lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

not sure if this deserves its own thread but here's blake talking about working with lana and a bit of ultraviolence era: https://www.guitarworld.com/features/blake-lee-lana-del-rey

Down the line, you played a big role in the writing and recording of Cruel World from Ultraviolence. How did that track come together?

"We were at Electric Lady Studios working on the Ultraviolence record – a dream come true and still one of the highlights of my life. I had recently bought a reverb pedal, and I showed it to Lana in the studio, and she was like, 'Oh, we need that.' There was magic in those studio walls, though, and when it came to the Cruel World riff, I plugged into the 100-watt Marshall that was there, and the riff just came out within 10 seconds. 

"I was drawn to it, and Lana began freestyling over it. And luckily, everything was still hooked up to record as we'd been packing up. We ended up doing it in one or two takes, and then Dan Auerbach went on to produce that song. We also recorded Guns and Roses there and ended up recording Flipside back in L.A.."

Was your experience putting together Pretty When You Cry similar gear and inspiration-wise?

"With that one, I was trying to make the most of being at Electric Lady. So, I showed up earlier than Lana did with the engineer, Phil Joly. I wanted to play guitar in that big live room and enjoy the space. And while I was doing that, Lana walked in with a coffee, and she immediately heard something that I was doing, grabbed the microphone, and went into the control room. 

"We jammed and recorded the structure, and the basis of Pretty When You Cry came together in one or two takes. Lana is a very prolific writer, and I've never really worked with anyone who does it the same and as effortlessly as she does."

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

I was randomly checking "Ultraviolence"'s producers on Spotify, then I cheked on TIDAL and on "Fucked My Way Up to the Top" EMILE HAYNIE is listed as a producer. Then I checked on the wiki and it's there, lol. Since when were you aware of this information?! I was today years old.

7 hours ago, americangothic said:

I was randomly checking "Ultraviolence"'s producers on Spotify, then I cheked on TIDAL and on "Fucked My Way Up to the Top" EMILE HAYNIE is listed as a producer. Then I checked on the wiki and it's there, lol. Since when were you aware of this information?! I was today years old.

When Y&B was submitted to the Oscars, it was said that Emile Haynie was the co-producer of the song too even though he didn't according to other websites. Probably a glitch I guess...

I'm interested in Emile Haynie UV outtakes if we're talking about him now :raven: Wait For Life is amazing, they definitely did more songs than this one

url%5D

The album deserved something, not like Paradise edition, where it has its own aesthetic and sound while being a deluxe thing, but a separate second disc with 10 outtakes, because if you look, the album nearly had 7 bonus tracks (Black Beauty, Guns and Roses, Florida Kilos, Is This Happiness, Flipside, Your Girl, Fine China), plus to it final version of I Talk to Jesus, Yes to Heaven (just beacuse this song purely belongs to this era) and another one outtake (Living Legend, If You Lie Down with Me, or I Can Fly), and it would've made a perfect addition, since she didn't want to mess up the 11-tracks album concept, those sessions just should've been heard

With that i wonder if she ever finalized Pink Champagne, but although it's one of my favorite songs of hers, I dont really think she wanted to put the track back then, it seems just very rough and intimate and that one track to pour out feelings, it's really heavy and huge, like a whole separate completed story, plus I think Black Beauty is really the best "alternative" for this tremendous sound that we lost when Pink Champagne was scrapped, and yet we still have it since 10 years so it's definitely a win win, but I think there are reasons why such a beautiful track was left on the cutting room floor

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

15 minutes ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

I knew this day would come :brigitte:

edit: he's still wrong tho :brigitte:

I agreed with him up until her started talking about her not addressing sexism and misogyny of years past. I don’t get why it is so hard for people to accept that she didn’t want to do that and that wasn’t her goal. She just wrote about her experiences and turned them into these dramatic stories using old references. She wasn’t trying to tear down the patriarchy or anything lol. 

I do think there are a lot of lyrical missed opportunities on this record, like with Sad Girl. The concept is strong but she just didn’t take it there 

7 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

I agreed with him up until her started talking about her not addressing sexism and misogyny of years past. I don’t get why it is so hard for people to accept that she didn’t want to do that and that wasn’t her goal. She just wrote about her experiences and turned them into these dramatic stories using old references. She wasn’t trying to tear down the patriarchy or anything lol. 

