Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

The singles aren’t coming at midnight right?

Probably Thursday at midnight, I’d expect

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I mean the song, not the whole album.

She could still release her unreleased songs.

that’s what i’m talking about. the song’s instrumentals are really nice.

I will never understand the hype around Honeymoon’s production.

that’s okay. not everyone is able to appreciate an ethereal body of work sonically and lyrically (except the stranger than a stranger line :creep:

jk ily

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

TNBAR is growing on me. I just feel like she could have said "I just want to be here with you" or something instead of "I just want to party with you." And maybe keep the "honey, how's it feeling/I told ya" outro.

As the worst song on NFR, it's still better than some of the best on LFL, though.

i do not and will not ever understand the way people haphazardly kick honeymoon to the curb like she is not the crowning jewel in Lana's discography.  When honeymoon came out i had not been following it at all so it was a total surprise to me and i listened to the album in full at a coffee shop with sunglasses on feelin myself people watching like Lana on the cover.  then the next day i headed to a witch cult gathering in the woods but i was having troubles with my boyfriend and was really feeling isolated and self destructive but also in love and dealing with all the drama that comes with that.  i took acid and slow danced to Freak.  i played Music To Watch Boys To outside an orgy.  i slowly drove around a small town listening to Honeymoon.  I got high to High By The Beach.  No I wasn't by the beach, i was in the forest, but the vibe translated well enough for me.  The music was brilliant, cohesive, amazing, stunning, hypnotic, mysterious, gorgeous, lush, deep, psychedelic, beautiful, all of these things.  I continued to listen to Honeymoon for months and months and even years after the fact.  in fact, i just put honeymoon on right now and i am immediately transported to a tense, beautiful universe where everything good is tinged with evil but it all tastes better that way.  This -- this is what music is supposed to sound like.  Incredible.  Flawless.  Lit rally timeless.

Norman Fucking Rockwell could never.  Could. Never. Even. Dream. of this level of elegance and mystique.  I like the album, I really do.  I like how Jacking Antonoff make the sparse, gentle atmosphere where you can hear all the cracks in Lana's voice and stuff.  It's pretty.  But the drama and atmosphere is like, gone.  Maybe it's gone from Lana's life and everything is light and breezy now.  Who knows.  But idk, I miss the magic. what can i say.  maybe it will grow on me.

lowkey same with the placement of grace in the video clip she showed, but she's written, recorded, and released LFA long since writing the greatest. I wouldn't be too worried

Grace?

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

TNBAR is growing on me. I just feel like she could have said "I just want to be here with you" or something instead of "I just want to party with you." And maybe keep the "honey, how's it feeling/I told ya" outro.

As the worst song on NFR, it's still better than some of the best on LFL, though.

But thats what makes the new lyrics make sense. The song is about how the two of them were creating the "best american record" but now she wants to try new things, go out, explore the world and get to know new things. If she said "I just want to be here with you" she would still be accepting to stay locked up in wherever they are while he works on the the next best american record. By saying she just wants to party with him, she's saying that she doesn't want to be locked up anymore working, she just wants to do something as trivial as party with him, go out, have fun. I have a lot of opinions about the new BAR, I like it a lot and I think the new lyrics really make sense. Sorry if I'm rambling.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

Oh no there’s a 320kbps going around. And trust me...

the level that track is on in HQ whew it gave me goosebumps to my fucking core holy hell

My twitter is @unlockcamo and my insta is @directorcameron. Do NOT DM 320 kbps on whichever of these accounts you prefer :creep:

mod note: user was warned for this post

Edited by Elle
Please do not request links to the leak of content set to be officially released.

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

My twitter is @unlockcamo and my insta is @directorcameron. Do NOT DM 320 kbps on whichever of these accounts you prefer :creep:

seems like you all LOVE to be banned...

