Elle

Text Book

1 hour ago, evalionisameme said:

Hm mixed thoughts, I just briefly listened to Tulsa whilst half deaf and I could hear it properly, I’m hoping the mixing vocally is done well as the voice is fuller.

the BLM reference in Text book was just bad..all the things I couldnt want for him makes it seem like her father is black and that’s why she’s protesting? Like it’s a choice structure of sentence, I screamed for them is also very white saviour.

what are you talking about.. you're reaching so hard LMFAO

11 hours ago, strange weather said:

But perhaps the BLM rallies were what ultimately came between her and Sean? There he was, with "shining stars" (makes me think of being patriotic) and "standing blue" (blue lives matter) and at the rally he really saw where she stood and that drove a wedge between them?

I also had that thought when I heard the song. Sean doesn't have a Thunderbird, specifically, but he does have a Cadillac DeVille - There is a "slight" similarity between them. And see how interesting: "Brentwood" is a neighborhood in Los Angeles, but Brentwood is also a neighborhood in Broken Arrow / Tulsa, Oklahoma. ?

it reminds me of nina simone actually. 

she loves/d him but not for that. and she's having/had regrets, and she wish she broke her daddy issues and the fact that it turned out different set her free
she was low, but then she woke up in self awareness to what really mattered and the illusion broke 

and she wanted to see her father like bc she realized a lot and she thought that seeing her dad after all these realizations was a completion of a cycle or that splendor could be sarcastic and bc she glorified him as a figure she wishes she never had to realities that he's just human which parallels how difficult to be woken up past the spotlight set on one's self 

so she's saying she's changed. it was uncomfortable, to the point of no reconciliation and it's heartbreaking like a montague and capulet situation in how its now forbidden to her own value set and she wishes she could rewrite how things were with him that he'd change that she could re-write that which is why its titled textbook. and another thing in how textbooks are objective in their facts, but it's difficult actually living thru it so the title sort of hommages that concept. ohmygod i need sleep but i think I've encapsulated it better now it makes sense I win imma sleep now

UV/Honeymoon

5 hours ago, honey dew said:

Text Book is my favourite Lana song period I cant fault it 10/10 she made another true masterpiece on par with WC and Ride??? The effortless tempo fluctuation the gorgeous melody and chords the heartbreaking LYRICS the return of "Daddy" can anyone else relate to what I'm feeling rn I feel so at peace

'at peace' is actually the best way to describe what im feeling about the songs too :flutter: THESE are songs that me in 2013/2014 (aka Lana peak eras) would be hoping for, and so happy to know the future existence of. 

2 hours ago, not all who wander r lost said:

read through the lyrics the entire chorus makes sense

Literally. Text Book's chorus feels personal and yet still like a statement, both intertwined together in perfect harmony. With LFL it was only statements. Now she's looking DEEP within and asks important questions.

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

"Old man river keeps rolling"

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but that seems a reference to the song "Old Man River", sung by Paul Robeson, whose art was strongly linked to politics anti-racist. For those interested:

http://blog.nyfos.org/old-man-river-sung-paul-robeson

Text Book is for all my besties with undiagnosed SEVERE daddy issues. We finally have a proper dad song :krylie:

Also is this lyric about Pat and her influence of Lana too?

"And then there was the issue of her / I didn't even like myself, or love the life I had"

7 hours ago, honey dew said:

Text Book is my favourite Lana song period I cant fault it 10/10 she made another true masterpiece on par with WC and Ride??? The effortless tempo fluctuation the gorgeous melody and chords the heartbreaking LYRICS the return of "Daddy" can anyone else relate to what I'm feeling rn I feel so at peace

it's the best out of the three. it's like a mix of UV and Honeymoon a little.

:crai:

18 minutes ago, kitschesque said:

Text Book is for all my besties with undiagnosed SEVERE daddy issues. We finally have a proper dad song :krylie:

Also is this lyric about Pat and her influence of Lana too?

"And then there was the issue of her / I didn't even like myself, or love the life I had"

What the hell happened in the Grant household?? I mean things seem to be ok between Lana and Pat then all of a sudden....

Then there's Chuck's beautiful posts about her mom every mother's day and birthday on Instagram then all of a sudden stopped around 2018.

The pics of mother and daughter were always so sweet. Seriously what happened?

original.png

7b01f04c2fbd0e29f9212877e5acd00e.jpg

3de82d3e47b9686e500b24b2fc3ff01b.jpg

Since these new songs have heavy lyrics that seem to be about her mother, that's why I bring it up.

2 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

What the hell happened in the Grant household?? I mean things seem to be ok between Lana and Pat then all of a sudden....

Then there's Chuck's beautiful posts about her mom every mother's day and birthday on Instagram then all of a sudden stopped around 2018.

original.png

Since these new songs have heavy lyrics that seem to be about her mother, that's why I bring it up.

Maybe her siblings didn't know? Or thought that it was normal growing up like that. Sometimes people try to forget traumatic events and brush it off to live normal lives.  Lana seems to be in a journey of healing and acknowledging problems is the first step 

2 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Maybe her siblings didn't know? Or thought that it was normal growing up like that. Sometimes people try to forget traumatic events and brush it off to live normal lives.  Lana seems to be in a journey of healing and acknowledging problems is the first step 

Yes! Especially with both BB and the Mothers Day post mentioning her girlfriends. Maybe she never really figured out what issues she developed growing up but friendships (and hopefully therapy) helped her realize. I'm so happy she's growing as a person

2 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Also pictures dont show everything. And tough relationships can be complicated. There are often good moments and terrible moments dispersed throughout 

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

2 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

original.png

my guess is that they never really have been in good terms, I guess for a while lana and pat had an okay relationship because lana became successful and she has a good relationship with rob and maybe they tried to make peace but I think something else might have happened and lana decided to step away from her for good

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

6 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

the BLM reference in Text book was just bad..all the things I couldnt want for him makes it seem like her father is black and that’s why she’s protesting? Like it’s a choice structure of sentence, I screamed for them is also very white saviour.

5 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

it’s disjointed and badly worded, BLM shouldn’t be in the song as a throwaway lyric it just sounds disconnected like she threw two sets of lyrics together.

I really don't think it was added as a throwaway lyric, it fits perfectly. She's been through a brutal year where a bunch of idiots who know nothing about her have called her a racist, a Karen, a Trump supporter, etc., and obviously none of that is true. The lyric is sincere and places the song in a very specific and challenging time. She's solidifying the fact that that's who she is, and then brings it back to the theme of the song by wishing her father was with her, and reflecting on the disconnect on the lives they live. 

Not to mention the fact that Lana fans will be singing along to the song forever now. Having people repeat "black lives matter" even if it's just in a song is a lot more powerful than people who post on social media and then do nothing beyond that to support a cause. People dragging her for that will drag her for anything.