Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

She didn't even go to Coachella... Is she doing OK

Maybe it has to do with age? I went to a similar festival here in Canada for a couple of years. At some point, I didn’t feel like the next year would be as fun for me anymore. Maybe this is what is happening to her. Or maybe not, I don’t know.

She didn't even go to Coachella... Is she doing OK

She knew Billie was going to be there and didn't want to be around the kid who stole her thunder :oop2:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I pretty much feel the exact opposite way lol, I think there are a couple lines that are good, but overall the lyrics are trash. I will never forget that initial crushing disappointment I felt when I first heard it, because I expected a grungy or rockier song in the vein of Brooklyn Baby thematically. And we got 10 minutes of Lana baked to a crisp, basically mumbling random words. And no offense, but I'm not here for that bottom anthem. Seriously, that song has micro dick energy, it's fucking sad. "Its me ur lil venice bitch"? really? bitch you're 35, stop making yourself small so that these losers will feel more comfortable being around you :bye:

Thanks for saying what you actually cringe about, which makes your post much more interesting, than the average cringe post.

She also sings "you're beautiful and I'm insane", which makes it complicated to understand just how, in fact, she is portraying herself. That might have been a reverse-descriptor reference to Barrie, who likes Venice Beach (he filmed some videos there). I can speculate that song writers often intentionally re-map, what might be taken to be semi-probable facts, just to disguise what they are singing about.

Her position on love may also be more complicated than people generally give her credit for. To say something like "when you love someone their happiness is your happiness" (not sure what her exact words were, I think this was from a tweet), this could be a really bad deal if it's asymmetric (i.e., one does not love as the other), but if it's symmetric then it's probably a good deal (provided heads don't explode from biofeedback). Because the symmetric case might be fabulously rare, I often think she sings more about unobtainable ideals, and not real people, in her love-idolization songs.

Didn't she say she did some "automatic writing" for VB (in the Zane Lowe interview, I believe) and that she just name dropped Norman Rockwell just because she felt like it? There was no particular reason for it, according to her.

"Automatic writing or psychography is a claimed psychic ability allowing a person to produce written words without consciously writing. The words purportedly arise from a subconscious, spiritual or supernatural source." (from wikipedia)

Maybe that's why some of you find the lyrics cringey, because they don't seem well thought out?

Didn't she say she did some "automatic writing" for VB (in the Zane Lowe interview, I believe) and that she just name dropped Norman Rockwell just because she felt like it? There was no particular reason for it, according to her.

"Automatic writing or psychography is a claimed psychic ability allowing a person to produce written words without consciously writing. The words purportedly arise from a subconscious, spiritual or supernatural source." (from wikipedia)

Maybe that's why some of you find the lyrics cringey, because they don't seem well thought out?

This is interesting!

It’s been forever since I listened to that interview! I don’t recall her saying that but if this is the case that makes VB much more interesting to me.

Ohhh I've heard of this! Pretty spooky in a way, but it would explain a lot.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Today my Spotify played the beginning of MAC and it still sounded so fresh and new (I changed the song after the first few notes, I don't want to listen to it until the album's out)

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

Today my Spotify played the beginning of MAC and it still sounded so fresh and new (I changed the song after the first few notes, I don't want to listen to it until the album's out)

Am I the only one who still listens to all of the snippets and singles, and they all still sound fresh to me? I WISH some of my hype for this album would die so I could calm down a lil

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

Am I the only one who still listens to all of the snippets and singles, and they all still sound fresh to me? I WISH some of my hype for this album would die so I could calm down a lil

Me too.

MAC though is so close to my heart and so meaningful that I try to listen to it only when I need it the most.

Thanks for saying what you actually cringe about, which makes your post much more interesting, than the average cringe post.

She also sings "you're beautiful and I'm insane", which makes it complicated to understand just how, in fact, she is portraying herself. That might have been a reverse-descriptor reference to Barrie, who likes Venice Beach (he filmed some videos there). I can speculate that song writers often intentionally re-map, what might be taken to be semi-probable facts, just to disguise what they are singing about.

Her position on love may also be more complicated than people generally give her credit for. To say something like "when you love someone their happiness is your happiness" (not sure what her exact words were, I think this was from a tweet), this could be a really bad deal if it's asymmetric (i.e., one does not love as the other), but if it's symmetric then it's probably a good deal (provided heads don't explode from biofeedback). Because the symmetric case might be fabulously rare, I often think she sings more about unobtainable ideals, and not real people, in her love-idolization songs.

In Venice Bitch, Lana shows a kind of vulnerability that feels nothing short of pathetic. It feels nothing like Hope, The Blackest Day, Is This Happiness, even Ultraviolence with its "he hit me and it felt like a kiss". Until Venice Bitch, Lana's vulnerability -though not always relatable- always seemed tragically beautiful...stunningly disarming. She excelled in turning ugly situations into beautiful works of art. She sang "it's you, it's you, it's all for you, everything I do", in a song about her boyfriend ignoring her to play freaking World of Warcraft. It's such a silly thing to write a song about, and it could have easily come out sounding ridiculous. Instead she managed to create a dreamy, melancholic masterpiece. Same with Blue Jeans, where she romanticizes being her man's "ride or die bitch" while he's stressing her out. Venice Bitch just fails to have any sort of impact. It doesn't touch me. It doesn't move me. I'm hearing a silly little girl mumble. And I'm sitting over here like :pls:

And you know, it could be said that maybe it's just me. I'm older, I'm colder, my heart has turned into a shriveled lump of coal...maybe the walls I've put up make it impossible for me to have the emotionally charged, transcendent, otherworldly experience everyone else seems to have when they listen to Venice Bitch. But Hope was like a knife in the heart. And How To Disappear hit me so fucking hard. I felt just like I did when I first heard Pretty When You Cry, Religion, etc. So it can't be me. It's Venice Bitch and its lack of quality. But I guess a guitar solo can save everything :awkney2:

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

This is interesting!

It’s been forever since I listened to that interview! I don’t recall her saying that but if this is the case that makes VB much more interesting to me.

Exactly! I don’t have time to look it up now, though, but I’ll do it later

This is very common with the genre VB is in. If you listen to Kings of Leon’s Cold Desert, that one was done freely out of a drunk night just playing around done in one take. Almost like the Laurel Canyon, soft rock/southern rock sound with little hints of psychedelia

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole