lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

Happy bday to one of Lana’s best. 

You came at the exact time I needed you (thanks, nasty breakup). 

I vividly remember my thoughts the first time I listened to you:

the goosebumps while listening to the chorus of Cruel World, the feeling I was listening to an old and unknown vinyl by a forgotten 70s singer, « that girl is gonna die with a needle in her arm before she turns 40 if everything she says on this is true », « Money Power Glory has to be cynically sarcastic », « Old Money is so incredible », « Sad Girl sounds like she is the heroine of a noir movie », « oh that bridge on Pretty When You Cry!!!! Wow! I’m stronger than all my men except for you - bitch I can relate »

Ultraviolence, you are so iconic. 

Timeless album. I remember listening to the album track teaser on repeat and going out of my way to bike past the Ultraviolence billboard in Brooklyn.
Lana wailing over the electric guitars in Shades of Cool will forever be a favorite. Not to mention the hair flip in the music video that ended me and set the mood for my Fire Island summer goals 

happy birthday to the album with lana’s best 5 track run of all time, this truly cannot be topped.

IMG-4339.jpg

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

I'm not good in birthday wishes but this one from an ai is so funny :omfg2: 

'Hey there, Ultraviolence! It's your 9th birthday, and we just can't help but chuckle at how you've "F****d Your Way Up to the Top" of our playlists over the years. You've been the "Sad Girl" soundtrack to our lives, and we wouldn't have it any other way. So, let's raise a glass and toast to the "Cruel World" you've helped us navigate with your dreamy tunes. May you continue to be the "West Coast" breeze that keeps us cool in the "Shades of Cool" for many more years to come. Happy birthday, Ultraviolence! Keep on being the "Brooklyn Baby" that makes us "Pretty When We Cry"! 🎉🎂🎶'

first vinyl i ever bought lol, i had saved up some money for the box set thingy

and then it was such a HOT summer, so for me UV will always be a rancidly hot summer, just sweltering days and nights...i've been getting back into it lately and even though it's been toppled out of the top 3 for a long time, it's such a central moment in her career

i remember skipping school the day West Coast premiered - the almost spoken verses, the guitars, the jarring tempo - they all signaled a major shift coming our way and there's not one song on that album that doesn't emit an incredible energy that we can all revisit every now and then

and these past few days i rediscovered Florida Kilos lol, i think Flipside would have been a better addition to the deluxe version and FK should have been a regional bonus track, but it's such a fun track and they way she sings the bridge is heavenly

my personal standout tracks: West Coast, Ultraviolence, Sad Girl, Pretty When Your Cry, Flipside, The Other Woman

love UV forever and ever (even though Honeymoon decimated it) 

The soundtrack of my teenage years 

This album cannot be topped , pure brilliance 

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

anyways.... i cant put into words the importance this album has on my life!

it was the first project lana released after becoming a fan of hers so everything was more than special to me. i thrilled when she announced the album on the tropico premiere.... i miss those days where i was on twitter seeing photos of her walking to the market or whatever.... every memory from the pre release of UV is special to me :crai:

you must imagine how excited i was when west coast was announced. i couldnt wait to come home after school just to hear it (i was so anxious i dropped my lunch). i was ready to post the photos of her early 2014 tour on my pinterest!

i remember i was sick when brooklyn baby was released, on a sunday i guess. the next day i made eye contact with my school crush i kinda dedicate this song to him 

:whatever:

it was football world cup here in brazil, there was excitement in the streets and the album was my soundtrack through the vacations - i came home after a brazil vs mexico match just to find out the shades of cool mv was out!!!. i didnt had spotify back then so i was listening on youtube, soundcloud and other sites. it was so magical to me (till this day).

a month after the album came out, i found it in a store -  there was only one copy and ofc i bought it. MY FIRST EVER CD OF MY FAVOURITE ARTIST. i was shocked when i saw it on the store, lana wasnt that big in brazil. i was so scared to get stolen (as if someone would steal an album :flop:) and almost dropped it on the floor when i took it ou of that f*cking package.

2014 was the happiest year and fovourite moment of my life -  the last year i lived in my hometown before moving to another state; the last year i was in touch with my childhood friends; the last time i saw the guy i was in love. all the memories and happy moments i had in 2014, UV was playing in the background. so it's more than an album to me - its a memory of good and not so good moments ofc.

My fav for life. The heavy atmosphere it brings, the lyrics, the aestethic, the era.... it will always be her best :illumilana2:

Edited by CHATEAU MARMONT
adding new memories

a lil belated happy bday to one of the greatest albums of all fucking time. i guess there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said in this thread already. But WOW I love you, UV, you total classic, timeless, awesome, cool, addictive piece of true ART. That it's been NINE years is CRAZYYY. The really amazing part is that I still learn to apprieate the songs more and more as the time passes...

:crai:

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

THERE IS NO FUCKING WAY my head teacher at the Master program I'm doing starting September is teh one that made the font from the UV booklet I would literaLY DIE

I REMEMBER NOW HE WAS THE ONE WHO INTERVIEWED ME AS WELL if I had known I would have LOST MY SHIT IMAGINE!!!!! Imagine making the font that make the lyrics of the best record ever made

ZKcaooE.png

I'm thinking about UV again. I think the first Lana song that I ever listened to that was not VG or SS, was the leak on Tumblr of Old Money. Legendary. The only reason I got into Lana in the first place is cause I was so into this twink that had some CocoRosie lyrics tattoo on one arm (I remember it was "honey and tar") and Lana lyrics tattoo on the other. And he got me rly curious about this person he was so into. Ah man I hope he's doing well wherever he is. Anyway he was the one who shared the UV leak. The first non BTD Lana song I ever had on one of my devices was Sad Girl and I was obsessed w it but if I scratch the bottom of my head, I really do think Money Power Glory is the one song that made me stan Lana. It was like opening the door to a new universe of delights. I love this song. I was just listening to the demo and it fascinates me to see the evolution. I know a lot of people aren't into it but it just... It feels right for me if that makes sense, this song's melody just feels right. Even if SK is the Lana song I've ever loved the most, MPG is often the song that rings in my head when I think of why I love Lana.

Sorry this isn't very interesting but I just felt like putting this out :) MPG means a shitload to me, and this record in general. I'm glad I have its name tattooed over the heart.

ZKcaooE.png