Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

4 minutes ago, LemonadeHeavens said:

this ALBUM is coming this WEEKEND and you can't DENY THAT

Mariah Carey Auld Lang Syne GIF | Gfycat

The amount of faith you STILL have...I need some of it  :krylie:

omg this thread I can't believe I have to say this :oprah2:

22 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

If you were correct, every song, every movie, every television show of any merit would always and only be written and produced by individuals of the same group being featured

I understand your confusion, as it's a phase that everyone must go through to properly understand this. But this statement is correct, and modern society is slowly adapting to this idea. Only people with lived experience, particularly of minority or disenfranchised groups, should be making art or a comment about it. In the past it had not been addressed, but antiquated views that people are entitled to tell whatever stories they want without any actual experience are thankfully being quickly eroded. Just as men should not be decision makers on issues like abortion, if you're not Chinese, you should not write a Chinese character, nor should you play one. As a cis white man, it would be culturally insensitive and problematic for me to direct a performance of an entire cast of female identifying individuals about topics I have no experience on like the feminine gaze, misogyny, female sex work etc. 

Likewise, if Lana wrote somehow from a trans point of view, it would be disingenuous and insulting for an artist with star power to assume the lived experience of a group that is persecuted and still not of equal rights in our society. For people who disagree, it is very telling that you probably haven't had your rights violated or stripped back to the extent that people make assumptions on your life or talked over you/about you on what you are living through. It's very hurtful and counter productive for progressive understanding and empathy.

I would love and welcome an opportunity to discuss this in another thread that isn't about Chemtrails (please feel free to start one). I agree that it is slightly more difficult to tell stories to the same creative extent but there are of course ways to transition and make sure a work is sensitive and well informed. Again, I understand your thought, but as you can see with global events, this is in the spotlight more than ever, and the idea that artists can't be provocateurs is very different to artists writing on a subject that have no lived experience with.

Can we pls just go back to shit posting and dreaming about our upcoming album.

Signed,

takeitdoen

MFA - Masters of Directing for Live Performance 

3lfQEhw.png

5 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I agree. I don’t think the song is sung from the POV of a trans woman. I only said, as people were griping about the song and its title without hearing it, that, in 2020, ‘woman’ obviously doesn’t only have one meaning or one connotation, so let’s wait until we hear the actual song before we make Woke assumptions and jump all over that MOST un-PC song title. 

definitely think the forum's w ya on that forsure. and I'll b honest I wasn't really keeping up w everyone on that bc I know it'll sort itself out, but we'll just have to listen to it to really say anything substantial about it, agree. whether or not the title's pc or not, again, we just gotta wait :dance:

UV/Honeymoon