Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I get it - nostalgia plays a big part in our experience of music, but Honeymoon's lyrics were pretty laughable at times.

HM:

"We both know the history of violence that surrounds you"

"Your honey dew"

"Our honeymoon
Our honeymoon
Say you want me too
Say you want me too
Dark blue
Dark blue"

MTWBT:
"Pink flamingos always fascinated me."
"Hoes with lies akin to me"
"Velveteen and living single - it never felt that right to me"
"Nothing gold can stay - like love or lemonade"

"God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried"

HBTB:
:All I wanna do is get high by the beach
Get high by the beach, get high
All I wanna do is get by by the beach
Get by, baby, baby, bye bye
The truth is I never bought into your bullshit
When you would pay tribute to me 'cause I know that
All I wanted to do was get high by the beach
Get high, baby, baby, bye bye"

"Don't need your money, money
To get me what I want"

Freak:

"Be a freak like me, too"
"Stranger than a stranger"

"You're cold as ice, baby
But when you're nice, baby
You're so amazing in every way"

"Blue blue blue blue blue blue...blue"

Art Deco:
"Baby, you're so ghetto."

TBD"
"It's not simple, it's trigonometry
It's hard to express
I can't explain"

24:
"There's only 24 hours in a day"
"If you lie down with dogs, then you'll get fleas"

"Why you work so hard..."

I wish I had more time to fight but,

she sings "blue" 16 times in NFR (count 'em):

As you color me blue x 4

Blue, blue blue

Blue, blue

The end is literally:

You make me blue

Blue, blue, blue

Blue, blue, blue

So ... the fact that you're using her repetition of the word BLUE as part of your argument is pretty funny.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I really dont see how TNBAR is gonna fit into this record.. like at all. Production wise anyway, considering she hasn't changed anything about it. The whole album has a surf/beach vibe but BAR has those deep basey sound effects which is straight out of the lust for life era (13beaches style) so im confused as to why she didnt change it a little

it's so obvious it's from lfl even if you didn't know it, the production sounds pretty similar to white mustang not even correlating them just because of the mv

i love you, but you don't understand me.

your profile pic should really be the album cover

lets all remember pitchfork's ratings for LDR albums tho:

BTD - 5.5

UV - 7.1

HM - 7.5

LFL - 7.7

none of them break 8, LFL is highest, BTD is lowest, none are that good?  you listen to paid critics who get ad money for writing a certain view but not critics on lanaboards who are actual fans?? lol

Each review was written and scored by a different person. It's just an article that articulates well why her reason writing is superior.

This song is a perfect example of what Honeymoon is all about. The lyrics are meant to be poetic, to paint images on your head and take you on a journey. When I listen to Salvatore I automatically imagine myself in Italy, eating ice cream sitting by the sidewalk on a hot summer day while I watch cute guys walk by. "Pink flamingos always fascinated me" of course that line won't make sense but it paints a image on your head of you surrounded by flamingos and girls on a field (I see you Dua Lipa). It's not meant to be literal, it's poetry it's exquisite it's magical. 

Agreed. Honeymoon didn't click with me until I was baked out of my mind and could really internalise it all -- much of the album's gold is hidden in (and by) the subtleties of the soundscape, and it doesn't become too obvious until you really pay attention and let yourself get lost in the music. The soft, restrained production is a deceitful cover-up of the strikingly painful and dramatic emotions that drives the lyrics, melodies and harmonies. It does take a second thought to put your mind in the right perspective, and a second taste for your palettes to become acquainted. Although I'm not as excited for Jack's production -- it just seems like there's less of it than with Rick/Kieron -- I can't wait to really get to know NFR  :flutter:

I wish I had more time to fight but,

she sings "blue" 16 times in NFR (count 'em):

As you color me blue x 4

Blue, blue blue

Blue, blue

The end is literally:

You make me blue

Blue, blue, blue

Blue, blue, blue

So ... the fact that you're using her repetition of the word BLUE as part of your argument is pretty funny.

You're including a line in a...chorus when you say "x4." 

I don't like the succession of blues in NFR either, but I'd prefer a falsettoed outro over instruments than a monotone repetition of the word in the middle of a quiet verse.

Here reading the comparisons amongst NFR and HM and they just don't make any sense. They are nothing but absolutely different in gender and production terms. The change on NFR from what she's done before is so huge that it's no longer possible to understand it as a piece of the Lana del Rey we knew until LFL. Even if she brought something new on each of her previous albums, they all were structured towards her bombastic, opulent and distant queen persona, all the sound was quite theatrical and evocative of the character she was building. There's absolutely nothing left from that on NFR. Not a single trail of the grandiloquent sound and mindset she was developing since Born to Die. So, most of all, to avoid dissapointments from judging the album from an outdated vision, try to expect something absolutely new. If you don't, the fall may be huge and painful. And there's surely things to be enjoyed and highlighted in her new sound and artistic otuput, so no need for falling, actually.

not to sound local but born to die will always be her best lyrically, even if she had stupid cheesy lyrics like "coney island queen" every single one of those songs told a story and there was hardly any repetition which cannot be said about UV, HM or NFR   :toofunny:

i love you, but you don't understand me.

I get it - nostalgia plays a big part in our experience of music, but Honeymoon's lyrics were pretty laughable at times.

