Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

what does Jack's shit taste in your mouth?

Β 

This is a question I ask myself daily.Β  :hooker:

Β 

Some people here are giving way too much credits to Jackoff. He's good for Pop girlies I guess, as for the rest... let's just say that Lana has worked with more interesting and competent people.Β 

I just find that Lana has lost that sort of edge about her art, and she's become this sort of tamed, or bored if you will, version of what she used to do and/or be. I agree, her aesthetic and visuals were a very important part of her image, she definitely used to have this sort of mysterious aura both visually and musically. Which was very nice and interesting at the time. I understand that she probably doesn't want to have a high maintenance look anymore, it's a lot of effort, so it's totally understandable. Lana seems to be much more casual and relaxed which is great.

Β 

I honestly don't really care about that anymore the "image" she used to project. I'm more interested in the lyrics, the instrumentation, the vocals, the production... and to me NFR is not it.

Β 

I'm glad that there are people that actually live for it, and it's great to see critics finally warming up to her, but I just feel like it's too little too late. It all happens at a time where I feel like Lana herself is out of it, she clearly doesn't put the same amount of effort into her work, she even said so herself; how she wasn't that inspired for NFR. I do think that it showed. She doesn't even seem to be interested in it herself... how many songs has she actually performed from the album AND that without fans pressure?

Β 

I guess I've just been a fan for too long and she doesn't have the same appeal, musically speaking, as she once had on me.

I was talking about this with my girlfriend yesterday (She's also been a fan of Lana for a long time). We both really liked NFR!, but we expected more from Lana.

Honestly, it's a very good album, but it's far from perfect. Lana has clearly said that she doesn't care so much... And I think it ends up making her art a little simplistic, which may be good in some ways but bad in others. So we have an album of ups and downs. As a fan, I think Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are way above NFR!.

Unfounded criticism of her art has always bothered me. However, I am happy to see your work recognized with NFR!. But I would be deeply disappointed if, from now on, she did only what the industry and critics expect of her, contrary to what she purely wants (and that has always been her differential).

giphy.gif

An even bigger LOL @ people suddenly thinking that critics are right about Lana just because it validates your love for a single album of hers. Where were y'all at when Lana was being slandered publicly for seven fucking years? You don't find it hypocritical, but also disingenuous, of them to act as if Lana suddenly became good overnight? All the while, still treating the rest of her discography like shit? If I have to summarize all the bullshit I've read in those reviews year end/decade end lists, it's this: Lana has subsequently released subpar records, but somehow powered through criticism and hate (from those very same critics) and finally released one great record. So you guys agree with that I see.

Β 

People give way too much creds to critics. I've said it several posts back, critics don't create longevity for an artist, fans do and apparently a lot of people think that NFR is overhyped and overrated by critics.

Β 

Sometimes some of y'all should get out of the LanaBoards bubble and see the the light of the day. I've read thousands of Reddit posts, Tweets, and comments on both Facebook and Instagram about random people (not even hardcore Lana fans), as well as I've been in touch with several fans and casual fans, a lot of them think the album is being pushed by critics as some sort of modern time masterpiece, while it's just an ok record.

Β 

When you have an opinion different than the rest of the bunch and can articulate it well you're considered a hater now? This fucking website.Β  :rip:

Β 

I've been defending Lana online and sharing her music with friends and family for years, changing many people's opinion about her.

Β 

Not trying to be rude but it seems like you may be the one who needs to get out of the LanaBoards bubble, or rather the online bubble in general. Who cares that you've spoken with lots of people on Reddit and Twitter who think the album is just okay? We get it, you don't love the album, and there are other people that don't either. That's fine, but that says nothing about the longevity of an album. There are a lot more people who think it's a great album. Either way, Lana has nothing to worry about in terms of longevity. She's one of the defining artists of the decade and has clearly made a substantial mark on the music industry, and she's way past the point of being forgotten one day. I really don't get what you're trying to accomplish or convince people.

As for Lana being hailed as one of America's greatest living songwriters, that's not random at all considering there are couple of tracks here that literally sound like they could've been on some of the earlier Fiona albums.

