to mention Lorde’s abilities as a songwriter. It’s truly staggering that a 16 year old Lorde was able to write a whole album about growing up as a teenager who feels more radical, mature and forward-thinking than 33 year old Taylor Swift reminiscing about past relationships and revenge-fueled fantasies.

Which leads me to another point: why exactly is Taylor Swift perceived as one of the greatest songwriters working today? Sure, she’s capable of storytelling greatness and even poetry as proved by Folkmore but a crushing majority of what exists before those albums + Midnights is quite… average songwriting - even redundant at times. The songs structures are very much similar to one another, the metaphors she uses are often compared to Lana’s because a lot of times she does sound like she’s been studying Lana for a long time and also wants to dive into summoning contemplative, evocative Americana symbolism but is that really enough to label someone as one of the greatest songwriters of our time? Even melodically speaking, she’s come to a point where her melodies are starting to blend into one another, with several Midnights tracks resembling others from previous albums, uncannily so.

Now I don’t want to sound like a Taylor Swift hater even though it might be too late for that and I truly feel like she was misrepresented and mistreated by the media for years - it was nice to see her blossom into her Folkmore era where it was all about the music and nothing else. However it does feel obligatory to start questioning these labels we throw at people based on their merit at their peak moments/projects when they might not be progressing as one would expect from someone so highly perceived and admired as her for something she’s clearly lacking or showing flaws at.

Sometimes I feel like all the hatred and unfair vitriol that was directed at Taylor and the way she overcame that kind of prevents people from rightfully criticizing her (from a place of genuine respect and love for music) or questioning her lyrical prowess when she’s showed time and time again she’s a very uneven songwriter.

Agree completely. Outside of folklore (and a lot of evermore, but a little less so), her songwriting is overrated to me. Don't get me wrong, she's good, but the blind god complex that people have built for her in recent years is strange and I feel its mainly rooted in the fact that she's very good at writing songs that are accessible to a wide range of demographics and tastes. That's a talent in itself, but the actual quality is often exaggerated. folklore was the first time I felt she was deserving of the overwhelming praise she gets.

I like the album. I need more time with it but it is better than Lover. Snow on the Beach was a let down for Lana but it’s cute and fits in with the rest. I’m really loving Carly’s new album though 

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Lady [to Laura]: “When this kind of fire starts, it is 
very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”