I do think there are a lot of lyrical missed opportunities on this record, like with Sad Girl. The concept is strong but she just didn’t take it there 

him saying what she should have done with the title track lyrics was the worst part for me tbh. you're a man stfu :brigitte: (fantano, not you)

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

14 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

didn't he say something similar about born to die when he revisited it? about how it's not as bad as he originally said it was, still not a good example for girls and women? i don't believe men can't have any sort of say or opinion regarding subjects revolving women/feminism/etc., but i feel like it shouldn't be his place to say whether or not it's wrong or backwards for her to express herself in a different sort of way, or one that may be viewed as alternative, controversial, or boundary-pushing, and not everything necessarily HAS to be empowering or within today's version of feminism, women shouldn't have to feel obligated to be the leading face of feminism and women empowerment constantly, her self-expression and perspective were and still are valid and shouldn't be shut down because they could be considered polarizing or controversial

and i know people can grow and change, but fantano originally giving it a rating of TWO was ridiculous, if a man had made the same album i'm sure the reception would've been different

i just think progressive men should still be aware that women who have different perspectives on certain subject matters should still be listened to and considered, as long as they're not somebody like justpearlythings or something like that, womanhood can be so complex and complicated, there's just so much nuance to so many different things and we have to remember that

WGe8ynS.gif

2 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

It's always great when a fella tells a woman how she should be a better feminist. (I haven't watched it, and probably won't, but seeing as he clearly didn't listen to the album the first time around, then fuck him).

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

A man telling a woman how to express her past experiences on being a woman and existing in today’s society or her own femininity is just- :brigitte:

i always believed and still believe that he was most of the times unjustifiably harsh on her and imo projected some form of misogynistic opinions on her work ( maybe even subconsciously ). 

And he was one of the many critics who perpetuated the idea that she wasn’t talented earlier in her career. 

Edited by Deadly Nightshade

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

Anyone who takes these incel-minded YouTube critics seriously (Anthony Fantano, Brad Taste in Music, etc)―especially those who don't have minds of their own and just base their tastes off whatever the pretentious "critics" like and whatever's popular on RYM/AOTY.org―are absolute losers

:lmao:

We need to stop giving them the time of day. If you watch either of their content (and similar creators), you're getting a side-eye from me

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

19 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

Alsooo there’s plenty of music made by men being misogynistic and gross yet noone says anything about it ruining their music. So why does that only apply when the roles are switched to Lana :seeit: 

His review screams misogyny & he frankly just doesn’t get it. Just because music isn’t for you doesn’t mean it’s bad. It’s like he’s missing the whole point. Also artists are not required social justice activists. Women are allowed to express their feelings and experiences through art even the ugly parts & idk why that’s such a bad thing. I truly believe Lana’s music is the epitome of the girls that get it, get it and the girls that don’t, don’t. :hottie:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

30 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Anyone who takes these incel-minded YouTube critics seriously (Anthony Fantano, Brad Taste in Music, etc)―especially those who don't have minds of their own and just base their tastes off whatever the pretentious "critics" like and whatever's popular on RYM/AOTY.org―are absolute losers

:lmao:

We need to stop giving them the time of day. If you watch either of their content (and similar creators), you're getting a side-eye from me

Fantano is mostly a great critic. He doesn't follow what major publications are doing. 'The Record' isn't even on his top 50 albums of the year, while Ocean Blvd is top 10.

10 minutes ago, shadesofblue said:

Alsooo there’s plenty of music made by men being misogynistic and gross yet noone says anything about it ruining their music. So why does that only apply when the roles are switched to Lana :seeit: 

His review screams misogyny & he frankly just doesn’t get it. Just because music isn’t for you doesn’t mean it’s bad. It’s like he’s missing the whole point. Also artists are not required social justice activists. Women are allowed to express their feelings and experiences through art even the ugly parts & idk why that’s such a bad thing. I truly believe Lana’s music is the epitome of the girls that get it, get it and the girls that don’t, don’t. :hottie:

can’t agree w this more. a big part of lanas success is her relatability to predominantly women, if her message had always been the more palatable one it would have left many of us lonely and even more vulnerable! her music helps people, dancing around these topics does not

criticising lana herself instead of men in her life or hollywood or drugs says a lot more about these shallow pricks than they even realise. they’ll probably realise this basic empathy when they have a psychedelic experience bc their brain can’t comprehend it on their own

giphy.gif