lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

1 hour ago, annedauphine said:

I'm thinking about UV again. I think the first Lana song that I ever listened to that was not VG or SS, was the leak on Tumblr of Old Money. Legendary. The only reason I got into Lana in the first place is cause I was so into this twink that had some CocoRosie lyrics tattoo on one arm (I remember it was "honey and tar") and Lana lyrics tattoo on the other. And he got me rly curious about this person he was so into. Ah man I hope he's doing well wherever he is. Anyway he was the one who shared the UV leak. The first non BTD Lana song I ever had on one of my devices was Sad Girl and I was obsessed w it but if I scratch the bottom of my head, I really do think Money Power Glory is the one song that made me stan Lana. It was like opening the door to a new universe of delights. I love this song. I was just listening to the demo and it fascinates me to see the evolution. I know a lot of people aren't into it but it just... It feels right for me if that makes sense, this song's melody just feels right. Even if SK is the Lana song I've ever loved the most, MPG is often the song that rings in my head when I think of why I love Lana.

Sorry this isn't very interesting but I just felt like putting this out :) MPG means a shitload to me, and this record in general. I'm glad I have its name tattooed over the heart.

Ngl reading this made me really happy  somehow:flutter: I feel a similiar way about it as you do. When I became a Lana fan it was one of my favourite songs ever , I was obsessed with the Carcassonne live performance & still MPG is one of my faves from UV & it means alot to me, every time I hear it , it reminds of the old times & why I fell in love with her music :wowcry:

And what a beautiful story of how you got into Lana :oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

today i was listening to Ultraviolence, and i have to say it has to be the most unique album lyrically and musically wise, it also brings back memories, oh the memories.

Life when i first listened to UV, wasn't good, and  i was in the midst of a bad breakup. Needless to say i was listening to UV ALOT to the point where my spotify wrapped placed me in the top .1% of all lana del rey listeners.

It's so hard to pick my favorite, as they are so good. But if i had to choose, Black Beauty would be my pick, with The Other Woman and Is this happiness? as a very close second. 

If i had known that ITH, was actually on the album i would've listened to it alot more.

But anyways i'm glad that the next album had a much brighter and livelier vibe than this album which felt very melancholy and you could feel the sadness ooze out from every word.

I may never stop talking about the different track mixes in UV, but I've been listening to the West Coast mixes in more depth lately and am still finding extra hidden things! 

In the Early mix, there's a background guitar riff missing (either missing or just so quiet I can't pick it out) from the bridges that I can pick up in the Album and Rob Orton mixes.

Even in the Radio mix/demo, there's so much background complexity to the production. I can't believe I used to think of that track as "acoustic" and "basic". It's a masterpiece and I wish we got a a better mastered version.

Ultraviolence (2014)

1. Black Beauty - 10/10
2. Pretty When You Cry - 10/10
3. West Coast - 10/10

4. Brooklyn Baby - 9.5/10
5. Cruel World - 9/10
6. Shades of Cool - 9/10

7. Sad Girl - 9/10
8. Ultraviolence - 8.5/10

9. Is This Happiness - 8.5/10
10. Old Money - 8.5/10

11. Florida Kilos - 8/10
12. Flipside - 8/10

13. Money Power Glory - 7.5/10
14. Guns and Roses - 7.5/10
15. The Other Woman - 7/10

16. Fucked My Way Up to the Top - 7/10

Overall: 9/10 - 2nd Favorite Album

favorite moments: black beauty beat drop, pretty when you cry bridge, west coast outro synths, brooklyn baby guy's vocals, shades of cool guitar solo

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

8 hours ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

This and Chemtrails might solely be the Lana albums that radiates fall/winter… first five song from ultra + chem title track feels summery but the rest of it calls for a colder environment in time…

blue banisters is THE fall album

and BB has UV outtakes

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

2 hours ago, ivory almond said:

blue banisters is THE fall album

and BB has UV outtakes

I’d have to disagree… bb feels summery to me honestly but i can see to what degree that people would classify it as such

but even the uv outtakes excluding living legend feels summery to me!… tropico/most 2013 uv outtakes radiates pure summer to me : )

Great article about Ultraviolence in celebration of the album returning to the 10 in the UK. :party:

UK Official Charts: Why Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence feels more relevant than ever

Lana's masterful second album is a bold and bruised magnum opus that redefined the trajectory of her career. Now does seem a fitting time to pay tribute to Ultraviolence and everything it's done for Lana's career. Namely, that it helped redefine her public image and, for the most part, her sonic identity as an artist, paving a road that ultimately lead to Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd.

1. Ultraviolence was a necessary pivot away from the well-defined aesthetic of Born To Die

To put it quite simply, Lana Del Rey's debut album Born To Die is probably the most influential LP in pop music over the last 10 years. One of the best things about Born To Die was that it made Lana Del Rey an instantly recognisable star with very easy to spot references both visually and musically.

One of the most difficult things to rectify post the album release, however, was that Born To Die made Lana Del Rey an instantly recognisable star with very easy-to-spot references both visually and musically. Lana quickly tapped into the secret of stepping out of Born To Die's shadow...she pivoted away from everything that had made it so great in the first place. While Born To Die is a mostly chamber-pop record, Ultraviolence veers into psychedelic rock and at points even grunge territory. It's a much harder record, both sonically and lyrically. It's a record full of contradictions that rub up against each other and spark as a result; doe-eyed love songs that carry a heavy undercurrent of violence and trauma (Ultraviolence), dedication that turn so easily into obsession and control (Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool). 

2. Born To Die set Lana up as a pop star - Ultraviolence burns that possibility to the ground and salts the earth

Lana Del Rey never seemed content to act as a stereotypical pop star. Even thought that was never her MO (even her biggest hit in the UK, the Cedric Gervais remix of Summertime Sadness, was created without her permission), it was perhaps easier for critics and fans at the time to call Lana a pop star.

But that came with its downfalls too, as it was then much easier to try and fit Lana into the pop star mould, and begin to pick her apart when she inevitably failed to fit into these defined boundaries. So much chatter around Born To Die came to Lana's own autonomy in her work. Ultraviolence, both in content and context, is a direct response to those critics. It's a Lana Del Rey album where the construct and persona of Lana Del Rey is slowly stripped away.  It was a change so shocking and so needed, it could have only happened on an artist's second album, when all bets should be off and caution thrown to the wind. 

3. Everything that made critics sit up and take notice of Lana on Norman F*cking Rockwell! was already present on Ultraviolence

It's now more or less agreed that Lana is one of the most talented songwriters of her generation. This title, never in doubt by fans, was initially bestowed upon her by the critics and press during the cycle for her breezy and authoritative sixth album Norman F*cking Rockwell! (another UK Number 1), which in many ways acts as a sister record to Ultraviolence. 

But everything that critics found so enticing about NFR! - its California-centric production, its lyrics that both decried the world and sought for a way to find harmony and peace amidst the chaos - were actually already present in Ultraviolence, but maybe people weren't ready to hear it yet. 

But that has, really, been the MO of Lana's entire career. She has always been a generation-defining talent, just look at Video Games, or National Anthem. The material has always been there, the material has always been good (she hasn't claimed six UK Number 1 albums for nothing!) but circumstances outside of Lana's control always seemed to hinder her getting the respect she rightfully, truly deserved.

Read the full article here: https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/why-lana-del-reys-ultraviolence-feels-more-relevant-than-ever/

Ultraviolence world domination, I'm so glad that it's 7th in the UK official album charts, that's just so amazing, British people never fail with good taste in music :defeated:

url%5D

On 9/3/2023 at 1:52 AM, Candy Necklace said:

half of UV is summer and the other half is mid-late Winter like late January-February 

Yes!

Ultraviolence was released during winter in my part of the world, so that + the b&w imagery made many of the songs feel so wintery to me. Especially songs like FMWUTTT, Old Money, Black Beauty and Is This Happiness.

But then most of the other songs make most sense in the summer. Cruel World is my go-to summer song because I love it so much it makes me forget how awfully hot it is.

1 hour ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

High-key need a Artpop 10 year anniversary style mass leak for the Ultraviolence 10 year anniversary:crying5:

i’m positive to get the whole pack of rick nowels sessions for ultraviolence (october-november sessions) and 5 neil krug outtakes for that anniversary:true: at minimum i want the rest Dan Auerbach sessions - Pretty Hwn You Cry, Guns and Roses and I Talk to Jesus DA versions

after those we are pretty much left with those songs known from the sessions, 100% of them are grails…

1. angels forever final

2. i talk to jesus 2 final mixes

3. i can fly and lie down ogs

4. hollywood reworked version (the grail that u are)

5. the other side

i hope we will have had at least i can fly og version and the other side by the anniversary

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

12 hours ago, lanaismamom said:

i’m positive to get the whole pack of rick nowels sessions for ultraviolence (october-november sessions) and 5 neil krug outtakes for that anniversary:true: at minimum i want the rest Dan Auerbach sessions - Pretty Hwn You Cry, Guns and Roses and I Talk to Jesus DA versions

after those we are pretty much left with those songs known from the sessions, 100% of them are grails…

1. angels forever final

2. i talk to jesus 2 final mixes

3. i can fly and lie down ogs

4. hollywood reworked version (the grail that u are)

5. the other side

i hope we will have had at least i can fly og version and the other side by the anniversary

Don't forget "Preacher" and the "Fake Rolex" thingy too

url%5D