partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

what’s surprised me today is learning how easily these songs can be obtained simply because of impersonation, granted idk how 111 got his hands on the invoice with the song titles on it in the first place, but idk you would think there would be more careful identification confirmation while working with an artist as big as lana who already had a notoriously huge leak history previously at the time. i’ve heard of impersonation being a way of getting unreleased material from collaborators in the past, but i honestly dismissed it because i didn’t believe industry names as established as patrick warren would fall for stuff like that :rip: lowkey concerning

Just now, lilac heaven said:

what’s surprised me today is learning how easily these songs can be obtained simply because of impersonation, granted idk how 111 got his hands on the invoice with the song titles on it in the first place, but idk you would think there would be more careful identification confirmation while working with an artist as big as lana who already had a ginormous leak history previously at the time. i’ve heard of impersonation being a way of getting unreleased material from collaborators in the past, but i honestly dismissed it because i didn’t believe industry names as established as patrick warren would fall for stuff like that :rip: lowkey concerning

whole photoshoots use to leak through trunk archives before they did any authentication on new members

"whens it gonna be my turn, dont forget me"

54 minutes ago, Y512 said:

Do you know how UV sounded before Dan’s involvement? Cause the only demos we have are Dan’s and we know she produced a lot of the songs herself with some help from Lee Foster and obviously the Rick produced original demos (Sad Girl, Shades of Cool…)
That whole process is so interesting cause even just by looking at the UV credits you can tell a few things about the process. For example, West Coast (album version) is not even properly mixed, it’s just the exported bounce. Sad Girl uses the Rick demo vocals which means she discarded the vocal take she did with Dan…

I don't think she even did a vocal take of "Sad Girl" with Dan Auerbach, they just kept the OG vocal track done previously with Rick and Dan built the instrumental around it. Same thing Paul Epworth did with "Black Beauty".

I'm kind of sure that they also kept the same vocal take from the "Ultraviolence" demo, sans the bridge, perhaps, which sounds different. And then Dan brought in the backing vocalists whom he works with on The Black Keys records.

All the other "Ultraviolence" tracks produced by Auerbach were probably takes recorded 90% live, as they stated on multiple interviews. Even the "Money Power Glory" produced by Dan is another vocal take, I believe.

1 minute ago, lilac heaven said:

what’s surprised me today is learning how easily these songs can be obtained simply because of impersonation, granted idk how 111 got his hands on the invoice with the song titles on it in the first place, but idk you would think there would be more careful identification confirmation while working with an artist as big as lana who already had a notoriously huge leak history previously at the time. i’ve heard of impersonation being a way of getting unreleased material from collaborators in the past, but i honestly dismissed it because i didn’t believe industry names as established as patrick warren would fall for stuff like that :rip: lowkey concerning

Impersonation is HUGE. Creating fake emails is easy. However, in more recent years the industry (especially mixers or mostly the artists themselves) have gained a better awareness of this. For example when a *someone tried to scam Rina Sawayama's photographer in 2017-18 and she tweeted about it. Another example is Mitch McCarthy the Carly/Melanie mixer, I believe legal action may have been taken after someone tried it with him 

57 minutes ago, Y512 said:

Do you know how UV sounded before Dan’s involvement? Cause the only demos we have are Dan’s and we know she produced a lot of the songs herself with some help from Lee Foster and obviously the Rick produced original demos (Sad Girl, Shades of Cool…)
That whole process is so interesting cause even just by looking at the UV credits you can tell a few things about the process. For example, West Coast (album version) is not even properly mixed, it’s just the exported bounce. Sad Girl uses the Rick demo vocals which means she discarded the vocal take she did with Dan…

I just want to say that the so called pre-UV release mixed version of West Coast, the one that she released the day after performing it at Coachella (now being referred to as the Rob Orton mix or the Single video on YouTube) is far superior to the version that ended up on the album. To this day, I still don't understand why she (or her team) felt like it needed the fine tuning it received, as it already sounded perfect; the vocals were pristine and the drums and guitars were hazy enough as is. I never listen to the album's version of West Coast.

I still have the single file I bought on iTunes in April of 2014 and I like to pretend like it's the only official version in existence.