Β 

as someone with both artists in the top of my spotify wrapped...nothing on nfr is better than even fiona's worst song. i'm not saying there isn't good songwriting on nfr,Β despite my critiques (mac? fuckin glorious, lyrically, for example), but lets not get ahead of ourselves hereΒ  :creep:

it's just the way i feel

as someone with both artists in the top of my spotify wrapped...nothing on nfr is better than even fiona's worst song. i'm not saying there isn't good songwriting on nfr,Β despite my critiques (mac? fuckin glorious, lyrically, for example), but lets not get ahead of ourselves hereΒ  :creep:

Lana's approach to songwriting is pretty different to Fiona's. however NFR (the song) is sonically similar to what Fiona did on her early records. The progression of NFR always reminds me of Love Ridden

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Lana's approach to songwriting is pretty different to Fiona's. however NFR (the song) is sonically similar to what Fiona did on her early records. The progression of NFR always reminds me of Love Ridden

Β 

oh yeah they absolutely had to have been consciously going for her vibe in producing that one (though i don't think the end product was altogether artistically successful, which is of course subjective), and i do hear exactly what you mean about the love ridden/nfr progression...the modulation into the chorus is so similar! love ridden is one of my very very favorite of fiona's songs, so anything with similarities like that will most likely suffer by comparison in my eyes

it's just the way i feel

Lana could never match or surpass Fiona, but she could become a more mainstream version of her, which would still be pretty amazing.Β 

Β 

The seeds have already been planted with NFR. Let's hope we start reaping the results as soon as the next album

tenor.gif

Lana could never match or surpass Fiona, but she could become a more mainstream version of her, which would still be pretty amazing.Β 

Β 

The seeds have already been planted with NFR. Let's hope we start reaping the results as soon as the next album

tenor.gif

continuing my campaign for a lana/jon brion collab

it's just the way i feel

I've been defending Lana online and sharing her music with friends and family for years, changing many people's opinion about her.

Β 

Not trying to be rude but it seems like you may be the one who needs to get out of the LanaBoards bubble, or rather the online bubble in general. Who cares that you've spoken with lots of people on Reddit and Twitter who think the album is just okay? We get it, you don't love the album, and there are other people that don't either. That's fine, but that says nothing about the longevity of an album. There are a lot more people who think it's a great album. Either way, Lana has nothing to worry about in terms of longevity. She's one of the defining artists of the decade and has clearly made a substantial mark on the music industry, and she's way past the point of being forgotten one day. I really don't get what you're trying to accomplish or convince people.

Β 

Nah I'm good. I log out everyday and fully enjoy my life out of this forum, listening to other artists than Lana. I'm actually living my best life right now I'm about to graduate college and I got a few very interesting job offerings and couldn't be more fulfilled with my social circle right now! But thanks for being concerned though!

Β 

However there is one thing that I don't agree with that you have written. I'm not trying to convince anyone here. I think that would be a little presumptuous, that is not my intention at all. I'm merely giving my two cents about NFR in the NFR thread.Β  :flutter:

Β 

It's kind of a moot discussion anyway, on one hand you have people that love the album, on the other people that don't particularly like it as much. Sorry, not accusing you of that, but it's kind of dumb to accuse me of trying to "change people" mind, when this is a critique that I could make about people coming here just to gloat about Lana's score on Metacritic or how high she made it in some objective year/decade end list. Using that as proof of the album alleged greatness or something.

Β 

Also bold of you to assume that there are more people who prefer the album over people that don't? Can't really tell right now. Let's wait a year shall we? I remember very well people quickly calling LFL her best album at the time of its release, look at it now... a mess.

Β 

It's the NFR thread and I'm sharing my experience with the album and that's how it should be.

Norman Fucking Rockwell = Political = Trump diss track = Left leaning = Using Norman Rockwell as the title

Mariners = Feminist anthem IM YOUR MAN

Venice Bitch = typical Lana song lyrically but with experimental production which saves it

Fuck It I Love You = self reflection song just like radio. Fuck it I love my self

Doin Time = Another feminist anthem because a female is singing it.

California = Political

TNBAM = Another diss feminist song

The greatest = Political

Hope = Self reflection feminist song.

Β 

Bartender in particular is more interesting in context of the album because it proceeds the greatest. Now she’s at the bar drinking because she’s fed up with trump.

