Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

i dislike interludes, ESPECIALLY when they're not really listenable, maybe artists add them onto albums to tell some sort of story, but i just feel like they're taking up space where another actual song could be, this seems like something tinashe does a lot, it's so stupid, i was listening through "dirt" by alice in chains yesterday, there's some great stuff on that album, but there's this 44-second interlude called "untitled" which doesn't seem to serve any purpose to me, at least "horse latitudes" by the doors has some sort of spoken-word piece but it'd still never listen to it

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

15 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i dislike interludes, ESPECIALLY when they're not really listenable, maybe artists add them onto albums to tell some sort of story, but i just feel like they're taking up space where another actual song could be, this seems like something tinashe does a lot, it's so stupid, i was listening through "dirt" by alice in chains yesterday, there's some great stuff on that album, but there's this 44-second interlude called "untitled" which doesn't seem to serve any purpose to me, at least "horse latitudes" by the doors has some sort of spoken-word piece but it'd still never listen to it

Yeah Janet and Tinashe are the worst at useless interludes :toofunny:

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor is kind of overrated...

I mean, it's obviously great and one of the peaks of her career (the production is perfect) but I think some of the songs sound much better as the live versions she did for the Confessions tour (Let it Will Be, Future Lovers, Jump), because they drag on a little bit when you listen to the actual album. 

I think that in terms of innovation, Music is much more creative :bebe: like, she basically created a genre called folktronica (folk + electronic music) and Don't Tell Me is straight up a masterpiece. 

Confessions has more commercial appeal and more hits but Music is just so cool 

45 minutes ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

Yeah Janet is the worst at useless interludes :toofunny:

ngl they're camp but i usually just edit them into the main song instead of having them as their own track

31 minutes ago, honeymoonwhore said:

Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor is kind of overrated...

I mean, it's obviously great and one of the peaks of her career (the production is perfect) but I think some of the songs sound much better as the live versions she did for the Confessions tour (Let it Will Be, Future Lovers, Jump), because they drag on a little bit when you listen to the actual album. 

I think that in terms of innovation, Music is much more creative :bebe: like, she basically created a genre called folktronica (folk + electronic music) and Don't Tell Me is straight up a masterpiece. 

Confessions has more commercial appeal and more hits but Music is just so cool 

i honestly think both albums are just ok - they have some excellent songs but they feel madonna by the numbers

confessions is just really good dance pop which she did a lot of before 2005 and often better than some of the weaker confessions tracks, and music is just a weaker version of american life :bebe:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

15 minutes ago, the ocean said:

music is just a weaker version of american life :bebe:

take it back now :willcut: 

jk I get what you mean, but imo AL is the antithesis of Music, obviously after 2001 and the Iraq war she couldn't explore americana imagery and american folk like (I think?) she intended to, I understand. I would never say a Madonna album is bad, but for me it's very hard to listen to AL - it's so sad and agressive (again, I understand why though, she was mad). 

You're such an American Life apologist I see you :oopna: is it your favorite M album by chance? 

43 minutes ago, honeymoonwhore said:

You're such an American Life apologist I see you :oopna: is it your favorite M album by chance? 

i can't really pick a madonna album as my favorite because she has so many good albums but it's probably the most personally meaningful album of hers to me :trisha:

tbh my madonna album ranking probably qualifies as an unpopular opinion so let me just post it

Spoiler

proper albums, plus the Who's That Girl soundtrack, I'm Breathless & Something To Remember are listed as normal - other albums I felt were notable enough to rate but aren't proper albums or the listed exceptions I italicized

*ascending* (virtually perfect, all killer no filler)

American Life
Erotica

(these 2 are equally rated at 10/10 - they're basically perfect albums to me where every song is memorable and contributes to the album, excellent sequencing, just a perfect execution)

Weddings! Funerals! (extremely good, might have one slightly weaker track or might be less memorable than the first tier but it's still at least 9.5/10)

Like A Prayer - 9.5/10 (all killer no filler, only downmarked because love song & promise to try are not necessarily her most iconic tracks although they are still incredibly great tracks that are integral to the album)
The Immaculate Collection - 9.2/10 (well sequenced & the remixes often improve the song - i also really like the mixing on the album - marked points off for not including dress you up & oh father but i also understand that you can only fit so many songs on a CD)
Ray Of Light - 8.9/10 (very good album, shanti/ashtangi is slightly less good than the rest)
Bedtime Stories - 8.5/10 (a really solid effort but a bit uninspired, obviously took some notes from the current trends at the time even if they were executed very well - survival & don't stop are a bit fillery, take a bow should've been saved for something to remember)
The Confessions Tour - 8.2/10 (notable enough to include on it's own because it improves on the weaker confessions tracks, reworks beloved hits & is just a well mixed live album)
Madonna (The First Album) - 7.9/10 (every song on this album is good and i wouldn't say there's any filler but the quality of each song is generally lower than the above albums, even if the above albums might include weaker songs than the weakest song on this album)

It Was A Moment (the album has some incredibly good songs but it's not her best work and it could've been better)

You Can Dance - 7.4/10 (some of the remixes weren't needed & it's suited more for dancing than listening but that's what it was intended for lol - still a generally fun listen)
True Blue - 7.2/10 (6 of the songs are career defining songs, the other 4 are mediocre filler - however the 6 iconic songs are so iconic that the album has to be rated highly)
Confessions On A Dance Floor - 7/10 (the production is god tier & the transitions are god tier but the songs themselves are just very good - also there's a very noticeable lull in the middle of the album)
Finally Enough Love - 6.8/10 (good remix selections - i think they could've selected better songs for the standard and it's not super essential overall)
Hard Candy - 6.6/10 (very underrated and a lot of songs are really good :oprah3: - she's not me could've been trimmed down, incredible & spanish lesson could've not been released)
Music - 6.4/10 (it's a bit limp ngl - impressive instant & don't tell me onward are excellent, the other 5 tracks are a bit stale and uninspired - nobody's perfect in particular makes me want to turn the album off and throw it into a fire)
Madame X - 6.1/10 (she shouldn't sing in portuguese again, and it could've been a LOT shorter - still there's some absolutely essential songs here and i think it's overall an underrated album)

She Tried (the album could definitely be better, some songs are really good but overall it's not essential)

Rebel Heart - 5.7/10 (a definite step up from MDNAY but not as good as madame x - it's overall really solid but there's also some extremely obvious filler that was just an attempt at grabbing a younger audience that didn't buy what she was selling)
Something To Remember - 5.5/10 (a well compiled compilation of her ballads up to that point, i don't think that it's generally that memorable though - the new tracks for the most part are not great & the previously released songs shit on the new ones - this used to be my playground is a notable exception because it's one of the worst songs she's ever made)
Celebration - 5.2/10 (there's really nothing to complain about other than it simply just not being iconic enough - it's boring)
Who's That Girl soundtrack - 4.6/10 (causing a commotion is a bop and a half, can't stop is cute, the other 2 are not that good)
I'm Breathless - 4.3/10 (it's not a bad album at all and there's some genuine highlights - i just don't like show tunes or anything show tunes-adjacent)
GHV2 - 4/10 (obviously all the songs are good but it's not compiled well at all for a greatest hits album)

B-A-D Madonna (these are bad albums with the exception of a few songs on each album because madonna still has decent songs on her flop albums)

Like A Virgin - 3.5/10 (shoo-bee-doo & angel are cute, the rest of the album is either mixed poorly or just bland - dress me up is the best song on the album but the single remix shits on the album version so hard that the album version sounds bad in comparison)
MDNA - 1.5/10 (what is this hunny... taking i don't give a, love spent & falling free and the rest can go to the cokehead gaga stans that like chromatica)

Dua Lipa has some bops, and despite her stans claiming she improved her stage presence, she still comes across as being incredibly manufactured to me. She has no range, she's all face value and fabricated "sex appeal".

8 hours ago, the ocean said:

i can't really pick a madonna album as my favorite because she has so many good albums but it's probably the most personally meaningful album of hers to me :trisha:

tbh my madonna album ranking probably qualifies as an unpopular opinion so let me just post it

Reveal hidden contents

proper albums, plus the Who's That Girl soundtrack, I'm Breathless & Something To Remember are listed as normal - other albums I felt were notable enough to rate but aren't proper albums or the listed exceptions I italicized

*ascending* (virtually perfect, all killer no filler)

American Life
Erotica

(these 2 are equally rated at 10/10 - they're basically perfect albums to me where every song is memorable and contributes to the album, excellent sequencing, just a perfect execution)

Weddings! Funerals! (extremely good, might have one slightly weaker track or might be less memorable than the first tier but it's still at least 9.5/10)

Like A Prayer - 9.5/10 (all killer no filler, only downmarked because love song & promise to try are not necessarily her most iconic tracks although they are still incredibly great tracks that are integral to the album)
The Immaculate Collection - 9.2/10 (well sequenced & the remixes often improve the song - i also really like the mixing on the album - marked points off for not including dress you up & oh father but i also understand that you can only fit so many songs on a CD)
Ray Of Light - 8.9/10 (very good album, shanti/ashtangi is slightly less good than the rest)
Bedtime Stories - 8.5/10 (a really solid effort but a bit uninspired, obviously took some notes from the current trends at the time even if they were executed very well - survival & don't stop are a bit fillery, take a bow should've been saved for something to remember)
The Confessions Tour - 8.2/10 (notable enough to include on it's own because it improves on the weaker confessions tracks, reworks beloved hits & is just a well mixed live album)
Madonna (The First Album) - 7.9/10 (every song on this album is good and i wouldn't say there's any filler but the quality of each song is generally lower than the above albums, even if the above albums might include weaker songs than the weakest song on this album)

