Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

This album is a mishmash of several different themes, and I wish Lana had enough patient to pace out her ideas into different albums instead of bungling them together. But I guess that's just Lana. Honeymoon was the same imo...

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

Am I the only one who feels like Lust for Life is almost like a rock opera about a specific, newly-cultivated persona? I thought of this after seeing this image the other day and just loving how everything ties together 

tumblr_otj0uem4e61ws5toso1_1280.jpg

The character doesn't have a name, so let's just go with Lana. But basically, Lana is a semi-reclusive witch, or an alien from the planet Daisyworld idk (daisies are obviously a motif) who has lived for generations, or at least she was alive during the last world war (because of WTWWAWWKD), endowed with powers of making people happy (or sad) that she could never control because she didn't understand herself enough. So she's always observed from her perch within the Hollywood sign, occasionally coming down to Earth (ie on Tuesdays) and sitting on the fire escapes of the city at night and listening to the hustle and bustle of society. But then came a breaking point where Lana finally decided that she needed to become a part of the world. The album is a journey through the stars, looking down from above, and through the Earth, finding beauty in these dark times, in an attempt to salvage America and the world. And she's doing it all from smack in the middle of Hollyweird. 

is it bad that i almost cried

???, ?????????

It's strange, something must have happened recently that really ruined her mood, because she was happier while making most of the record. Maybe her short-lived relationship with G-easy? Obviously there is small chance for that but I really have no idea what it could be. It's just evident she was in a better place for a long time and then something came and ruined it all

When was she in a better place for a long time? How do you know?

Am I the only one who feels like Lust for Life is almost like a rock opera about a specific, newly-cultivated persona? I thought of this after seeing this image the other day and just loving how everything ties together 

The character doesn't have a name, so let's just go with Lana. But basically, Lana is a semi-reclusive witch, or an alien from the planet Daisyworld idk (daisies are obviously a motif) who has lived for generations, or at least she was alive during the last world war (because of WTWWAWWKD), endowed with powers of making people happy (or sad) that she could never control because she didn't understand herself enough. So she's always observed from her perch within the Hollywood sign, occasionally coming down to Earth (ie on Tuesdays) and sitting on the fire escapes of the city at night and listening to the hustle and bustle of society. But then came a breaking point where Lana finally decided that she needed to become a part of the world. The album is a journey through the stars, looking down from above, and through the Earth, finding beauty in these dark times, in an attempt to salvage America and the world. And she's doing it all from smack in the middle of Hollyweird. 

Really, really love this.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Stop spamming this thread with your shitty opinions you fucking 16 yo imbeciles.

"Lana's magic is gone!!"---> Literally what this shitty fandom consisting of tasteless melodramatic gays have been saying since the start of the UV era. Aren't you tired of being so damn repetitive, pessimistic and dramatic? Go fucking away you'll never be pleased by anything she does.

Okay girls I kind of have a confession to make.

I felt nothing when I listened to Lust For Life. As big of a Lana fan that I am, I'm quite shocked tbh. The only songs I like are Cherry, White Mustang, Groupie Love, God Bless America, Tomorrow Never Came and Get Free. I haven't felt the way I did when I first listen to the album Born to Die and Paradise with any of her past records. Like I really can't connect to it. Like some of you were saying, I miss Lana when she had clear aesthetics and visuals. That, her voice and music is what made her so special. Her fashion sense during the BTD era was so chic and glamorous too. I almost feel like that Lana back then was another person. She was such a bad bitch. I know that artist grow and change but idk. That's what made me fall in love with her because she was so different. I'm not a fan of her political side of the album either. I know in an interview her producer says yes to everything she does or whatever but sometimes that really isn't a good thing. I miss Emile sooo much because everything on BTD had a magic touch and I think that's what's missing from these past records. I love Lana so much but I'm just not into these messy sounds and eras anymore. It's getting old and sometimes I feel as though she's lazy? With her presence and aesthetics. Please don't come for me. This is just how I feel. Maybe I connected to the BTD era and album because I was going through sort of the same thing and heartbreak and in the past five years I haven't gone through any of that. I'm not sure but it saddens me because Lana Del Rey is an angel and she will always be my favorite artist.

Lana's dancers looked really good today  :creep: (Clearly not better than Lana though)

Me when i steal Lana's laptop and take it to court in search of justice for Yosemite and Life is beautiful only for her to find nothing but a G-sleazy collab and a bunch of Coachella demo's

jj.gifjj.gifjj.gif

How much time did they take to make Coachella? Like a week?  :eartha:  

How much time do they need to make a song sound decently produced? (this is a legit question I know nothing about this kind of things)

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

Stop spamming this thread with your shitty opinions you fucking 16 yo imbeciles.

"Lana's magic is gone!!"---> Literally what this shitty fandom consisting of tasteless melodramatic gays have been saying since the start of the UV era. Aren't you tired of being so damn repetitive, pessimistic and dramatic? Go fucking away you'll never be pleased by anything she does.

Sometimes I wonder why the btd stans keep stanning her if they are not into her new music? I guess it's hard love her but they still love her..it's just the way the feel

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

I like how in Get Free she kind of has a collaboration with her old self. She says out of the black in her Lana vocals, but then repeats it again with her Lizzy vocals. It's as though she's confronting her dark lizzy grant past and moving on, bringing her old self along with the movement towards finding happiness. Quite fascinating. Every time i hear those strong Lizzy vocals in the song i just picture her old interview at the trailer park... and how far that girl has come since those days. :xcry:

this made me get tears in my eyes

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

Sometimes I wonder why the btd stans keep stanning her if they are not into her new music? I guess it's hard love her but they still love her..it's just the way the feel

I'm a little less cough judgemental with my opinions, but I wonder the same thing. I wonder why they waste their time on her. I mean, definitely listen to her music, but it's clear that she's moved on to a different frame of mind and aesthetic, and it's fine to prefer one over the other, but if you just plain don't like it... I don't know, I feel like it's a waste of time to wait around expecting blood from a stone. Find another artist inspired by that aesthetic. 

I like how in Get Free she kind of has a collaboration with her old self. She says out of the black in her Lana vocals, but then repeats it again with her Lizzy vocals. It's as though she's confronting her dark lizzy grant past and moving on, bringing her old self along with the movement towards finding happiness. Quite fascinating. Every time i hear those strong Lizzy vocals in the song i just picture her old interview at the trailer park... and how far that girl has come since those days. :xcry:

this made me get tears in my eyes

This album needs a Birds of Paradise Edition

Omg bird of paradise would be an amazing album name but she already had paradise as an ep

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

WRITE MOAR THINGS *I love your writing.*

tumblr_n9t9baKLaK1sj5r1lo1_500.gif

I prefer Lana with a vintage aesthetic. She captured it SO well for Ultraviolence. It fit the music perfectly and it was just so visually beautiful. These are some of my favourite pictures of Lana ever.

2dd884ba9f6ff3b2c86b35916a1e6e41.jpg

Sin+t%C3%ADtulo.png

tumblr_nco9bjC9Vy1toxnjuo1_500.jpg

2014072953d78379e2c4d.png

^^^ This is something Lust for Life is really lacking. I respect whatever she wants to do, but i'm not loving this modern style she's got going on. I want this vintage stuff back. I loved how she could just take a simple location or idea and turn it into a work of art. I don't like the hip hop or trap beats in this era. I want the rawness of UV back, the angry raspy electric guitars and hypnotic dream-like vocals. Compare Shades of Cool to Coachella and it's quite upsetting. Not just because Coachella is such a bad song... but because it's so basic and lacking in production. Practically all the songs from LFL have a basic production, yeah i do like some of them but there's no denying that. I love the record and i'm trying my hardest not to shit all over everyones excitement, but just needed to get some things off my chest.

Rant over :D

This era is a fucking trainwreck in terms of aesthetic. I have no idea what the hell she was trying to go for and I know I sound super aggressive, but looking back at her previous eras it's just like...what happened?

UV, for me, remains her best. The attire, the photoshoots, the music it all mashed up so well together. It was able to bring out a specific theme that suits the era so nice. I don't know if it was just pure luck, but I look back at almost any UV shoot and it just speaks the era, if that makes sense. It's a shame how short lived it was, though. As for BTD, all I'll say is it was a well done, exciting era, especially it being done for 2 years. We had so many magazine shoots, interviews, performances, and some of her best music videos to date. The aesthetic, while not being as specific as UV, did have a theme that could range from gangsta nancy sinatra, to a glamorous moody siren, to a soft melancholy nostalgia of 50's/60's americana. It suits Lana wonderfully.

I could never say the same for this era. It's confusing what she's trying to go for here. The album is wonderful, but the era is not the full package is what I'm trying to get at here. I don't even know what the hell I'm talking about anymore so I'm just gonna take a nap, but overall, I agree with everything you said.

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif