Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

866 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

This trio-single is still one of my favorite release from Lana :

ldr-best.png

Wildflower Wildfire is one of my favorite (or my n°1 favorite) song from her, it's so impactful, elegant, and majestic,

Text Book has a unique vibe, fresh, cool and hypnotic (a bright version of the West Coast persona)

Blue Banisters is a strong ballad, (another) one of my favorite, a pure bliss of beauty and smartness

I come back to this triangle of songs very often.

And the covers are iconic for... what it is.

The rest of Blue Banisters (the album) is an instant skip to me

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

2 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

what artist or engineer DOESNT CARE ABOUT CLIPPING :bebe: thats just so bad n unacceptable 

It happens a lot now unfortunately even on some Kanye songs-

too many artists on recording iPhones aswell which shouldn’t be used for recording vocals because they’re not programmed for it.

3 minutes ago, Lavender Sunshine said:

Me with Textbook, WW and a couple other songs on BB calm-and-shook.gif

I mean, some songs have grown on me... I used to think Textbook was hideous, but now I quite like it...

I still think this is her worst album, but I don't think any song is horrible anymore :true:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

i fr love this album a lot!!! minus dealer, nectar of the gods, trio interlude & WFWF  (im sorry, those drums just... :lolno:) tho

beautiful n cherry blossom do get old a little fast but i can appreciate them now & then

my very fave is def living legend<3 & title track, black bathing suit, violets for roses, thunder, text book, arcadia, sweet carolina & if you lie down with me are all very solid for me

1 minute ago, plastiscguy said:

I mean, some songs have grown on me... I used to think Textbook was hideous, but now I quite like it...

I still think this is her worst album, but I don't think any song is horrible anymore :true:

I actually like BB, but with that amount of previously unreleased songs like Cherry blossom and NOTG (which are great, don't get me wrong), I have to place it among my least favourite albums by her

4 hours ago, Vertimus said:

I think it's this: she used to be writing from her own experience but in a manner that was for a public, an audience, of some kind. In other words, she extrapolated her personal experience into something many or most could relate to, made it 'universal,' and that was part of her genius in that era. 

But since NFR! she's been 'inward gazing' a lot more and 'outward looking' a lot less. 

So I get the sense that she's now writing 100% what she wants to write, produce, and release, free of any feeling that she has to write for an audience of any kind.

Actually, this might have started with 'Honeymoon,' which she said she more-or-less created to please herself, and then taken a reversal with the more-fan-and-radio friendly LFL.  

But then she went full-tilt back into creating whatever she wants, free of any thoughts about her public, or a public, period. So we hear a lot more about walking to the mall, watching television, meeting for coffee, and doing the laundry--not exactly the stuff of of tense risk-taking, passion, and romance. 

Sometimes, as artists mature, they do leave the 'general public' behind--look at Joni Mitchell--she not only left the 'general public' behind after 'Court & Spark,' she left most of her diehard fans behind too, starting with 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns.'

In a Rolling Stone interview, she said, 'I'm going to be criticized regardless, and I'd rather be criticized for changing and doing what I want rather than for staying the same." 

nice. apply this to yourself with lana now 

tbh i don't even know what people mean when they say a song has "clipping". maybe i'm dumb but at least i'm happy so i don't mind not seeing the production flaws or whatever. but sound quality has never been a big deal for me anyway. i care more about the songs themselves.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

On 4/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, Lindsay Lohan said:

Text Book: 2/10 (one of the worst songs of her career)

On 4/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, Lindsay Lohan said:

Black Bathing Suit: 3/10 (Horribly produced song about being fat and being rich so you don't care about the haters yet a song was made about it.. sloppy)

this is fucking insane :horror:

4 hours ago, Vertimus said:

I think it's this: she used to be writing from her own experience but in a manner that was for a public, an audience, of some kind. In other words, she extrapolated her personal experience into something many or most could relate to, made it 'universal,' and that was part of her genius in that era. 

But since NFR! she's been 'inward gazing' a lot more and 'outward looking' a lot less. 

So I get the sense that she's now writing 100% what she wants to write, produce, and release, free of any feeling that she has to write for an audience of any kind.

Actually, this might have started with 'Honeymoon,' which she said she more-or-less created to please herself, and then taken a reversal with the more-fan-and-radio friendly LFL.  

But then she went full-tilt back into creating whatever she wants, free of any thoughts about her public, or a public, period. So we hear a lot more about walking to the mall, watching television, meeting for coffee, and doing the laundry--not exactly the stuff of of tense risk-taking, passion, and romance. 

