Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,019 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

The title track's fucking timeless. Go to the airport. Get on a plane, the intro reminds me so much of it and the feeling of soaring as you go up in the air, literally. Clouds, set on blue skies, sunlight from the day, the blinding sunbeams, but there's still this kind of sadness bc ur leaving the airport from the ones u love, from all types of love-sense. The ocean sparkling below if ur lucky via route/timing whatever

The piano literally sounds like it's rolling. I still get fucking visions of fine china, and horses galloping across streams, making the water dance like droplets. water droplets imitating gemstones in the air mid-flight That opening line. both lines that start the choruses. The patience it has. How beautiful it all sounds, yet how it's never in your face.

I'm honestly gay, but this track reminds me, quality wise, of the love of how usually women/feminine guys do. and how it just envelops you, but leaves as it ends, leaving you fucking confused after you realized that you let it get away. This track's a beautiful ghost, it reminds you of the one who got away. I'm sure we've all at least had that feeling where we had to leave when we still didn't want to, or was left to getting confused until the slow burn reached u a day. that's what this song is. it's a fucking echo of someone's love that ran out bc someone couldn't appreciate it. There's nothing as standout about it, from pieces, nothing too showy, or shiny. but put it together, it's what or who you miss. and it fucks you up. it's like, it's like it calls on a different kind of subconscious or intuition foresight, even (?) to be appreciated properly.

The horns at the end signal that departure, it's probably the most obvious in your face aspect of the track imo. But it's still so beautifully, juxtaposedly soft. Don't get me wrong, The greatest is AMAZING. But it still relies on novelties from past culture, kinda like precious imagery scrapbooking, that yeah although still incredibly well done, diminishes it's identity from a meta kind of sense. It's incredibly more wholesome without a doubt, but it's overall quality still drips of a pop star, not the love goddess ya guys still aspire her to be.

We can argue how the tracks, and opinions of it are subjective, that's always true. But I honestly think the title track's a lot more transcendent, while The greatest is still talking about the doom of a failing world. The poignant piano's gorgeous, but still warns of doom and fatalism. Would u really like Lana to be better remembered as that, like I get the beauty and comfort of it, TG, but I honestly think NFR is a tier higher: narratively, and in sound.

The already fleeting character of the track, just leaves you wanting more of the paradise she painted, left, leaving you wondering where tf she went. It adds more to who she is, and although difficult, the respect, valuing of self-worth, and protection of leaving, and the mystique she carries. Especially as hard as it is when you don't want to, but have to. It just seems so much more like her too

UV/Honeymoon

The title track is the best and most epic album opener of all time.

giphy.gif

Ok Jack

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I like the title track but to be honest I listen not that much to it. It's kinda strange but I never played that song beside a full album listening even though I like the track..

Personally I love that Lana uses horns on the outro of the title track and in the chorus of California

But I'm not sure if it is her best album opener...all her openers are pretty good

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

The title track is a fine song. The production and mastering is not. :facepalm:

I wish the piano didn't sound so tinny and cheap. Same goes for her vocals they sound unfortunately flat and drowned in this cheap-ish instrumentation. I'm still not sure why Lana and Jack went there with the production, it's not worthy of a Lana album (where's the intricacy and quality in recording?).

I guess it really sets the tone for the rest of the record, quality wise, it doesn't get much better (or worse) from that point on.  :smh:

I kinda like thinking that each opener's a gateway. So.

BtD: Dark alley bars, backstage fitting rooms, the blinding light that hits u when the spotlights on you
Paradise: Sunsets, and the horizon if that makes any sense 
UV: for me, this weird tunnel in the city that turns all psychedelic at night bc of the lights coming in and out of it 
HM: A secret garden, or some type of old Hollywood flick 
LFL: Into the past 
NFR: Heaven 

UV/Honeymoon

I kinda like thinking that each opener's a gateway. So.

BtD: Dark alley bars, backstage fitting rooms, the blinding light that hits u when the spotlights on you

Paradise: Sunsets, and the horizon if that makes any sense 

UV: for me, this weird tunnel in the city that turns all psychedelic at night bc of the lights coming in and out of it 

HM: A secret garden, or some type of old Hollywood flick 

Agree so much with this! 

Am I the only one that finds these year end (and decade end) reviews/critics to be the most absurd, but also hilarious?

The funniest part to me was reading in the year end list Pitchfork made, something along the line of: "she ignored the haters and plowed forward". As if those haters were not Pitchfork writers! What ratings did they give Born To Die again? 5.5? Didn't they also call the album something along the line of a "fake orgasm"? :rip:

With a lot of these publications, I feel like critics are trying to push down our throat this narrative that Lana started off as an inauthentic-untalented-rich-Daddy's-little-girl-nobody, but got slowly, but surely, increasingly better and more "honest" with each album, and Norman Fucking Rockwell! just happen to be her realest album, at the same time acting like her other albums are completely worthless. Also, acting as if it now sits on top of her discography. I have to laugh. :creep:

just thought more people should see this.

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

The title track's fucking timeless. Go to the airport. Get on a plane, the intro reminds me so much of it and the feeling of soaring as you go up in the air, literally. Clouds, set on blue skies, sunlight from the day, the blinding sunbeams, but there's still this kind of sadness bc ur leaving the airport from the ones u love, from all types of love-sense. The ocean sparkling below if ur lucky via route/timing whatever

The piano literally sounds like it's rolling. I still get fucking visions of fine china, and horses galloping across streams, making the water dance like droplets. water droplets imitating gemstones in the air mid-flight That opening line. both lines that start the choruses. The patience it has. How beautiful it all sounds, yet how it's never in your face.

I'm honestly gay, but this track reminds me, quality wise, of the love of how usually women/feminine guys do. and how it just envelops you, but leaves as it ends, leaving you fucking confused after you realized that you let it get away. This track's a beautiful ghost, it reminds you of the one who got away. I'm sure we've all at least had that feeling where we had to leave when we still didn't want to, or was left to getting confused until the slow burn reached u a day. that's what this song is. it's a fucking echo of someone's love that ran out bc someone couldn't appreciate it. There's nothing as standout about it, from pieces, nothing too showy, or shiny. but put it together, it's what or who you miss. and it fucks you up. it's like, it's like it calls on a different kind of subconscious or intuition foresight, even (?) to be appreciated properly.

The horns at the end signal that departure, it's probably the most obvious in your face aspect of the track imo. But it's still so beautifully, juxtaposedly soft. Don't get me wrong, The greatest is AMAZING. But it still relies on novelties from past culture, kinda like precious imagery scrapbooking, that yeah although still incredibly well done, diminishes it's identity from a meta kind of sense. It's incredibly more wholesome without a doubt, but it's overall quality still drips of a pop star, not the love goddess ya guys still aspire her to be.

We can argue how the tracks, and opinions of it are subjective, that's always true. But I honestly think the title track's a lot more transcendent, while The greatest is still talking about the doom of a failing world. The poignant piano's gorgeous, but still warns of doom and fatalism. Would u really like Lana to be better remembered as that, like I get the beauty and comfort of it, TG, but I honestly think NFR is a tier higher: narratively, and in sound.

The already fleeting character of the track, just leaves you wanting more of the paradise she painted, left, leaving you wondering where tf she went. It adds more to who she is, and although difficult, the respect, valuing of self-worth, and protection of leaving, and the mystique she carries. Especially as hard as it is when you don't want to, but have to. It just seems so much more like her too

I can tell you have a very high IQ and great taste just from reading this post.

4DBc.gif

why tf, of all tracks on NFR - including such decent songs as California, Fuh Ih I Luh Yuh, Venice Bitch, Cinnamon Girl, Happiness is a Butterfly, Mariners Apartment Complex, hell even the Greatest - does the title track get all this attention?  I have to be honest: It seems like people just didn't really have the time to listen to the whole album but some higher ups at these music publications decided this was gonna be Lana's year back in February and they just picked the first track because its title is most recognizable (as also being the album title) to laud and applaud...  Is it just me?

it's one of few flawless tracks on the album + the original singles got old as fuck by the time the album rolled out

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

I can tell you have a very high IQ and great taste just from reading this post.

4DBc.gif

I had this young crush on a guy that looked a lot like Antonoff, no, like better so I think he's cute. But I'm still not hopping on the daddy bandwagon lmaooooo I can see how others might think he's attractive, like maybe he has a hidden kink or two, or its hot when he takes charge bc he looks so innocent but hm, not for me to read so-

Eyo he did well on the track tho hm

UV/Honeymoon

I've come to the realization that Hope Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have-But I Have It is the best song on the album (and possibly the best song of Lana's career but I'll need more time with it to be able to conclude that). The title track comes in second. I still haven't figured out the third place, but it's between Venice Bitch, How To Disappear & The Greatest.

4DBc.gif

Noah fence but the title track isn’t that great tbh

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I kinda find it hilarious how NFR sounds so expensive, refined and sophisticated despite being the least (most casually) produced album of Lana's career. Just goes to show money can't buy style and class. Having Jack Antonoff as your producer also helps.

4DBc.gif

I kinda find it hilarious how NFR sounds so expensive, refined and sophisticated despite being the least (most casually) produced album of Lana's career. Just goes to show money can't buy style and class. Having Jack Antonoff as your producer also helps.

4DBc.gif

that's entirely subjective. imo, honeymoon is much more glamorous, luscious, and refined, whereas NFR is more raw, stripped back, and casual

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

I've come to the realization that Hope Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have-But I Have It is the best song on the album (and possibly the best song of Lana's career but I'll need more time with it to be able to conclude that). The title track comes in second. I still haven't figured out the third place, but it's between Venice Bitch, How To Disappear & The Greatest.

4DBc.gif

We love facts. I've been enjoying it since it came out and I'm STILL not sick of it

4DBc.gif

She is on how many Top-20-best-of-2019 lists now?!?! 

How come there's no video yet for the title track? Scrap the rest if it was bad, but come on, roll with the wave, girl! Don't you see that you actually have a good chance of winning AOTY?!?!? 

Proves that with so little promotion and music videos, NFR sold well and is being hailed as AOTY. 

The title track is a trump diss track.

Sis, what?

"You fucked me so good that I almost said I love you"

It's about all of the artistically-inclined, egotistical men she's dated. Gerald, for example.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream