Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I can't emphasize enough how I hope this is the album cover. 

I want to so bad as well but it's wayyyyyyy too early for that imho. It's like playing Uno and wasting your Draw 4 card before the end of the game. Why would they kill the hype? I also think we would have got it in better quality already if it was, either Chuck if it's her would have posted it on Insta or the photographer would have been wanting to get known for it and posted a higher quality version. But let's dream because this photo kills me

ZKcaooE.png

I want to so bad as well but it's wayyyyyyy too early for that imho. It's like playing Uno and wasting your Draw 4 card before the end of the game. Why would they kill the hype? I also think we would have got it in better quality already if it was, either Chuck if it's her would have posted it on Insta or the photographer would have been wanting to get known for it and posted a higher quality version. But let's dream because this photo kills me

Preeeeach.

well MAC hit 1 million in 24 hours too

@ me sis. The difference is MAC is 4 mins long, this is a 10 minute masterpiece. I can't think of anyone who could drop a 10 min song and get 1 mil in 24 hours lmao. a 10 minute high budget short film w a 3-5 mins of singing in it, sure. Im really pleasantly surprised by how much positive attention its getting- and deservedly too. Amazing track.  :hooker:

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

Also guys I cannot believe we actually made it out of the trap beats :oprah: 

Now can people stop shitting on Jack as a producer??? I knew him and Lana would make amazing music together, Jack is such a talented and versatile producer

FzytWEW.png

Listened to the interview with Zane and I’ve warmed up to the title and am sooo excited for the record

Especially the part where she talks about how she wanted Jack to keep a lot of the chord progressions cause they were so good

Also that bit about Lana flying the plane and her instructor being like “you don’t trust yourself” and her saying “you’re right, I don’t trust myself” in response is so hilarious

Ugh she is such a likeable and down to earth person

It's interesting to see how divise VB is - one of my friends who is more into Indierock and heavy guitars never could stand her music but he really likes VB. Another friend, who's a huge fan of her BTD era, hates it and thinks she's making boring 70's music now. So I guess (as with every record) Lana will lose some of her (Pop-)fans with the new album but she'll also gain new fans from other genres.

But all those people who don't like the 2 new songs and who probably won't like NFR can relax - you'll only have to wait 15-18 months before Lana will release a new album which probably will show a complete change in direction again (maybe back to a more Pop-ish sound who knows). :)

Ugh I feel that... I'm aware this is gonna sound very melodramatique-wigs-snatched-crops-watered-acne-cured but something in the vibe of the songs makes me want to become better. A better person. Cut all the toxic stuff in my life and take advantage of every moment because everything's fleeting and soon enough you'll become nostalgic of your happiest memories and you'll end up crying on Venice Bitch at three am. So you gotta live every moment fully and thrive to be a better person. I decided to quit smoking today and for the first time in over a year I actually feel I can keep on this time. Talk about Lana Del Rey having a bad influence on the youth

It does indeed make me want to be better too. And it already feels like ive been listening to the two songs for years.

Im so glad you're deciding to quit! honestly that makes me feel happy x

So, does the album title has anything to do with the real Norman Rockwell? I've read mixed things on the matter.

What have you heard about it? Genuinely asking because I still don’t get the reasons behind the album title lmao I fell dumb

I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun

What have you heard about it? Genuinely asking because I still don’t get the reasons behind the album title lmao I fell dumb

Lana talked about the album title in her Beats 1 interview yesterday: http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/10293-lana-on-beats-1-2018-09-18/page-19&do=findComment&comment=683648

So, does the album title has anything to do with the real Norman Rockwell? I've read mixed things on the matter.

Lana said the title track 'Norman Fucking Rockwell' was about this guy she knew who was really talented but constantly boasted about it 24/7

So from what I've gathered, the music on the album doesn't really have anything to do with Rockwell's work or style but more with the fact that Lana's likening this guy's skills to a great talent like Norman Rockwell.

The lyrics are probably like 'you thought you were Norman fucking Rockwell' or something

Kind of confusing but I think it'll make more sense within the context of the song/album. I guess it's similar to Best American Record in which the subject matter had more to do with the person's selfishness rather than an actual album of some sort.

So a day has passed and I can honestly say the album title is really good. Norman Fucking Rockwell will surely grab people's attention since it's not your average album title. Smart move Lana :brows:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

For Venice Bitch, I'm reminded of the Doors, especially wrt the moog, and maybe it's crossed a little with Simon and Garfunkel. She's influenced by artists like Cat Power and Father John Misty, who do longer tracks on occasion, and Jonathon Wilson, who do longer tracks plus significant jamming. I hope she took the primary role in creating the interlude music, as having longish instrumentals is a really big change for her, and one of the obvious ways she can grow musically. Of course with experiments come failures as well as successes, but I don't think of this as a failure by any stretch. However, I do hope the album has more "torch-singing" in the other songs, as I kind of miss that.

With regards the album title: Hopefully, the descendents of Norman Rockwell (who died in 1978) are Lana stans and will let the title stand. It's a title that will really discomfit award shows that nominate it. What gives me hope from the album title, being as unexpected as it is, is that "Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant" and "May Jailer: Sirens" would make the sequence of released album titles a bit more reasonable, so maybe the probability is higher she (re-)release these works?  And maybe NFR will disinhibit her enough to release some unreleased collections (with surprising titles). With this artist it may be her diversity that ultimately sets her apart, which is why I stan the unreleased/suppressed stuff (as extensions of that diversity) and am not turned off by a direction change.

As for the song NFR? It will be interesting (for me, at least) to compare it to Ani Difranco's "Napoleon" (which also uses the word "fucking") and Carly Simon's "You're so vain", both classics in the genre of egotistical-artist-diss songs.