Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Call me delusional but... what if Lana is shooting the NFR music video again? The one she teased looked pretty basic and now that the song got a grammy nomination maybe she decided to make something more elaborate? That would be a smart move for her since she doesn't do live interviews or performances.

I think it will be cute if she does something in the vein of Enya's Caribbean Blue mv for NFR.

-Homeland of the Gods-

HTD is a Christmas Song

I still don’t understand why a few people say this. Most Christmas songs are more jazzy (probably because lots of them first came out when jazz was the most popular genre). Technically wouldn’t Honeymoon be the most Christmas-sounding album of hers? Nothing on NFR seems all that Christmassy to me (I guess possibly the title track?). How to Disappear sounds more like a folk/country rock ballad in my opinion.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

I still don’t understand why a few people say this. Most Christmas songs are more jazzy (probably because lots of them first came out when jazz was the most popular genre). Technically wouldn’t Honeymoon be the most Christmas-sounding album of hers? Nothing on NFR seems all that Christmassy to me (I guess possibly the title track?). How to Disappear sounds more like a folk/country rock ballad in my opinion.

It literally has jingle bells

It literally has jingle bells

That’s what I don’t get. Are jingle bells just associated with Christmas because there’s a song called Jingle Bells? Jingle bells are used in many genres of music and have been for over a century. And then Christmas music doesn’t even use jingle bells that often, especially in recent years. Jingle bells seem more folk rock or wall of sound than Christmas. Most Christmas music that uses jingle bells are from musicians that already often use jingle bells, so I don’t exactly get the connection.

I think the jingle bells are intentionally Christmas-y. The song sounds to me like a note from Lana in California to someone in NY during winter. She isn’t experiencing snow and winter but the person reading the note is. Like the “I watch the skies getting light as I write as I think about the years” is referring to the letter she is writing early in the morning.

I think the jingle bells are intentionally Christmas-y. The song sounds to me like a note from Lana in California to someone in NY during winter. She isn’t experiencing snow and winter but the person reading the note is.

There’s no subtext in the song that implies Christmas or even winter though. How to Disappear isn’t River. They sound more like a homage to The Beach Boys or The Byrds, or even Fleetwood Mac. They just sound nostalgic like the rest of the song. If anything, they just seem to emphasize the lyrics, especially when they come in, like she’s stressing to us how much he really means to her. I feel like the current “jingle bells = Christmas” mindset is limiting people from seeing the song as anything except a Christmas song even though there’s nothing to suggest the song even relates to winter or any holidays.

Here's my take. The volume increasing and the jingle bells becoming more prominent toward the end of HTD reflect a musical irony (in the non-Alanis-Morissette sense) of the person singing getting stronger and more life anchored, even though the person she has sung about has done the reverse (i.e., disappeared). Of course, for Lanaboards, the jingle bells and increasing volume at that part of the song reflect irony in the Alanis-Morissette sense (i.e., just something bad happening).

There’s no subtext in the song that implies Christmas or even winter though. How to Disappear isn’t River. They sound more like a homage to The Beach Boys or The Byrds, or even Fleetwood Mac. They just sound nostalgic like the rest of the song. If anything, they just seem to emphasize the lyrics, especially when they come in, like she’s stressing to us how much he really means to her. I feel like the current “jingle bells = Christmas” mindset is limiting people from seeing the song as anything except a Christmas song even though there’s nothing to suggest the song even relates to winter or any holidays.

It’s definitely not a Christmas or winter song. It’s about Southern California! I don’t think they’re ‘jingle bells,’ I think it’s a tambourine. What do the song credits state? Certainly not jingle bells.

It’s definitely not a Christmas or winter song. It’s about Southern California! I don’t think they’re ‘jingle bells,’ I think it’s a tambourine. What do the song credits state? Certainly not jingle bells.

The credits don’t mention tambourines or jingle bells. I assume they’re included in percussion, so it’s not very specific. If they’re tambourines, they’re probably layered, but you’re right that it could be either. That’s why I keep mentioning Fleetwood Mac too because they kinda remind me of Stevie’s tambourine.

The credits don’t mention tambourines or jingle bells. I assume they’re included in percussion, so it’s not very specific. If they’re tambourines, they’re probably layered, but you’re right that it could be either. That’s why I keep mentioning Fleetwood Mac too because they kinda remind me of Stevie’s tambourine.

Thanks, RD.

I must confess I never knew what Jack looked like, so when I started seeing gifs of him on this board, my first thought was that they were from a meme about a parody of some autistic man spazing out.

mod note: user was warned for this post

Edited by admin
please do not make jokes about autism

The "tt-t" in Bartender sound to me like the sound of a bottle opening ... Did anyone else notice that?

(But it can also just be an illusion of this guy here, who works listening to this sound almost all day, seven days a week. So...)

giphy.gif