Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/08/241923/lana-del-rey-album-taylor-swift-jack-antonoff

So she didnt know Ts album was dropping the previous week before? Wew..if she had known before hand maybe she wouldve released it on Aug 9... her managers suck.

Also. Metacritic user score is improving. Yall go give our queen a 10 right now!!!. When do the critic reviews get updated tho?

The piano on the title track is so amazing

source.gif

I’m so excited to see what the needle drop has to say about this album

If he gives it less than a 7 then I'm giving up on him lmao

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

Omg this whole time I thought the lyrics in cinnamon girl were ‘kiss me in my heels’ .. and I was like ‘yeah okay typical Lana lyric .. whatever’ but I found out it’s ‘Kerosene in my hands

You make me mad, on fire again’... her vintage mind amazes me wow oh wow

My favorite part of the song. She sounds so pouty and unhappy that she'll just torch your house and stomp off in the street afterward and I support this attitude.

does the black line on the left of the album cover bother anyone else?

heck yes! It's so lazy which fucker submitted it  :deadbanana: It's a major album release not a school article sis could you make the effort to upload the right file. 

god-damn.png

heck yes! It's so lazy which fucker submitted it  :deadbanana: It's a major album release not a school article sis could you make the effort to upload the right file.

Maybe it’s there on purpose. Idk, she’s fucking with us I think, and we live for it

What’s this devotion? You really seem like a good man
Bodies or oceans, I cling to you like your mainland

The only song I’m having a hard time warming up to is California

It’s the second half of the chorus that kinda ruins the song for me. It’s still far from bad but it comes across as cheesy to me for some reason. I mean, Lana’s usual lyrical cliches are present all over this record but it doesn’t really work on this track imo. Though the delivery definitely calls back the playfulness of Born to Die for me and I love it for that. Plus that outro being heavily reminiscent of PWYC is everything.

So, after listening a few times I have to say that this record is deftinitly one of my favs from her. It  reallymade me fall in love with her music agan. I was kinda over her, because my music taste had eveolved into a pretty different direction ever since ~ 2015 and Lust For Life was a big disappointment. Even though it has some of my favourite tracks from her, the messy album as a whole, with stuff like the terrible Shrieknd-Collab, the Coachella disaster, the faux-deep politicals songs etc. really made me think I was over her. I only casually listened to some f her songs, sometimes out of nostalgia, sometimes as a sort of guilty pleasure.

But NFR really draw me back into her art. It's such a well crafted album!

Fuck It I Love You really became my favourite track of the album. When it was released together with The greatest, I instantly loved TG and thought of FIILY as a cute, nice-to-have-song. The week before the album release was a week where I had some days off in between university stuff and plans-with-friends and I spent the last hot days of the german summer at the public swimming pool in my town. I often went there alone, swimming, reading, listening to music - and within this atmosphere FIILY really clicked with me. The surfer vibe, the summery feeling contrasting the introspective, melancholic lyrics ... I really adore this song by now. (Funny enough I link Heroin to a quite similar period in my life, during the summer of 2017)

California is definitly a very epic track, something you can only listen to when you're in the right mood because it's so ... dominant. But the lyrics are really powerful and moving. The "even though we aren't in contact anymore, I'll still have your back when you need me" motif is something rarely found in Lanas music, which makes this track even more touching.

Happiness is a butterfly was the song I was the least excited for - I disliked the snippets she posted on IG, especially the ones of the verses. However, listening to the full track with all its parts in their right context ... it became one of my top 3 songs from the album. The intro line  "Do you want me or do you not?" already deeply moves me and I love the way the song floats between sadness, hope, anger and a kind of romantic atmosphere.

Bartender is a very interesting song aswell. At first glance, it seems like Old Moneys little sister - less oldschool-glamour but kind of the same simple elegance. But then you notice the underlying anxiety, the "rush" within the songs clamness ... You can envision driving through the night with the fast passing neon lights blurring to some kind of scary pulse. It's a very special track indeed!

I really don't mind How To Disappears final production. Yes, it kind of takes away from her vocal deivery and the wonderful storytelling within the lyrics, but the whole weirdness of it and the sentimental kitsch somehow elevates it onto another degree of quality.

MAC and VB grew on me alot, I can finally accept the (inferior) new lyrics to TNBAR and I got this slight on-off-realtionship with Doin Time, where sometimes I think it's a lot of fun and sometimes its existence within the album's tracklist irritates me.
I still stand by the thought that releasing HIADT as a single was a bad idea since it kind of took away A LOT of the effect the song would have had as an album closer if it was still some sort of suprise during the first listen. It's such a heavy, impactful song that you are often tempted to skip it when you know what's coming for you.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I know y’all prolly all got this a long time ago but i just realized FIILY is in direct reference to NFR’s line “You fucked me so good that I almost said I love you” and then she’s saying, well... “fuck it, I love you” I love those little details

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I know y’all prolly all got this a long time ago but i just realized FIILY is in direct reference to NFR’s line “You fucked me so good that I almost said I love you” and then she’s saying, well... “fuck it, I love you” I love those little details

her mind  :flutter:

There's a storyline for the whole album if you look better at some little details and you make a connection between each song

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

I love how she was asked if the album is referred to as NFR and she was like, "no", as if it was news to her ... yet it's on the censored cover, on her pop-up merch, on this banner .... 

Silly sis. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream