Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

weird thing is i don't hear her played much on 'alternative' radio stations either, new release or not. granted i'm in the uk so i've no idea if this is common

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

They were never intended for mass consumption, and the album most likely isn't either, it's time to accept it.

You can throw the word flop around all you want, it doesn't really mean anything because Lana doesn't operate in that particular sphere where that word would actually hold some kind of meaning.

Okay??? Just because Lana “doesn’t operate in that particular sphere” doesn’t take away from the fact that the songs literally flopped lol

It's only my dark city, only my new man...

the songs literally flopped lol

What? Lana isn't a radio or charts artist, she isn't even that much of a streaming force. She's an album artist who most likely relies on physical sales of her album. Did the singles from this album (pre-Doin Time) even get sent to radio?

Okay??? Just because Lana “doesn’t operate in that particular sphere” doesn’t take away from the fact that the songs literally flopped lol

She didn't flop, she actually did really great with zero promotion for MAC, VB and Hope. Who can get 25M streams on a pure piano ballad that lasts more than 5 minutes without any promotion? Not a lot of artists. She never was streamed much and she's not flopping at all. A flop would be if she was as famous and popular as Ariana Grande and only got this amount of streams. But since she's not and she never took advantage of the streams, she's doing pretty great. I understand that when you think Lana Del Rey, you think big. But she never was that big. She just left a big impact on music and is praised.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

The three singles released didn’t flop. As many have noted, they were ‘fan singles’ and probably no one on her team or at Interscope intended them to chart or make any kind of commercial impact.

On the other hand, unless LDR bought NFR back from Interscope, will basically release it herself and doesn’t give a damn who buys or doesn’t buy it (she’s a millionaire already, probably many times over), a new release by a major artist produced by one of the hottest producers out there IS a significant commercial proposition with a lot of money riding on it, and thus one that needs to be promoted. A company cannot promote an anticipated new album when it is being sporadically released in dribs and drabs, amidst conflicting reports from the artist, and in such a manner that the non-Stan general public cannot get a sense of when they can purchase it.

So I don’t agree that everything (or anything) that has happened with NFR since last September represents some kind of brilliant release or product build-up strategy.

She didn't flop, she actually did really great with zero promotion for MAC, VB and Hope. Who can get 25M streams on a pure piano ballad that lasts more than 5 minutes without any promotion? Not a lot of artists. She never was streamed much and she's not flopping at all. A flop would be if she was as famous and popular as Ariana Grande and only got this amount of streams. But since she's not and she never took advantage of the streams, she's doing pretty great. I understand that when you think Lana Del Rey, you think big. But she never was that big. She just left a big impact on music and is praised.

Right. There are songs that are big on Top 40 radio, songs that have way more budget than Lana's and that have less views than Venice Bitch, Mariners Apartment Complex, etc. If you don't believe me, just google very recent Top 20 radio hit Undrunk by Fletcher and compare its views to recent Lana singles. Now that's what you can call a flop.

People will write articles calling Taylor Swift latest single a flop yet if Lana did 1/4 of her numbers,  it would be considered Thriller success for Lana lol.

Not all artists operate in the same sphere under the same rules. Not all singles and albums are intended to do the same thing. 

I think it's best if we all agree to disagree on this matter because lord knows this charting debate could go on for 10 more pages. :smokeney:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

wayament sis...that dont make no sense..my man

have y'all suddenly forgotten Lana is an album-centered artist and that's where most of her draw comes from?? :rip: the songs themselves on a chart might've flopped but that's quite literally the furthest objective anyone on her team was looking for when releasing the songs..we discussed this back when VB came out when she said that it was almost like a cruel joke on her team to be releasing a nine minute guitar ballad that morphs into some psychedelic shit with a curse word in the title; she knew it was everything a "lead" single SHOULDN'T be and even her managers were antsy about it

Lana is more of a long-term burn type of artist, her albums sell great and people look to those for her music rather than her singles like somebody would Selena Gomez or J. Lo; not to mention critically, Venice Bitch blew everybody out of the fucking water. it's no doubt that it's her best received song since Video Games..7 years into her career and she was hitting the same peaks, if not higher on such a anti-song to be randomly released. 20mil+ streams is great for such awkward songs, especially when two of them are something most listeners wouldn't want to play on repeat. (and with 0 promo...whatsoever, at least Love and LfL had big budget MVs and IRL advertisements). i hate giving whole ass paragraphs on here talking about actual subjects but some of u bitches...

i think people hear her songs that romanticise about money, success and being a huge star and maybe naturally assume world domination in her field is a goal of hers whether true or not.

i... wouldn't say i've ever regarded her as 'pop' but the reason i say that isn't out of music snobbery or any of that shit i haven't been bothered with since i was about 15, it's more that i feel 'pop' in the traditional sense is songs you can play in your car or as you cook or whatever without much engagement. they're catchy, they're fun, they talk about ass shaking or "i love you baby" to an upbeat melody. i'm not suggesting we don't also casually listen to her but we're stans, i feel like a lot of her music, especially since BTD is music you sit, listen to, pore over and "feel things" to and for mainstream radio that equals "misery" or "alternative"

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

I don’t care if lana charts or not I’m sure her label do to an extent. But she’s an indie artist.

The definition of indie is being unsigned/signed to a small independent record label. She's signed to a sub-label of one of the biggest record labels on the planet. She is not indie in any sense  :rip:

I just imagined what its going to be like when NFR is actually out and it was pure bliss... UGHHH my mindddd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfwH3Au8bTQ

i'm flying to the moon again, dreaming about heroin... 

iggy azealea quite literally is more of an indie artist than lana is

....sigh.... still disappointed

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Sometimes ‘Indie’ is erroneously seen as a musical genre like ‘Alternative,’ rather than meaning ‘on an independent label.’

I agree LDR is not Indie.

I just imagined what its going to be like when NFR is actually out and it was pure bliss... UGHHH my mindddd

every time i do this it hurts so good/bad (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`) so i try not to... it’s pure masochism at this point