Β 

Β 

The title Norman Fucking Rockwell = Political

Β 

giphy.gif

Β 

Pass the crack pipe to me. Thanks.Β 

Oh my god the way Taylor fucking Swift talked about Lana tonight, it was just so sweet and honest! give her that grammy promo girl

Β 

I don't like Taylor Swift but I appreciated what she said on Lana's behalf.Β 

I hope NFR gets a grammy so she can move on and start making another record that her record label hates like UV. I wonder how they liked this album, actually. Did Jack's name sell them on it before she showed them anything, or was the wait we all suffered caused bc of the label being dickheads and not wanting to allow her her freedom to put out this record? Hmmmm the things I think about

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I hope NFR gets a grammy so she can move on and start making another record that her record label hates like UV. I wonder how they liked this album, actually. Did Jack's name sell them on it before she showed them anything, or was the wait we all suffered caused bc of the label being dickheads and not wanting to allow her her freedom to put out this record? Hmmmm the things I think about

what wait? the wait was created by lana being a mess and wanting to release songs when the album wasn’t even close to being finished yet

Β i76mrxw.pngΒ 

I hope NFR gets a grammy so she can move on and start making another record that her record label hates like UV.Β 

Β 

if we got uv 2.0 i could maybe forgive this mess

it's just the way i feel

Nah I'm good. I log out everyday and fully enjoy my life out of this forum, listening to other artists than Lana. I'm actually living my best life right now I'm about to graduate college and I got a few very interesting job offerings and couldn't be more fulfilled with my social circle right now! But thanks for being concerned though!

Β 

However there is one thing that I don't agree with that you have written. I'm not trying to convince anyone here. I think that would be a little presumptuous, that is not my intention at all. I'm merely giving my two cents about NFR in the NFR thread.Β  :flutter:

Β 

It's kind of a moot discussion anyway, on one hand you have people that love the album, on the other people that don't particularly like it as much. Sorry, not accusing you of that, but it's kind of dumb to accuse me of trying to "change people" mind, when this is a critique that I could make about people coming here just to gloat about Lana's score on Metacritic or how high she made it in some objective year/decade end list. Using that as proof of the album alleged greatness or something.

Β 

Also bold of you to assume that there are more people who prefer the album over people that don't? Can't really tell right now. Let's wait a year shall we? I remember very well people quickly calling LFL her best album at the time of its release, look at it now... a mess.

Β 

It's the NFR thread and I'm sharing my experience with the album and that's how it should be.

Β 

Β 

"... merely giving my two cents"
If you left-click on "view replies" (52xx of them) it turns out you're the top responder for this thread. Just saying that's more than "2 cents".
Β 
"gloat about ..."

year/decade end list is news (one of the things I come to LB for) and not a *random* GP opinion.Β 

Β 
"Also bold of you to assume..."

While I agree more people haven't bought the album than have, I think the proper metric for discussion on "liking NFR relatively" is going to be sales. If it ends up selling more than UV or HM, that will say something much more meaningful than a bunch of internet posts do, even if the sales go against my particular opinion of what her best album is.

Β 
Comments not part of a response:
Β 
The only thing that makes me "sad" about NFR's critical acclaim is that it may make it (even) less likely she'll do her leaks/unreleased retrospective that she suggested she'd do (way back when, was it LFL era?).
Β 
Also I wish people would talk more specifically about NFR production attrocities (I mean name songs with timestamp specific-ness), so I'd know what they're talking about. It's not as self-evident to me. I also wish people would talk more about her AOTY competitors and what she's competing against. Seems like a strong set of contenders, but very diverse in the sense of why they are strong.Β 
Β 
I'm bored,Β  break up with your zeitgeist.

Not Taylor Swift doing more promo than Lana herself, we stan.

Β 

edit: PEOPLE ARE SO DESPERATE:Β https://twitter.com/globelamp/status/1205418374278324225

it’s her 10th tweet or so.

Β 

Can you link me to what Taylor said?

Β 

Also I’m kind of wondering if she considered all the year end buzz her Grammy campaign. I can see her not really caring so much about pushing it. Maybe a win would be more meaningful to her if she didn’t advocate for it. Like vindication in a sense. Either that or she just doesn’t want to put in the work/effort.