Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Lana was apparently interviewed by Grazia Italia by @fedi_volpe on instagram. does anyone know how to buy this magazine and anyone who can translate it??????

Download the google translate app

The Instagram pic says

“THE STUDIES IN PHILOSOPHY AND THE FIRST SONGS UNDER THE FALSE NAME, THE SUCCESS OBTAINED AS WOOL OF THE REY, THE BLACK HOLE OF ALCOHOL AND THE RETURN. THE AMERICAN SINGER SPEAKS TO THE GRACE OF HIS MANY LIVES, AND NOW THAT IS THE FACE OF A PERFUME FOR FREE SPIRITS, IT EXPLAIN WHY NOTHING CAN STOP THE HEART OF BOHEMIEN BY Federica Volpe FROM Los Angeles”

You can translate images

Just bought it. It says nothing about the new album, only that we'll hear it soon

My hope has never risen and fallen so quickly before..! :defeated:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I really think Lana wanted to buy more personal time before having to start the album cycle over again for real, so she manufactured this poetry book as a vanity project and an easy excuse to get out of releasing the album when it was done, hence why we get no real answers from her or anyone on her management team

I think she did intend to release the album early this year - because she did state that, and VB and MAC were released in quick succession, and then Hope. Somewhere in there she said she'd cancel shows, and tweeted, "who knows when it'll be out" which makes it sound like it was someone else's doing, or that something unexpected happened.

None of those things by themselves are significant, but collectively, they point to either an external issue over which she has little or no control, or as you say, she had a change of heart. If so, she probably hasn't set herself a time frame to be ready and it's more of a "I'll know when I'm ready" situation.

I think many of us want there to be something controversial or interesting in it, but in reality, your post is probably the closest to the truth.

My Spidey senses are telling me she's going to post something really soon, but idk if it'll be NFR related.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

so since i have nothing to say about lana anymore and don't really comb through this thread unless there's drama ensuing, i've decided that i'll state a fun fact from the year that matches the page i post on

did you guys knoooow that the year 1565 started on a MONDAY? wawhoooo wowza! a fact!

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

so since i have nothing to say about lana anymore and don't really comb through this thread unless there's drama ensuing, i've decided that i'll state a fun fact from the year that matches the page i post on

did you guys knoooow that the year 1565 started on a MONDAY? wawhoooo wowza! a fact!

Reported xx

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

Daily reminder to not intentionally derail the thread/post off-topic. WPs, mod queues etc. I think most of you get the point by now.

Who wants to get into a fight with me to have something interesting happen on the website while Lana is briandead

Daily reminder to not intentionally derail the thread/post off-topic. WPs, mod queues etc. I think most of you get the point by now.

take it somewhere else girl

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Regarding the use of the NR name, since his work was deeply rooted in traditional Americana and ‘clean,’ ‘innocent’ images of America, and since names can be trademarked and licensed, I still feel it’s possible that the trust that guards the Rockwell estate filed an injunction to stop the use of the name in the album and title song (assuming there is a title song).

The problem would not be the NR name most likely, but the name with the word ‘Fucking’ between first and last, which, to their way of thinking, defiles the Rockwell image.

I know a Rockwell granddaughter denied the family trust took any action, but it’s possible she doesn’t know, or, more likely, simply doesn’t want to get publicly involved. So it’s better to feign ignorance.

Or it may be that the terms of the agreement, assuming there was one, barred anyone on either side in discussing it publicly for a specified period of time.

From the moment I heard the name, I expected trouble. People like Elizabeth Taylor successfully sued to have others prevented from using her name for commercial purposes, and that was without an expletive between Elizabeth and Taylor.

I may be wrong, but that’s my personal suspicion behind what appears to be a delay. If so, then the title song would have to be dropped or lyrically reworked and re-recorded, and if the graphics were finished or in process, they would have to be done completely over. And if the title song was dropped, then perhaps she had to write something to replace it, assuming she didn’t want to use something in her back catalogue.

The time it’s taken to complete the poetry book may also be partially responsible. There could easily be more than one reason. Look at how often things go wrong in our own lives, despite foresight and careful planning.

I really think Lana wanted to buy more personal time before having to start the album cycle over again for real, so she manufactured this poetry book as a vanity project and an easy excuse to get out of releasing the album when it was done, hence why we get no real answers from her or anyone on her management team

exactly

Regarding the bland visuals and lackluster photos of this era, that started about the time of Honeymoon, when LDR began posting unflattering photos and short clips of herself on social media, clearly by intent. I don’t think she wanted to be known or perceived as a sex symbol any longer, even if that was something that had interested her for a decade or more. Sometimes beautiful women aren’t taken seriously, especially if they’re artists.

The ‘this is what I really look like on a day to day basis’ approach was probably also intended to appease certain factions on the Left, such as Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth, who trashed LDR in her book. Some on the Left are anti-glamour and feel female glamour is just a tool used by Madison Avenue, something that is used to manipulate women and hold them down. The early lines of ‘Hope’ clearly express that she isn’t a glamour girl anymore (assuming the song is intended to be autobiographical), or perhaps is only when she absolutely has to be (I.e., magazine covers to promote albums).

She seems to want the world to know that she’s on the pretty side of average looking, but not more than that.

Regarding the bland visuals and lackluster photos of this era, that started about the time of Honeymoon, when LDR began posting unflattering photos and short clips of herself on social media, clearly by intent. I don’t think she wanted to be known or perceived as a sex symbol any longer, even if that was something that had interested her for a decade or more. Sometimes beautiful women aren’t taken seriously, especially if they’re artists.

The ‘this is what I really look like on a day to day basis’ approach was probably also intended to appease certain factions on the Left, such as Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth, who trashed LDR in her book. Some on the Left are anti-glamour and feel female glamour is just a tool used by Madison Avenue, something that is used to manipulate women and hold them down. The early lines of ‘Hope’ clearly express that she isn’t a glamour girl anymore (assuming the song is intended to be autobiographical), or perhaps is only when she absolutely has to be (I.e., magazine covers to promote albums).

She seems to want the world to know that she’s on the pretty side of average looking, but not more than that.

I get what you mean.

Norman Rockwell's paintings were supposed to emphasize the simplicity of American living, and I think that that's what she was trying to accomplish with MAC/Venice. She's also trying to make them look cohesive.

However, in relation to the Venice and MAC video, they're pretty lazy; not only because of the old car driving for ~4 minutes, but because she used another music video in it. It's like she didn't wanna try.

If she doesn't clarify what she's doing/why, people are going to stop paying attention. We aren't gonna care anymore

Nationalxanthem, I agree. I’ve watched the decline in visuals and the shift in her persona with sadness, as it was everything about the BTD/Paradise era that I loved. She’s changed a great deal without verbal explanation, and no doubt both lost and gained fans in the process, as no doubt some newer fans like the LFL LDR but didn’t care for the BTD LDR when they investigated her older work.

To me, her initial era as LDR was a beautiful vision I hoped was authentic, and no doubt some aspects of it were, but a lot was just a performance, rather like the young woman in Hitchcock’s ‘Vertigo’ of the 1950s. ‘Hope’ makes me think the multiple personas are fragmenting her and that now she just wants to be herself, and perhaps not misrepresent herself to younger women who may in turn feel compelled to live up to an impossible standard of beauty, slenderness and public poise.

Way back in the late 1960s, Nico destroyed her own beauty for the same cluster of reasons, and didn’t gain respect as an artist until she had.

I see what you mean. Especially with the part you say she tried to be a sex symbol or something. There's obviously a reason why she got a nose job and her lips injected.

However she's definitely not 'average looking' :rip: She's someone I'd definitely admire physically if I saw her on the streets.