LDRO

Instagram Updates

This cancel mentality is so toxic and annoying and leaves no room for actual discussions and for this reason, I despise social media.

Yes, she did not need to name any artists. Yes, she could have worded this better. Then this whole thing wouldn't have been so messy.

She seems to impulsively go on Instagram to drop a few bombs, just to vanish a few seconds later and it's killing me. I really hope she will clear all of this up in a follow up, but being a fan since 2012 tells me she won't. 

But hey, I stuck with her when she was ignorant enough to call feminism boring (apparently, we're still not done with that, seeing that she can't even write the words "I'm a feminist", she has to double negate the statement smh).

But now is not the time to leave. I would if she had actually said something racist. This wasn't it.

People need to shut up and be loud when actual shit happens, like Hannah Brown saying the n-word.

someone fill me in, i only started following lana in 2017. what did Lorde say about Lana?

Well, Lorde basically mentioned Lana in a couple of interviews back in 2013 when she first released Pure Heroin. She said that she listened to Born To Die a bunch and disagreed with a lot of the lyrical content on the album, which in counterpart inspired her to write her own material. She said something along the lines of Lana not being a good exemple/being unhealthy for girls/women.  

Well, Lorde basically mentioned Lana in a couple of interviews back in 2013 when she first released Pure Heroin. She said that she listened to Born To Die a bunch and disagreed with a lot of the lyrical content on the album, which in counterpart inspired her to write her own material. She said something along the lines of Lana not being a good exemple/being unhealthy for girls/women.  

I wonder if Lorde ever comes up when she is with Jack? And if Lorde and Lana talk? I'm curious about these things.

i was just thinking about how at one point "without you" was my all time favorite lana del rey song, and i remembered how i related to it at one point, i mean, it was because i had a HUGE crush on this boy from my school that i had actually never spoken to  :toofloppy: but 16 year old lemonadeheavens was really infatuated and having a lot of feelings! i don't think it was unhealthy for me, it helped me understand my feelings and i guess i do relate to lana a lot. i understand why lorde thought it was codependent but those are real feelings people have and she should be able to express it. i'm glad i had that song during that time lol. 

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

I think she makes a valid point, I just wish she didn't have to criticize others while making it.

Especially when frequent collaborators like A$AP have so many songs about having sex with women, oftentimes multiple women at once lol.

It doesn't mean it's intentionally misogynistic, it's just part of the braggadocious persona/ common subject matter that makes rap what it is. Even Cudi who talks a lot about his struggles with depression also talks about getting p*ssy.

It's a bit of a double standard to criticize only women and start bringing feminism and all this other stuff into it. I wish Lana could just stick to doing things her way without feeling the need to bring down others pursuing a different route. She has been given an unfair time by the media, but she's finally at a place where she is completely in control of the music and the message she wishes to give, getting great critical reception and seems artistically fulfilled. This is a milestone moment for her.

But holding on to past bitterness (though it is valid) will just hold her back at the end of the day. Hopefully there are some people around her who genuinely care about her that she can have these discussions with, I'm not saying she should filter her opinions but there's a way to go about these things. Honestly, she seems to be going through a hard time emotionally right now. I'm not convinced that the LA baddie squad really have her best interests at heart. At least, a real friend would be honest and not allow Lana to do something that will potentially bring her a truckload of hate just because she's hurting and wants to feel connection/recognition.

giphy.gif

Imagine saying this when you were like 17 and released an album titled Pure Heroine

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

i think what most people is missing here is that she's actually talking about the freedom of women to be able to talk about her experienced sexuality. not about black women. not about not being number 1. not about just being criticized while she was borning as a star. not about race. not about an artist in particular. she's talking about the constructs of our cultural ideas, feminism, the establishment and sexuality. i think she's bold questioning our culture. not much people do this. Lana is really different compared to all the women she mentioned, and that's what makes her upset: you need to say and be what the establishment wants you to be. not a sumbmisse woman speaking about being vulnerable and in love- but a "powerful" and "sexually free" woman, happy and strong, independent and untouchable. and i think THAT'S white feminism (or liberal feminism). she disrupts the discourse. as many of the women she mentioned did. but i think Lana is not asking to be part of that culture.

as she recently said: "i
f this is it, I'm signin' off". she's simply pointing out the HYPOCRISY of it. our culture is not diverse. it is structured by fashion and the establishment.

tumblr_pdttwcdZss1v75vie_500.png

The rant is very messy although I get the point she is making.

That one part "I'm just a glamorous person" though :derpna2: you have to be out of touch with reality or have no real people around you to say something like that about yourself :um: :eek: :shh:

yeah she sounds like a 4 year old when she says stuff like that...it’s very off putting. no adult i know says “i’m glamorous” seriously.

Imagine saying this when you were like 17 and released an album titled Pure Heroine

emphasis on the E lol... I don't think it's right to come for Lorde now anyway because she was young and probably just trying to be quirky like all teens in 2014. Pretty sure she likes lana now and even added get free to one of her spotify playlists. Lorde's clearly grown from those comments considering her lyrical content in melodrama is quite similar to what she criticised lana for, so i think it's lana's turn to move on from those comments now  :ohno:

Now, I understand the point Lana was trying to make, which is that she gets backlash for writing about 'taboo' topics such as abuse, drugs, sex, etc, but what in the hell was the point of bringing in all of those other female artists? She's acting as if none of those artists have ever gotten backlash for the same lyrical themes, when in reality they've probably received more hate from it than Lana has. What did they ever do to her? And also, her lyrics are a LOT different than some of the stuff that Doja Cat and Ariana Grande are writing about. Lana has written about abuse, addiction, cheating, etc, and I'm not saying at all that Doja and Ariana are any less than Lana for not writing lyrical content like that, but I don't think I've ever seen songs by them that go that deeply into topics like that. So comparing these artists to her don't really make any sense in the first place.

I don't know, I just think it's a stupid point to make when she's an incredibly successful singer and songwriter, her last album got tons of great reviews and debuted at number 3 on Billboard, and she's a millionaire white woman!! I'm not saying millionaire white women can't have any problems, but having to drag multiple black women over her OWN problems seems kind of entitled. (is that the right word? I don't know, but it's stupid lol)

death grips is online !

Y'all would've been totally fine had she not mentioned any of these women, but somehow her giving exemples as to how she was treated like shit by the industry as a whole, you twist this into a racist issue and are like "oh poor white girl" or "this sounds about white", she expressed her feelings as a woman period, nothing to do with anyone's skin colour.

Lorde was a teenager at the moment and felt the need to state her opinions everywhere she went. It's pretty common for teens to feel like their opinions should be heard by everyone. I don't think she thinks and is like this anymore, she has grown up after all. I bet she regrets a lot of things she has said when she was younger, like probably all of us do about our teen years too. 

I hope Lana understands this, she's smart. 

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

This is SO LANA...completely silent for ages and then she'll drop a bombshell like on Mother's Day and now this...and that'll prob be it for another few months while we all lose our minds trying to interpret it and writing thinkpieces. :teehee:

Lana, Lana, tell 'em what it is,

Tell 'em when you do it that you only do it big

:blush2:  :brows:

‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.’
~LDR, Flaunt