HM:

"We both know the history of violence that surrounds you"

"Your honey dew"

"Our honeymoon

Our honeymoon

Say you want me too

Say you want me too

Dark blue

Dark blue"

MTWBT:

"Pink flamingos always fascinated me."

"Hoes with lies akin to me"

"Velveteen and living single - it never felt that right to me"

"Nothing gold can stay - like love or lemonade"

"God knows I tried

God knows I tried

God knows I tried

God knows I tried

God knows I tried

God knows I tried

God knows I tried

God knows I tried"

HBTB:

:All I wanna do is get high by the beach

Get high, baby, baby, bye bye"

"Don't need your money, money

To get me what I want"

Freak:

"Be a freak like me, too"

"Stranger than a stranger"

"You're cold as ice, baby

But when you're nice, baby

You're so amazing in every way"

"Blue blue blue blue blue blue...blue"

Art Deco:

"Baby, you're so ghetto."

TBD"

"It's not simple, it's trigonometry

It's hard to express

I can't explain"

24:

"There's only 24 hours in a day"

"If you lie down with dogs, then you'll get fleas"

"Why you work so hard..."

"If you lie down with dogs, then you'll get fleas" - a common phrase, what's wrong with it? Nothing

"There's only 24 hours in a day and half as many ways for you to lie to me, my little love" - And?

"Stranger than a stranger" - Compared to "Grab my waist, don't waste" :rip:

"Blue blue blue blue blue blue...blue" - Which is also in NFR's title track, so? Not to mention "I just wanna dance with u, I just wanna dance with u, babyyy I just wanna dance...with u! Dance....with u!....Dance...With u! FUH IT I LOVE YUHHH FUH IT I LUH YUHHHHHH...CRIMSON AND CLOVER HONEY....CRIMSON AND CLOVER HONEY.....OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVERRR HONEYYYY"

"Pink flamingos always fascinated me." - And?

"Hoes with lies akin to me" - So? U think that's bad but "it's me ya little Venice bitch!" is brilliant? LMAO "Ice cream, ice queeeeen!!!"

"Velveteen and living single - it never felt that right to me" - Living a real life & living alone doesn't appeal to her. Where's bad?

"Nothing gold can stay - like love or lemonade" - reused in Venice Bitch

"Baby, you're so ghetto." - Crap but not as bad as:

Grab my waist, don't waste

Sing it for my babies on the tour life

I just wanna dance with you

Baby I just wanna dance with you

(Dance, with you, dance)

(Dance, with you)

We were so obsessed with writing the next best American record

Cause we were just that good

It was just that good

Ice cream, ice queen

Cool as heck

Whatever’s on tonight, I just wanna party with you

I'm taking off my bathing suit!

- Etc

"All I wanna do is get high by the beach

Get high, baby, baby, bye bye" -

Ok?

(Dance, with you, dance)

(Dance, with you)

With you

California dreamin’, I got my money on my mind

(Fuck it, I love you)

Chances in my veins, running out of time

(Fuck it, I love you)

(I really do)

(Fuck it, I love you)

(Fuck it, I love you)

(Fuck it, I love you)

(I really do)

:rip:

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

NFR is UV’s sedated cousin.

UV is how an extrovert feels when experiencing heartbreak, rage and pure pain. NFR is the introverts version on how they feel the exact same kind of things. There both similar but have clear differences aswell ...

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I really dont see how TNBAR is gonna fit into this record.. like at all. Production wise anyway, considering she hasn't changed anything about it. The whole album has a surf/beach vibe but BAR has those deep basey sound effects which is straight out of the lust for life era (13beaches style) so im confused as to why she didnt change it a little

Well, California sounds pretty dark, and dramatic. It doesn't scream surf/beach vibe to me, but more UV meets HM kinda vibe. It's pretty dark, and it being connected to The Next Best American Record, does kinda fit. The only thing I'm really upset about, is the change of lyrics, since the demo ones fit more than the final ones.

Perhaps it has a logical explanation, maybe she had to change them because of copyright? Problems with the original producers, or co-writers? I don't know, but it bothers me, really.

But musically, I think it does kinda fit, especially cause the other half of the album, sounds very dark (California, TNBAR, Bartender, Hope)

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

Also, most of you dragging NFR for filth, when the album isn't even out and you said you wouldn't listen to leaks... I must laugh  :toofunny: 

To be honest, each album is great on its own way, there's literally no comparison cause they're all different. 
Except for Lust For Life, because although it had a great concept, it was poorly executed, and the production was a mess. I think, it should have been an EP like Paradise, instead of an album...

1. 13 Beaches
2. Yosemite
3. When the World Was at War
4. Cherry 
5. Heroin
6. Beautiful People
7. Change
8. Malibu

lana had the chance to close off the album with the greatest..

The Greatest is amazing for sure... but it would be a depressing closure for the record. Hope is dark, and yet, to finish the album with those high notes in her «fragile voice» saying she has hope is just beautiful and heartbreaking. Like a way of saying that after that introspective sad-girl shit record, she is ok.

The Greatest is amazing for sure... but it would be a depressing closure for the record. Hope is dark, and yet, to finish the album with those high notes in her «fragile voice» saying she has hope is just beautiful and heartbreaking. Like a way of saying that after that introspective sad-girl shit record, she is ok.

I'm desperate to know what's the extended version is like... will it have a piano intro or a piano outro?