Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Another exciting speculation: she has nothing that we know of happening between now and June 22nd (Dublin show).

Think about it; each month we've gotten something:

September

Mariners Apartment Complex

BBC Radio 1 Interview with Annie Mac 

Venice Bitch

Beats Radio 1 Interview with Zane Lowe - album title revealed

Poetry book discussed in both interviews

October

a How to Disappear snippet

2nd snippet of Happiness is a Butterfly

4 snippets of Cinnamon (2 posted as clips, 2 on her story)

a "hope is a dangerous thing..." snippet (referred to as Sylvia Plath)

Instagram live where she previewed the production of How to Disappear

Apple event where she performed How to Disappear and Venice Bitch

November

Gucci Guilty launch party

Gucci LACMA event 

Breakthrough Prizes event 

December

Ally Coalition Talent Show with Jack - 2 new country/folk songs premiered 

British Fashion Awards event 

Instagram live where she told us the album is done + more info regarding the album cover 

January 

A snippet of a song dubbed "In Your Car" posted

Extended snippet of "hope is a dangerous thing..." posted + confirmation of poetry book nearing completion

hope is a dangerous thing... released + new press release about mid-2019 release

3rd snippet of Happiness is a Butterfly posted 

Gucci Guilty campaign launched 

February

interviews for Gucci Guilty discussing sound of the album + 13 tracks in total

Poems from the book posted on Instagram

March

Poems from the book posted on Instagram + update about binding it soon

BUKU festival

April/May (hypothetical)

Lead single - most likely Happiness is a Butterfly - released with music video

Magazine covers/interviews (we know one with Steven Klein for V Mag could be coming soon)

Maybe new snippets posted

Tracklist + cover art + release date revealed 

Maybe one more song released before the album 

Maybe poetry book released (most likely late April, May, or early June so album can come out in mid-late June)

June

Album released

Festival dates (https://lanadelrey.com/live/)

+ misc. promo

July

Festival dates

+ misc. promo

This makes sense, as we have 2 and a half months until her next announced endeavour. 

This seems realistic based on what she's said and it stays true to what she's known to do. It also is still very lowkey as she said she plans to do for this album. 

That's an interesting and thorough analysis of the situation. Even in the «dead months» , she gave us something. I realize that my expectations are always for music stuff and my own personal timeline of NFR's release sure wasn't hers. Friday was rough for all of us, even if I didn't expect anything to be released. I distanced myself this weekend from her and it was actually a good thing. Billie's new album is actually not bad and there is amazing music being out these days; I'll concentrate on that until her lead single. And anyways, she won't drop anything before at least another 2 weeks: Interscope will probably let Billie's release breathe before releasing anyone else. 

Guys, don't beat me for this pleeeease... But here's my thinkpiece

I think that Lana might be really burned out...

It would explain most of the clownery she's doing recently. Weird new friends, hobbies, clothes etc...

Not serving a look or live vocals going along these lines too... Her lyrics are a tiny bit lacking as well, cause name checking an artist or poet just to make a point feels a little bit cheap, like an easy way out to make you realize what she wants to say. Sylvia Plath literally screams "I'm not as happy as I look" as well as Norman Rockwell, who painted happiness that he never lived in. These references are a little too on the nose.

Anyways... My point is, that her possible exhaustion might be the reason of this delay and lack of communication.

I think it's positive that she's taking it slowly with the album... But as of now, she really puts F in NFR

This is Lana you're talking about... I couldn't even begin to list the amount of times she's name dropped historical figures... from born to die through to Hope.

Her exhaustion however, wouldn't be unlikely. Fame and money gets very hectic 

god-damn.png

Lowkey wonder if they would have trashed Billie's album too if it was released seven years ago... Let me just admit that I haven't played it so I don't really have a say, except for the songs the radio station won't stop playing.

Lana left such a mark on pop culture it's now easier for any new alternative acts like Billie for sure.. This is why even when BTD was trashed it's still considered as one of most iconic albums this decade. She literally showed critics that she was above them and they won't make the same mistake again. she's literally a jesus of alternative-pop music she almost died to make it easier for other alternative girls  :legend: 

Lana paved the way for mainstream artists putting out «sad or dark» music like Billie, in a way. 

I get why BTD got thrashed : it was very unusual, very honest and really not what female artists were putting out (strings? lyrics where she is so madly in love that any guy could really do anything to her?). Nobody knew who she was, and many speculated she was the talentless and voiceless puppet of big-ass male executives. She contrasted so much with the music of these years, where female singers were singing mostly about about false empowerment (meaning they were sex maniacs) with their dance moves. 

I'm literally at my last straw of hope for this era. If she doesn't pull something out of those tennis ball cheek fillers I will unstan  :crossed:

I think she'll say something in April, so no worries.

giphy.gif

Guys, don't beat me for this pleeeease... But here's my thinkpiece

I think that Lana might be really burned out...

It would explain most of the clownery she's doing recently. Weird new friends, hobbies, clothes etc...

Not serving a look or live vocals going along these lines too... Her lyrics are a tiny bit lacking as well, cause name checking an artist or poet just to make a point feels a little bit cheap, like an easy way out to make you realize what she wants to say. Sylvia Plath literally screams "I'm not as happy as I look" as well as Norman Rockwell, who painted happiness that he never lived in. These references are a little too on the nose.

Anyways... My point is, that her possible exhaustion might be the reason of this delay and lack of communication.

I think it's positive that she's taking it slowly with the album... But as of now, she really puts F in NFR

I don't think she is burned out. To me, the Vanity Fair interview back in January (or February?) is very revealing of her strategy for this era: I will put out music, but the way I want it. I feel like she wants to take a break from the things she did with the LFL era that were demanding and that she wants to do to a minimum of (less shows, less interviews where she has to justify every lyric, less make-up, less dress-up, less visuals, less engagements...). And she might be in a position where she doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore (the 3 singles so far are critically acclaimed and she did pretty much zero promo for them; she let the music speak for itself). 

As for her friends, I think we blame them too much for what is happening (I don't get why everyone is on their back and nobody blames some of the fuck boys she seems to be collecting for a couple of years; is it simply because she shows her friends on social medias and not her dates?). 

And as for the delays, who the fuck knows? If it is indeed a situation where Interscope wants a more catchy song to release as a single, she sure as hell can't talk to us about it ; if it is entirely in her power to release NFR, she must have a reason that we ignore yet (I trust her judgement on the matter, it's just her time management for each project that she sucks at, honestly). 

If y’all are interested this is the tweet that nearly gave me a heart attack

https://twitter.com/popdrave/status/1112111680832495616?s=12

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: 

«The computer crashed on the floor and we took it to the Apple store»  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: 

The fucker who wrote this is probably 14 and described what happened to his-her school project and must think that music is recorded the same way we work on a computer. 

I can’t believe it’s actually been a year since she posted the snippet of happiness is a butterfly and we still don’t have the song or the album....

I know we need to be patient and we might get some kind of news in April but tbh at this point I just feel like were going to get disappointed over and over again and idk if I can take it any longer.

I've listened to other artists and new releases but tbh Lana is the only artist I truly give a shit about and when she's messing with us it makes me hate her and I don't want to be like that but jesus h christ this woman is not easy to love.

2a4B.gif

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I know we need to be patient and we might get some kind of news in April but tbh at this point I just feel like were going to get disappointed over and over again and idk if I can take it any longer.

I've listened to other artists and new releases but tbh Lana is the only artist I truly give a shit about and when she's messing with us it makes me hate her and I don't want to be like that but jesus h christ this woman is not easy to love.

2a4B.gif

I don't even think we will get news in April. It's been dry for three months now, for those who don't care about the poetry at least.

I mean, it would feel so weird to get actual news now. Can you imagine having the tracklist, the cover, a date? what I can picture best is this meaningless cycle endlessly repeating itself over and over

What would she be tired from? Hanging out with friends 24/7? Because the 1 show she does every 3 months is certainly not a huge effort. (she lets playback sing instead of her)

NO ONE forced her to release this album. She is the one who made the announcement and put out 3 songs and 3 other snippets. None of us made her do this. So what if she is tired? upload the album. Then leave. No one expects her to promote anyway, she didn't do that in 6 years.

Different kind of tired... More mentally than physically.

It's hard to work if you kinda lost your muse or not passionate about it anymore.

I meant that she might be burned out and needs to take a break for couple of years

Stripped of my own life

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: 

«The computer crashed on the floor and we took it to the Apple store»  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: 

The fucker who wrote this is probably 14 and described what happened to his-her school project and must think that music is recorded the same way we work on a computer. 

i mean, apart from additional shit that's plugged in you can literally just make stuff on mac/macbook just plugged into interfaces and stuff in the studio. but even a computer falling off a desk wouldn't instantly destroy the hard drive

:toofunny:

plus if people think tens of thousands spent on studio time won't be backed u on an external anyway. bless these children

I don't even think we will get news in April. It's been dry for three months now, for those who don't care about the poetry at least.

I mean, it would feel so weird to get actual news now. Can you imagine having the tracklist, the cover, a date? what I can picture best is this meaningless cycle endlessly repeating itself over and over

same :pft:

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.