3 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

Girl these producers, mixing/mastering engineers and industry people use passwords like anal69 and never even heard of 2FA… 

1 minute ago, West Coast said:

I just want to say that the so called pre-UV release mixed version of West Coast, the one that she released the day after performing it at Coachella (now being referred to as the Rob Orton mix) is far superior to the version that ended up on the album. To this day, I still don't understand why she (or her team) felt like it needed the fine tuning it received, as it already sounded perfect; the guitars and vocals were pristine and hazy enough as is. I never listen to the album's version of West Coast.

I still have the single file I bought on iTunes on April of 2014 and I like to pretend like it's the only official version in existence.

am i the only one that does not hear a single diff between the two :deadbanana:

2 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I mean I'm happy we have the songs, but the fact that Eclipse got them by pretending to be Lana is highly questionable :eek3:

Well theres probably a chance he didn't present himself as Lana. Probably had a list of her team's official emails, and created a very slightly different email address. Happens all the time

@BlackoutZone Please don't feel obligated to answer this immediately (!!!), but I'm definitely curious about any information you may have on album visuals. We know she's notorious for scrapping music videos (thanks for the TNBAR tea!), and we've even received some peeks behind the curtain at how she creates her cover artwork (thinking chiefly of the unused Paradise Edition cover, as well as the NFR! alt cover mockup that leaked), so I'm really curious to know if any eras have interesting scrapped visuals/covers/videos/etc. 

I love imagining these alternate universe versions of albums with diff tracklists/covers/titles... giving Burnt Norton teas

o4qjp4j.png

@BlackoutZonehas Lana post-BTD ever attempted a hit, or has her team ever accepted a song that they intended to release but was ultimately given to someone else and has since become a hit?

I hear people talking about Diamonds but that just seems so insane to me.. 

Sort of the same vein, are you aware of any unleaked songs that had hit potential?

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

Just now, The Siren said:

am i the only one that does not hear a single diff between the two :deadbanana:

I feel like I'm the only one that makes a fuss about this, but I listened to West Coast like 500 times before she dropped UV, so by the time the album came out, I was able to decipher both versions. :toofloppy:

1 minute ago, West Coast said:

I just want to say that the so called pre-UV release mixed version of West Coast, the one that she released the day after performing it at Coachella (now being referred to as the Rob Orton mix) is far superior to the version that ended up on the album. To this day, I still don't understand why she (or her team) felt like it needed the fine tuning it received, as it already sounded perfect; the guitars and vocals were pristine and hazy enough as is. I never listen to the album's version of West Coast.

I still have the single file I bought on iTunes on April of 2014 and I like to pretend like it's the only official version in existence.

I thought I wrote this 💀 I’ve been ranting about this since April 2014 and I also still have the original iTunes purchased file from 2014 and only listen to it to this day. The album version’s vocals are too muffled and is just a sonic assassination of the Rob version.

1 minute ago, sparklrtrailrheaven said:

@BlackoutZone Please don't feel obligated to answer this immediately (!!!), but I'm definitely curious about any information you may have on album visuals. We know she's notorious for scrapping music videos (thanks for the TNBAR tea!), and we've even received some peeks behind the curtain at how she creates her cover artwork (thinking chiefly of the unused Paradise Edition cover, as well as the NFR! alt cover mockup that leaked), so I'm really curious to know if any eras have interesting scrapped visuals/covers/videos/etc. 

I love imagining these alternate universe versions of albums with diff tracklists/covers/titles... giving Burnt Norton teas

this. hopefully lust for life did cause I can't accept that lana had a little shoot after the love music video and thought yup that's that. but then again she is lazy with covers (bb and nfr singles...) But to have no lfl variants is so likeee???

d5fodnB.gif

Just now, Y512 said:

I thought I wrote this 💀 I’ve been ranting about this since April 2014 and I also still have the original iTunes purchased file from 2014 and only listen to it to this day. The album version’s vocals are too muffled and is just a sonic assassination of the Rob version.

I feel very validated right now--I too have been ranting about this since 2014. Thank you. :bebe:

@BlackoutZone are you willing to share info about ocean blvd? of course nothing major but just some crumbs to get us hyped :hooker:

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