Fluorine

Charli XCX

I listen to a few of her stuff. She's got a gorgeous voice, I might try getting into her a bit more.

I haven't posted since the first page  :eek:

But I feel like I should contribute/be more educated cos I'm seeing her in my town on April 1st and I'm SO super excited (even though the only person who will go with me is my 13 year old sister). Plus, the venue is quite small and tickets still haven't sold out since November so there's shouldn't be too many stans to shove through... People in my area have shit music taste  :judgingu:

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

omg in completely irrelevant but cool news, one of my fave bands Peace covered Doing It for the BBC live lounge! They have done work with her before

here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02j9gr8 around 14:40 

Holy crap they did amazing! brought a total new vibe to the song!

Holy crap they did amazing! brought a total new vibe to the song!

I know! They always do that with pop songs if you want to hear something cool, listen to their cover of Disclosure's 'White Noise' but yeah, it's so cool

My ears are bleeding.

I am sorry but as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm starting to feel so ashamed of being a Charli fan. I can't help but just shake my head whenever I listen to some of her lyrics now. The songs are catchy and all but well.

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO COMMENT THAT BECAUSE I SAW HE LIKED YOUR POST. OMG.

And also lol that he agrees Charli is slowly becoming shit... But I'm giving her a chance still. Marina did the same thing (to a lesser extent but still) and now she's better than ever!

It is sort of funny that, as far as I know about Maddy, he switched from Marina to Charli bc she sold out...And now

@@Madrigal we're calling you to the stand, testify your stance

Since you asked, @@SitarHero.

The reason I got tired of Marina was a mix of things. Part of it was (I think in retrospect) that I associated her music with a very specific time of my adolescence, and as I grew up and wanted to distance myself from the person I was at that point. So, as I remember @@PrettyBaby mentioning a long time ago, cognitive dissonance is indeed a dear, dear friend of mine. Another part of that is that Marina's music from the first two albums seems to cater (at least in the circles i'm in) to a demographic i do not want to be associated with. And I don't think that I realized that at the time, but whenever I meet someone who says they listen to Marina these days, chances are they fit a certain stereotype. 

Marina (at least, on her first two albums - i have not listened to the new stuff, and though i think i will eventually, i'm not going to speak for music i haven't heard) and now Charli both seem to me to make music that will one day sound like period pieces. this is true for plenty of songs that make it onto the radio - it's as if they sacrifice their ability to transcend petty trends or fads in order to reach a broader audience. And it's true that time alone can test the longevity of music like theirs - we'll know if it's made it if in twenty years people still refer to theses albums as works of art truly valuable. 

i know this is a hard claim to qualify - and i don't usually think about it in these terms. i have realized, though, that as a teenager, i go through all kinds of phases. Like Lorde talked about in her debut liner notes, being my age usually means that we change our stances on things very strongly. we love something, and then we hate it; we really care about something or someone, and in a short time might loathe the same person or thing with a burning passion. and i hope that someday i won't be like that - i think that'll come with being an adult. but one way i have tried to combat this is by listening to music that has already entered a canon of acclaim. Which is fitting, for there was a time when all the music I listened to came out within a three-or-so year window. The beauty of the internet, though, is that it allows us to tap into the knowledge of our past clearer than anything before, and gives us the chance to find out about what was en vogue a decade ago with a few clicks of a button. 

TL;DR: I don't really know. I'm tired, decided to log on and answer this question, and end up ranting about the digital age and the concept of canonization. 

Love y'all. :)

Since you asked, @@SitarHero.

The reason I got tired of Marina was a mix of things. Part of it was (I think in retrospect) that I associated her music with a very specific time of my adolescence, and as I grew up and wanted to distance myself from the person I was at that point. So, as I remember @@PrettyBaby mentioning a long time ago, cognitive dissonance is indeed a dear, dear friend of mine. Another part of that is that Marina's music from the first two albums seems to cater (at least in the circles i'm in) to a demographic i do not want to be associated with. And I don't think that I realized that at the time, but whenever I meet someone who says they listen to Marina these days, chances are they fit a certain stereotype. 

UM did Madrigal just "no homo" Marina's music? :toofunny:

FROOT is much more mature. Cannot really defend Charli at this point lmao. But yeah miss ur online presence

UM did Madrigal just "no homo" Marina's music? :toofunny:

FROOT is much more mature. Cannot really defend Charli at this point lmao. But yeah miss ur online presence

I agree. And I see @@Madrigal 's point with the stereotype of Marina fans. But I think it's more about the teen fans and the ones who like Electra Heart more than The Family Jewels...

But FROOT is definitely not like Electra Heart. She wrote every song completely herself and co produced it all with one fairly unknown producer. She's not chasing trends this time around. This seems to be her most authentic album yet.