Sometimes, as artists mature, they do leave the 'general public' behind--look at Joni Mitchell--she not only left the 'general public' behind after 'Court & Spark,' she left most of her diehard fans behind too, starting with 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns.'

In a Rolling Stone interview, she said, 'I'm going to be criticized regardless, and I'd rather be criticized for changing and doing what I want rather than for staying the same." 

I think her introspection in the last albums has also a lot to do with COVID-19 

31 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

tbh i don't even know what people mean when they say a song has "clipping". maybe i'm dumb but at least i'm happy so i don't mind not seeing the production flaws or whatever. but sound quality has never been a big deal for me anyway. i care more about the songs themselves.

I mean you can research yourself- I agree the songs take precedent but again do you want to damage speakers you’ve bought for a song you like?

Clipping occurs when you’re overpowering or overloading a signal which is not healthy for electronics 

Just now, evalionisameme said:

I mean you can research yourself- I agree the songs take precedent but again do you want to damage speakers you’ve bought for a song you like?

Clipping occurs when you’re overpowering or overloading a signal which is not healthy for electronics 

girl its gonna take a lot more than that to damage my speakers. i've listened to so many bad quality bootlegs from the 70s super loud and my speakers handle it just fine and they're vintage. maybe newer speakers aren't as durable or something. like its a valid thing to be concerned about but its just not relevant to me and i'm fine with that

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

Y'all talk more about this album you hate so much more than your favorite LDR records. Always on your mind!

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

girl its gonna take a lot more than that to damage my speakers. i've listened to so many bad quality bootlegs from the 70s super loud and my speakers handle it just fine and they're vintage. maybe newer speakers aren't as durable or something. like its a valid thing to be concerned about but its just not relevant to me and i'm fine with that

Oh I’m not saying it will happen and again I think there’s a difference between what’s on Lanas records and amp clipping? But even still clipping is just bad practice generally and her engineers get paid to reduce the likelihood of this when recording her vocals.

47 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

I think her introspection in the last albums has also a lot to do with COVID-19 

Very likely, since it had that effect on most of us. and she refers to it on BBS and VFR. 

1 hour ago, TRENCH said:

nice. apply this to yourself with lana now 

Yes-- that's why I mentioned it in the first place, that Lana knows she is a critical target and would prefer to be criticized for evolving than for staying the same. 

10 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I thought we had confirmation? 
how would a mic feed even be kept? 
someone needs to look at the file again lol but maybe you’re right tbf.

Putting this in the apt thread. I actually ran both FLAC files (purchased from HighResAudio) through an Audio Scan (from Audirvana) and this was the result: 

Cherry Blossom 

Screenshot-2023-02-13-at-10-18-41-PM.png

Detected quality: MP3 96kbps (YouTube Rip) 

Thunder 

Screenshot-2023-04-08-at-1-51-36-PM.png

Detected quality: 24/44.1 HiRes 

So, if I had to guess, I would say Lana still had the vocal stem from the original "Thunder", however, she recorded that while listening to the demo instrumental through her headphones, which leaked into the mic feed--which is why we hear a bit of the demo instrumental in the final version. 

I don't think there's any audio processor good enough to have taken the YouTube rip of the "Thunder" demo and been able to strip the vocals out so cleanly. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

On 4/6/2023 at 4:42 AM, TrashMagiq said:

I'll never get the narrative so many push that BB is (one of) her strongest lyrically. To me BB is her worst album lyrically (and worst album in general). BTD, UV and Honeymoon, etc are lyrically Far superior than this album, and it's not even close. I know people have their own taste and opinions but I genuinely think that people that find songs like Blue Banisters or Text Book or whatever better lyrically than songs like Off To The Races, Terrence Loves You or Heroin have bad taste. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I just genuinely think those opinions show a bad taste level :toofunny:

it will always annoy me how people equate stripped down sonics to “deep” lyrics… like no, sometimes the music is stripped to highlight the lyrics sure! but it doesn’t mean that they are good

it really all just stems down from this egotistical view that somehow they “understand” poetic deep lyricism and because the music isn’t bombastic and interesting and loud it makes them seem cooler or whatever… like no buddy a bunch of Joni Mitchell tracks are literally one instrument and have more soul and heart and quote on quote “poetic lyrics” then tracks like Nectar of The Gods and it’s horrible guitar playing and baffling lyrics

basically - good music is a mixture of both good sonics and good lyrics, however those come about