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

i feel like i need someone to explain the tracklist to me, there's so many different styles on the album it doesn't feel cohesive even though i love most songs individually

I'll try & explain the connections I've made when I hear L4L (even though this is the NFR thread). For me, it's as if 1/2 of the tracks are more geared towards "Lust" & the other 1/2 towards "Life" (well, lusting for life amidst the fear of death). She scatters these 'lust' & 'life' tracks in a pattern. I don't care if this is a reach, but here's my track-by-track breakdown:

• "Love" -> life-affirming, since she's kinda addressing us (and addresses her self-love, towards the end)
  • "Lust for Life" -> lust, since it's more about her & The Weeknd's chemistry. The music video is also a fantasy.
  • "13 Beaches" -> life, given the beginning dialogue about not being other people & Lana's "dying for something real" 
  • "Cherry" -> lust; just hear that chorus again 
  • "White Mustang" -> This was a trickier song for me to mentally categorize, because it could be that she's looking back on someone she knew. But she also mentions "Armageddon", the man being a killer, & that "Summer's meant for lovin' & leavin'"... I would categorize this as a 'life' song. 
  • "Summer Bummer" -> lust, given the chorus bridge & A$AP Rocky's feature 
  • "Groupie Love" -> This song is like the opposite of ^ that's nonetheless attracted/attractive. I figure this is a 'life' song because it's almost like Lana's celebrating that she's got her man in A$AP Rocky. Plus, the applause at the very end makes it seem such. 
  • "In My Feelings" -> lust, because she's hyping herself up as the bad bitch she is
  • "Coachella - Woodstock in my mind" -> life, because she's calling out for sustaining something greater than her own individual actions
  • "God Bless America" -> In a break with this lust-life pattern I've categorized, I'd consider this a 'life' song. You can just tell from the title that she's celebrating female solidarity, and in the verses, she's affirming her own worth. 
  • "WTWWAWWJKD" -> I'd categorize this as a 'lust' song, but it's certainly slower than the other songs I labeled as 'lust' songs. When she addresses the girls, she knows not all of them can just go 'across the pond' to avoid the Trump administration. When she addresses the boys, she's calling out all their greed. 
  • "Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems" -> A 'life' song, because the lyrics present a more relatable/realistic situation (aside from the rivers running red with blood & walking through fire). 
  • "Tomorrow Never Came" -> A 'lust' song, even though it's another romantic duet, because of the lyrical content tying back to how Lana's hypothetical date didn't grow into a lasting relationship. 
  • "Heroin" -> From here until the album's conclusion, this pattern I made is broken. I'd consider this a 'lust' song because this is perhaps the darkest song on the album. Its placement on the track listing is akin to "The Blackest Day" off of Honeymoon. Not to mention the vibe where she's alluding to the Manson Family. Heroin's lyrics seem to be the (ir)rational outcome of Lana's lusting. 
  • "Change" -> Undoubtedly a 'life' song, and Lana's most personal song off the album. ALL of the lyrics are in the present tense here. The piano keys set up this so(m)ber vibe. (I imagine her sobering up here after letting go of the dark energy in the previous song). It's also the last song on the album to feature her falsetto voice. She also wraps up her 'summer', complete with harmonies, questioning her beauty & stability leading up to the falsetto-fied chorus. 
  • "Get Free" -> Now that Lana has released the dark energies, acknowledged the turmoil in this world (without compromising her values), and grown from her more vain expressions, she much more clearly sees & charts the path she's taking. She releases her negative energy by stating she 'crossed the threshold' & that 'the Crowley way of being' is gone. (Aleister Crowley was a famous practitioner of the occult arts, & was once described as the world's most wicked man). The pre-choruses suggest she won't allow herself to be consumed by society's false perceptions & projections of what an ideal life entails. She also indirectly states that she won't take us for granted, a suggestion made in 'Love'. And the 'out of the black, into the blue' lines feature increasingly contrasting harmonies, along with the keyboard sounds that I personally imagine as lighthouse lights, and along with the beach noises at the very end. 

All in all, I hope the Lust For Life album makes more sense for you if you perceive these songs as being complimentary coupled up!

Grace?

No no, here we are!

Grace.jpg

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Why would I be talking about groups who don't tour anymore? They are not relevant in a conversation about older bands touring. This conversation is regarding ageing bands, AKA those who DO still tour! 

With Iggy & The Stooges, they performed a lot from 2003 - 2008, ESPECIALLY the Weirdness tour (huge tour for them!!!) but a lot was put to a halt once Ron died! Not exactly comparable to Lana's situation, really!

wtf are you talking about valerie? they're completely relevant with the point i was making originally about lana's touring days at an aarp member and how lana could easily be one of them in the future. 

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

I love Honeymoon as much as the next gay, but let's not be overly nostalgic. :rip: 

This album is vastly superior in production, lyrics, and melodies and will prove to be much more well-regarded in the long run for that reason.