It Was A Moment (the album has some incredibly good songs but it's not her best work and it could've been better)

You Can Dance - 7.4/10 (some of the remixes weren't needed & it's suited more for dancing than listening but that's what it was intended for lol - still a generally fun listen)
True Blue - 7.2/10 (6 of the songs are career defining songs, the other 4 are mediocre filler - however the 6 iconic songs are so iconic that the album has to be rated highly)
Confessions On A Dance Floor - 7/10 (the production is god tier & the transitions are god tier but the songs themselves are just very good - also there's a very noticeable lull in the middle of the album)
Finally Enough Love - 6.8/10 (good remix selections - i think they could've selected better songs for the standard and it's not super essential overall)
Hard Candy - 6.6/10 (very underrated and a lot of songs are really good :oprah3: - she's not me could've been trimmed down, incredible & spanish lesson could've not been released)
Music - 6.4/10 (it's a bit limp ngl - impressive instant & don't tell me onward are excellent, the other 5 tracks are a bit stale and uninspired - nobody's perfect in particular makes me want to turn the album off and throw it into a fire)
Madame X - 6.1/10 (she shouldn't sing in portuguese again, and it could've been a LOT shorter - still there's some absolutely essential songs here and i think it's overall an underrated album)

She Tried (the album could definitely be better, some songs are really good but overall it's not essential)

Rebel Heart - 5.7/10 (a definite step up from MDNAY but not as good as madame x - it's overall really solid but there's also some extremely obvious filler that was just an attempt at grabbing a younger audience that didn't buy what she was selling)
Something To Remember - 5.5/10 (a well compiled compilation of her ballads up to that point, i don't think that it's generally that memorable though - the new tracks for the most part are not great & the previously released songs shit on the new ones - this used to be my playground is a notable exception because it's one of the worst songs she's ever made)
Celebration - 5.2/10 (there's really nothing to complain about other than it simply just not being iconic enough - it's boring)
Who's That Girl soundtrack - 4.6/10 (causing a commotion is a bop and a half, can't stop is cute, the other 2 are not that good)
I'm Breathless - 4.3/10 (it's not a bad album at all and there's some genuine highlights - i just don't like show tunes or anything show tunes-adjacent)
GHV2 - 4/10 (obviously all the songs are good but it's not compiled well at all for a greatest hits album)

B-A-D Madonna (these are bad albums with the exception of a few songs on each album because madonna still has decent songs on her flop albums)

Like A Virgin - 3.5/10 (shoo-bee-doo & angel are cute, the rest of the album is either mixed poorly or just bland - dress me up is the best song on the album but the single remix shits on the album version so hard that the album version sounds bad in comparison)
MDNA - 1.5/10 (what is this hunny... taking i don't give a, love spent & falling free and the rest can go to the cokehead gaga stans that like chromatica)

Oh my god I didn’t know other American life apologists existed :bebe: 

only extremely intelligent people can understand the brilliance and legend of that album. I feel sorry for those that can’t. :bebe: 

Just now, littleredpartydress said:

Oh my god I didn’t know other American life apologists existed :bebe:

only extremely intelligent people can understand the brilliance and legend of that album. I feel sorry for those that can’t. :bebe: 

no exactly :true:

it's such a genius album and if you don't get it then that's your loss :nails:

27 minutes ago, ImenaOphelia said:

I hate Phoebe Bridgers, her whole discography is just unlistenable for me :biblio:

I love punisher but honestly her first album is fucking boring :awkney2:

ↀ  ⟡   last.fm

9 hours ago, ImenaOphelia said:

I hate Phoebe Bridgers, her whole discography is just unlistenable for me :biblio:

i'm saying......i have tried to listen to her many times and i don't think i'm hearing what her fans hear. she truly has an undesirable tone.

1 hour ago, letterblue said:

i'm saying......i have tried to listen to her many times and i don't think i'm hearing what her fans hear. she truly has an undesirable tone.

She sounds like she's trying so hard to be edgy, I listened to Punisher in its entirety and I just thought two songs were good and the rest was cringy or unmemorable

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

11 hours ago, ImenaOphelia said:

Phoebe Bridgers, her whole discography is just unlistenable for me :biblio:

I love maybe 3 of her songs, but the rest don’t resonate with me at all—the same goes for Mitski:bebe:

Both Mitski and Phoebe have made some of my favorite songs of all time, but 99% of their discographies…not for me:um2:

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

15 minutes ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

She sounds like she's trying so hard to be edgy, I listened to Punisher in its entirety and I just thought two songs were good and the rest was cringy or unmemorable

this is really random but who's the third person in your signature? :defeated: i recognize everybody else lol

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123